The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
    That’s funny because we have all gone to Osprey type packs for packing out. We use smaller hunting type packs for hunting but have backpacking type packs in the truck for hauling out meat. My hunting partner hauled out 120 pounds in an Osprey 5500- I’m not carrying 120 pounds period [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to know what my first load weighed last year. All my hunting gear, one hind quarter, both back straps and both tenderloins. When you have to put your pack on sitting down you know it’s getting heavy.

Comment

First rifle elk unit 70 public land. This is also my first elk and mountain hunt.

Comment

OTC in Colorado, first year elk hunting. I've been spending all of my free time on Google Maps, OnX, Podcasts, and more.

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        I have one of the Mountain Smith LT tarps and that shelter is awesome. I took it to Colorado two years ago up above timberline. We had a bad storm roll in and it held up like a champ. I’m not using it this year, let me know if you need to borrow it.

I'm pretty set on buying one but I seriously appreciate the offer, JT.

Without a tarp weight included, my sleep setup is 3.56lbs using a NEMO Tensor Sleeping Pad and REI Lumen 20* bag. I wanted to bring my hammock but the ENO Double Nest and straps was an extra 40oz or something.. Our plan is two 4-5 day loops and I'll be right around 39lbs including water and food.
        Last edited by Patton; 07-16-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
          From my experience of 30 years of buying the wrong stuff this is what I have found to work in the back country. 1st I don't shop on "hunting" web-sites, go to the backpacking web-sites because when it comes to walking in the mountains for days at a time the backpackers know what they are doing. 2nd weight is everything, I when from a 6 lb hunting pack to a 3 lb backpackers pack, from a 3.5 lb (20°) sleeping bag to a 18 oz (20°) sleeping bag. 3rd Hiking boots not hunting boots and I wouldn't go with the really stiff ones unless you have about 2 years to break them in. 4th If you don't 100% need it don't take it, I've burned a lot of things on a mountain so I wouldn't have to carry them any longer. LOL
          Hope this helps someone.
          I think this was true up until about 5 years ago. Everything I've bought is off hunting sites, whether its Stone Glacier (Or Kifaru, or Mystery Ranch) for packs, Go hunt for a bag/pad/bivy/headlamps/food, boots from Kenetrek, everything besides my tent came from a hunting site.

To answer OP:
          Tent: Hilleberg 2 man Nallo GT
          Bag: Marmot 20 degree (Plus bag liner and bivy Sack)
          Boots: Kenetrek
          Pack: Stone Glacier Sky 5900
          Power Supply: Dark Energy 10,000 mA
          Cooking: MSR Jet Boil
          Water: SteriPEN and Nalgene with Iodine as backup.
          Trek Poles: Black Diamond Ergo Trail

Thats the big stuff. Also run OnX on my phone. My pack on the way in is ~50 lbs not including rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            I think this was true up until about 5 years ago. Everything I've bought is off hunting sites, whether its Stone Glacier (Or Kifaru, or Mystery Ranch) for packs, Go hunt for a bag/pad/bivy/headlamps/food, boots from Kenetrek, everything besides my tent came from a hunting site.

To answer OP:
            Tent: Hilleberg 2 man Nallo GT
            Bag: Marmot 20 degree (Plus bag liner and bivy Sack)
            Boots: Kenetrek
            Pack: Stone Glacier Sky 5900
            Power Supply: Dark Energy 10,000 mA
            Cooking: MSR Jet Boil
            Water: SteriPEN and Nalgene with Iodine as backup.
            Trek Poles: Black Diamond Ergo Trail

Thats the big stuff. Also run OnX on my phone. My pack on the way in is ~50 lbs not including rifle.
            How do you like the Sky 5900? When I was choosing a pack, it came down to the Kifaru Reckoning and the SG 5900. I ultimately went with the Kifaru, but I'm betting the SG is awesome too. X-Curve frame?

Comment

Here are a few of my items that I'm very happy with and wont go without.

Big Angus Fly Creek UL1 - Tent 1lb 11oz

ZPack Quilt - Sleeping Bag 18oz (20 degree)

Thermarest Z Lite - Pad (not the blow up type, get a leak and your on the ground all week.) 14oz

Platypus GravityWorks - Water Filter

Osprey Atmos 65 - Backpack 4lb
              Last edited by 7sdad; 07-16-2018, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Right now a pack is the lowest on my list to replace. I use an arc'teryx and it has served me well. Not that I don't want a Kifaru or something similar. Dang things are EXPENSIVE! But well worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                  Right now a pack is the lowest on my list to replace. I use an arc'teryx and it has served me well. Not that I don't want a Kifaru or something similar. Dang things are EXPENSIVE! But well worth the money.

