storing loaded clips\magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

storing loaded clips\magazines

i have one or two pistols that have a loaded clip in them at all times. but i have several black rifles that i do not have loaded magazines for (maybe one or two stay with a few in them) because i have always heard that it wears the springs out and then they do not feed. i have quite a few magazines the various calibers i have. i would like to have a few more loaded and handy should the need arise

what is the actual real world story on these?

load 28 shells in the 30 round clips and its ok??

I've got 5 fully loaded ar clips and have never had any feed issues because of weakened spring or any other reason.

Comment

A buddy of mine, showed me a study; I think it was done by Magpull that showed that it doesn't matter -when they fail they fail. If I can find it, I will post the link. I have several rifles and pistols that stay loaded 24/7-365 and ready to go whenever.

Comment

All mine are loaded to the Hilt !

Comment

They are not much good if they aren't loaded when the Need arises!

Comment

All mine are loaded except the black powder ones.

Comment

You can keep them fully loaded as long as you have an empty mag for each loaded mag. Rotate your mag out once a month and oil the spring for the one you unload and you will never have a problem. Did this in Iraq with spare mags I carried and even with all the sand storms and dirt, I never had a problem.

Comment

They'll be fine. A while back, I shot several AR15 mags that were originally loaded in 2006. No issues. I keep about 10 handgun mags loaded and 50 + AR15 mags loaded. Just keep them loaded and shoot them every so often. It's a non issue.

The 28 round thing isn't about spring life, it's about being able to insert a mag into a rifle while the bolt is closed. The original 30 round mag for the AR!5 was designed to fit 30 rounds (duh ) . When loaded with 30 rounds there is no room for the spring to further compress when the top round makes contact with the bolt, preventing the mag from being able to catch. This is why you often see people inserting a mag and slapping it on the bottom. Downloading to 28 makes inserting a new mag on a closed bolt much easier.

I usually buy Okay Surefeeds or Pmags and don't seem to have that issue with them. I do with my D&H mags though.
                Last edited by Clay C; 05-17-2022, 11:24 AM.

Comment

When mags fail, it's generally the feed lips, not the springs that are the problem.

Comment

It's my understanding that keeping them under tension isn't a problem, they actually get more worn out from loading/unloading than staying under tension. I keep almost all of mine loaded, easier to store ammo that way.

Comment

I keep all mine at 25 rds just because it is easier to load 100 rds evenly among 4 mags. Never any problems with them.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                        I keep all mine at 25 rds just because it is easier to load 100 rds evenly among 4 mags. Never any problems with them.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                        This is a perfect reason to buy 20 and 10 round mags too. I cannot stand having leftover rounds or a mag that isn't fully loaded.
                        Last edited by Clay C; 05-17-2022, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                          This is a perfect reason to buy 20 and 10 round mags too. I cannot stand having leftover rounds or a mag that isn't fully loaded.
                          ...or 30 round boxes of ammo which are pretty common in 5.56.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            ...or 30 round boxes of ammo which are pretty common in 5.56.
                            Yup, but I usually buy in cases of 1K rounds.

Comment

I don’t know how these internet rumors get started. Magazine springs don’t wear out from staying static, they wear out from being used.

And while we are at it, I don’t own a single gun that uses a clip; mine all use magazines.

Clips are for women’s hair and for a few old, antiquated rifles that use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X