Wolf Hunt Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolf Hunt Recommendations?

Odd request but has anybody gone on any kind of wolf hunt before? I've got the itch to shoot one and wanted to see if anybody here could offer some recommendations/outfitters.

I would guess 95% of wolf kills are opportunistic. I would guess success odds when setting out to just hunt wolves here in alaska aren't even in the double digits.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
      I would guess 95% of wolf kills are opportunistic. I would guess success odds when setting out to just hunt wolves here in alaska aren't even in the double digits.
      I appreciate the info. I may go a different route then if they're that hard to hunt.

Comment

I've heard of outfitters that do this but have never been myself. I've also heard that it's not uncommon to call them in in Idaho when trying to call in elk.

Comment

I've been told many many times that apparently wearing a red hooded cape will bring them in....

Comment

A hunting buddy went on one in Canada. Said it was a long boring cold hunt. Sat on a right away all day for a week until he finally got a shot over bait.

Comment

All Terrain Bear Hunting offers wolf hunting over bait. They have taken some huge wolves. You should check them out. The Bear hunt was 1st class. I would think the wolf hunt would be just as good.
              Last edited by Robert; 02-01-2023, 05:35 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Go on a mountain caribou hunt in the Yukon or NWT combo hunt
                Or springtime snowmobile hunt in the same

Very very expensive to wolf hunt

Comment

There are some outfitters in Canada that apparently have pretty good success by anchoring dead cows to the ice in the middle of frozen lakes. There are also outfitters that will let you run trap lines with them. Those are pretty successful too.

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
                    I appreciate the info. I may go a different route then if they're that hard to hunt.
                    There's 3 packs all within about an hour and a half of where I live and I only know of a few people that have trapped or shot any and it doesn't happen often. I could have killed one recently but didn't have a rifle with me, just a shotgun. It would have been one of those opportunistic kills.

I'm sure there are outfitters who advertise hunts for them here in AK, as well as ID, and Canada.

Here's two outfitters just from a quick google:

Green Rocks Wilderness Lodge in Petersburg, Alaska specializes in Wolf Hunting on Kupreanof Island. Click here to book your trip today.

Comment

I went on a moose hunt with Love Bros. and Lee in BC and killed one. We actually saw/heard them every day. The outfitter said they are really hurting the moose and caribou populations. I think it was an extra $100 tag or something like that. Not sure if anyone up there does solo wolf hunts though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Black wolf 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	24705438

Name:	Black Wolf.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	24705439

Comment

What do you think that thing weighed Derrik? Sucker looks huge!

Comment

We saw them multiple times in Alaska while on Caribou and Moose hunts. Could have killed a couple but my wife put the stop on it when she saw them and thought they were just too beautiful........

Comment

Wolf hunt is at the top of my wish list. There are outfitters in Ca that offer wolf hunts over bait in winter, some even using heated blinds, but success rates are not typically as high as other species.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                              What do you think that thing weighed Derrik? Sucker looks huge!
                              He was probably 100-120 I'm guessing. I think the conditions keep them from being real big like the Yellowstone wolves.

Name:	Game Room.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	24705443

Comment

Working...
                              X