The good thing about a Kifaru is once you buy the frame your good forever. Then you can play around with bags until you find the one you like.

Comment

Socks!!! I have a few pairs of these: https://darntough.com/
                    I run two pairs for the back country. They dry overnight and a quick rinse in the creek keeps them fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
                      That’s funny because we have all gone to Osprey type packs for packing out. We use smaller hunting type packs for hunting but have backpacking type packs in the truck for hauling out meat. My hunting partner hauled out 120 pounds in an Osprey 5500- I’m not carrying 120 pounds period [emoji23]

Measured 120 or estimated? I’m actually shocked the stay points and strap attackments didn’t break. I’ve broken a few Osprey and Mountain Hardware packs in the past. My biggest complaint on those packs outside the scary barreling with weight, is the non functioning hip belts/lumbar pad, and durability

I personally couldn’t recommend an osprey or Mountainhardwear, Kelty etc in a budget segment over some of the aluminum farmers out there. I think the big four in pack out packs, MR, Kifaru, EXO, SG exist for that very reason. Safer more dependable option over mass produced light weight hauling type packs.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                        How do you like the Sky 5900? When I was choosing a pack, it came down to the Kifaru Reckoning and the SG 5900. I ultimately went with the Kifaru, but I'm betting the SG is awesome too. X-Curve frame?
                        Haha, I was looking at the exact same two packs.

I love the pack and the x-frame, it's incredible how well it held 50 lbs square on my back. Once I had camp set up and everything out of the pack, it collapsed down to almost nothing, to the point I could move quick going down the trail without knowing it was there. Now I just need to get an elk so I can test out the load shelf.

SG came out with a new, lighter frame this year too, kind of wish I would have waited a couple months.

You like the Kifaru?

Comment

I just received my new Stone Glacier Sky 5900, with Xcurve frame. I've trained with 40# for the last few weeks, and I'm pleased with it. The forward assist belt is great. I hope to get it dirty in NM the first two weeks of September.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                            The old ILBE archeryx designed packs for the money are hard to beat for entry level. Battlefield proven as it gets.

Comment

Well I'll jump off the deep end for the thread....
                              Here is my personal gear list with most brands or material of clothes I own and use. I'll use this list for my two backpack hunts in the Yukon and New Mexico this year and have gone up to 10 days with some variation of this.

I have adapted from years of backpack hunting. I started as a boy scout where we carried two kitchen sinks just so we had a backup. Best rule of thumb is buy quality so buy once/cry once. I have boxes full of gear I dont use that I had to eventually upgrade (typically cotton and heavy under armour). I also try to use a lot of solid colors for the versaility regular camping/hiking/skiing. I just ordered a seek outside DST tarp to add to it and while Ive been toying with a bivy I just doubt it'll be for me. Feel free to ask me any questions or PM me for a word document version

There are lots of good brands that support hunter's rights which I try to support as much as possible. One exception I make is I order all my boots and questionable gear from REI in order to take advantage of the one year return policy even with rugged use. If you're patient between black friday, classifieds, company mailing lists, camofire and steep and cheap, you can get a ton of gear 20-50% off.

Gear List

CLOTHING

 Socks (2) – Darntough
                               Underwear (1-2) – Merino wool - Stoic and First Lite
                               Base Top (2) – Kuiu/Boyt & Sitka Core Light Hoody
                               Pants: Attack
                               Midweight: Fleece
                               Raingear: Sitka/ Kuiu Yukon
                               Insulation: Kenai
                               Gloves (2): Guide & Merino
                               Ball cap
                               Beanie – Sitka
                               Neck Gaiter/Buff
                               Boots – Lowas
                               Waterproof stuff sack
                               Kneepads: Arcteryx Knee Caps

Optional-
                               3rd Shirt or Merino T
                               Guide Vest
                               3rd Socks
                               Gaiters
                               Camp Shoes
                               Down zip off pants
                               Down pullover
                               Down Mitts
                               Heavy/Waterproof Gloves
                               Zip Off Long Underwear Bottom - Kuiu

