another bowfishing question - rest preferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another bowfishing question - rest preferences

roller, biscuit, or rubber flipper type (trad style)

Flipper epoxied on

Comment

On my AMS Fish Hawk and my Oneida Screaming Eagle I have wave roller rests.... on my wife's recurve she shoots it off the shelf.
      Last edited by DrenalinJunkie; 06-19-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I have a AMS roller on my setup.
        Mike

Comment

Off the shelf, and if the bow will not allow this I modify the bow so I can shoot from the shelf.

Comment

I like the whisker bisquit, but I do a lot of river wading and such and it makes it much easier......

Comment

I really like the solid Delren rollers.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                I like the whisker bisquit, but I do a lot of river wading and such and it makes it much easier......
                I will second that......... when we were wading, I was wishing I had a bisquit myself. I have never shot a fishing rig with one on it so I may have to try that out one day.

Comment

Roller

Comment

How does the biscuit hold up? Wondered if the slide and wire on the fishing arrows would tear it up.

Comment

Originally posted by bcdawg1 View Post
                      How does the biscuit hold up? Wondered if the slide and wire on the fishing arrows would tear it up.
                      Unless you are going for really big fish or gators, you don't need the arrows with the wire and break away tips.

Comment

i have always shot off the shelf

Comment

Back when we were bowfishing for really big gar, I tried many types of rest and found that modifying the shelf and installing a piece of plastic shaped in a "V", (not a deep "V", just enough to allow the arrow to settle in the groove) seemed to be the answer for me....We were shooting some big gar down around the Beaumont area in rice canels that went to the bay. The big gar would come into the canels to spawn. We would walk along the bank and shoot these monsters...the best day we had 13 gar that were over 6' long..the biggest was 7'4"....the canels were maybe 15 yards wide.....once you had an arrow in one of these you would run down the bank until you could get another arrow into it....or rigs were compounds that were 70-80 lbs...shoot thru hoop reals and 300 pound test parachute cord...

Comment

Excellent input guys on this and my other bowfishing threads, thanks.

Got the bowfishing bug and lost self control yesterday.....had decided the PSE Kingfisher was in my price range (unfortunately the Barracuda and Fishhawk were more than I could justify spending on just breaking into this hobby). Called around Houston looking for the PSE Kingfisher as I was looking for instant gratification and to try it out this weekend. Everybody could get it in a couple weeks, found a couple in stock in Victoria but both were 40# (wanting 45#, probably not a significant diff but had it in my head that I wanted a 45#). Lots of the Kingfisher kits available on ebay but also would take a couple weeks to get. After more research I ended up ordering a 45# Martin Jaguar TD and a roller rest yesterday, will be here next week. Already have a reel seat, Zebco 808 and 4 fish arrows...so nothing to try out this weekend but will hopefully be up and running for the weekend of the 4th.

Comment

We build up the shelf on the bow with some epoxy or bondo, creating a "U" notch for the arrow to rest in, somewhat like Mr. Murphey's piece of plastic that he described above. I've found that's the only setup I can count on being able to return the arrow to the shelf instinctively with, without looking at it, which comes in handy if you knock the arrow off the rest as you are preparing a shot.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X