PACK GEAR

 Bino Pouch - Alaska Guide Creations

 Binoculars – Swaro 10x42
                               Rangefinder – Leupold (CR2 battery)
                               Delorme Inreach
                               Lens cloth
                               Small knife
                               Windchecker
                               Lighter
                               Firestarter
                               Petzl Elite
                               Flosssticks
                               Eyedrops
                               Aquaphor
                               Food bar
                               Flagging tape
                               Hunting & Fishing License in Ziploc
                               Bic Pin & Zip Ties

 Backpack: Stone Glacier Sky 7400
                               First aid: Leukotape, superglue, advil, cough, immodium, melatonin, tums, Benadryl, Zyrtec, antibiotic ointment, Israeli bandage, prep pad, gauze, bandaids
                               Repair/Tool Kit: Tenacious tape, Electrical Tape, Extra 2” waist buckle, Batteries – lithium AAA & CR2, 50 ft of paracord, zip ties
                               Kill kit: Flagging tape, Gloves, Havalon Knife w/6 extra blades, Game Bags (2-4), 1 trash bag/plastic sheet, Multitool

 Trekking poles
                               Pack Cover
                               Camelbak – 3L
                               Nalgene Bottle w/duct tape
                               Purification – tablets & pump/sawyer squeeze
                               Compass w/mirror
                               Headlamp – Black Diamond Storm
                               Facemask
                               Toilet Paper in Ziploc
                               Sunglasses
                               Glassing Pad – zlite cut
                               Phone
                               Charger & Mini cord
                               Waterproof stuff sacks
                               Optional -
                               Spotting scope – Vortex Razor 65
                               Digiscoping/phonescope
                               Tripod, bino mount, shooting yoke, quick heads
                               Camera – Battery, card, waterproof bag
                               Face paint
                               DST Tarp
                               Calls
                               Multitool

CAMP/FOOD

 Sleeping bag: EE Quilt (10D)
                               Waterproof stuff/compression sack
                               Sleeping Pad: Big Agnes
                               Tent: Big Agnes Fly Creek
                               Small pack towel
                               Stone glacier bag/food bag
                               Cup
                               Spoon
                               Jetboil
                               Fuel
                               Coffee
                               Drink Mix
                               Spice wheel/spices
                               Vitamins
                               Per day: 3 bars, 1 Oatmeal, 1 Dehydrated
                               Misc Food: Trailmix, Salami, Jerky, Soup, Tuna
                               Matches
                               Firestarter
                               Digital watch
                               Personal
                               Tooth Brush, Tooth Paste & Floss sticks
                               Wet wipes in Ziploc
                               Gold bond mini
                               Sunblock

SHOOTING

Gun
                               Carry Strap
                               Gun Bearer
                               20 Cartridges
                               Compact cleaning rod, oil patches
                               Light weight soft case (travel)
                              Bow
                               12 arrows
                               Tightspot Quiver
                               Judo/Stump/field points
                               Bow kit – serving, dloop, knocks, broadheads, spare release, string, extra site tape

OPTIONAL

 Fishing line & flies/lures
                               Kindle
                               Neoprene Socks
                               Ice Spikes
                               Insect Repellant
                               Solar panel/Battery Pack
                               Water bladder

TRAVEL/TRUCK

 Huntable clothes: Attack pants, FL Chama, Insulation, Socks, hiking boots
                               Waterproof duffel
                               Water, Gatorade & Food
                               Coolers/Ice
                               Hiking Shorts, Shoes, Hauling pack, Game Bags
                               Practice target
                               Spare Headlamp, Batteries (AAA, CR2, Charge Pack & AA), Sleeping Pad, Fuel, Stove, Water Purifier, Water Bladder/Bottle
                               Camp - rain fly, cook grill, folding table, chairs, base tent, Sandals, rope, trash bags, charcoal
                               Truck Kit – Chains, tow strap, comealong, cell phone extender, solar charger, jump kit, hilift, air compressor, tire plugs, shovel
                               First Aid Kit – Splints, knee brace, Israeli bandage

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                                The old ILBE archeryx designed packs for the money are hard to beat for entry level. Battlefield proven as it gets.
                                Those packs are tough as nails but they weigh a ton empty. I can't remember the style I am running but I have had it for about 7 years and it has held up well.

Comment

Working...
                                X