6.5 Grendel Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel Build

I’m hoping to mix up my 223 and build a Grendel. Not sure if i want to pull apart the existing upper and make changes or build a complete upper from scratch.
    The three most important parts for accuracy are the Trigger, BCG, and Barrel obviously.

What are yalls recommendations for manufacturerss? I’m thinking of a 20” medium or heavy contour barrel.

My goal is to build a crossover hunting rig / target rifle. Maybe something I can start learning longer range target shooting.
    Likely won’t ever hunt beyond 200 yds (mostly because I can’t see that far where i hunt) but want capability to shoot much further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no ideas about barrels but I'd go a minimum of 22" for what your plans are. 24 would be better. I bought a complete upper from Alexander arms about 7 years ago and it's a shooter. Their prices are up about 50%from then. I had a Larue mbt 2 stage until my little grandsons started hunting with it so I changed to a Cmc single stage. Everything thing else in my safe grows cobwebs now.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      I have no ideas about barrels but I'd go a minimum of 22" for what your plans are. 24 would be better. I bought a complete upper from Alexander arms about 7 years ago and it's a shooter. Their prices are up about 50%from then. I had a Larue mbt 2 stage until my little grandsons started hunting with it so I changed to a Cmc single stage. Everything thing else in my safe grows cobwebs now.

My initial thoughts on barrel length was to go 24”. But for sake of mobility in the blind and the desire to run suppressed later on, i thought maybe a 20” would suffice . Does that extra 4” make that big of a difference? I never shot an AR longer than 16”

I’ll put Alexander on my list to research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use Satern barrels in all my builds. Mine is 22 inches and bug holes ! But a 18 in or 20 in shoot just as good.

Comment

Mine is a 22" and just for hunting. For long range I'd say longer is better. But it would be super long suppressed. Email Alexander and ask them what they think. They were very helpful when I bought mine. Maybe it's redneck reasoning but I figured Bill Alexander developed the grendel so he should know as much about it as anyone.

Comment

I have a 6.5 grendel pistol I built last year, has a 10.5'' barrel, Anderson lower and a BCA upper, shot 2 wt does at 80yds with it with no issue's.

God Bless
            Bish

Comment

Also built a bolt 6.5 that I love and it will reach out there.

God Bless
              Bish
              Attached Files

Comment

I have a 20" Kreiger heavy barrel on mine and it will shoot 600 yards under 1MOA, and that is with me pulling the trigger. Someone who know what they are doing would be much better. I also have a Magpul PRS stock and together it is HEAVY. I wouldn't want to carry very far through brush.
                I would build another upper. That way you really have 2 guns to choose from. I like AeroPercision and 17 Design for manufactures.

Comment

Im having a 6.5 Grendel pistol in 12.5" that will be suppressed put together by Sgt of Arms right now. Using their upper and lower. Installing a Hiperfire Eclipse trigger, Tbox barrel and JP silent capture buffer spring. Not worried about speed as this will be a 300yd max pig gun. If you're looking at a crossover rig I'd look at the 16-18" length especially if you're suppressing it. It seems to be the magic length for hunting.

Comment

I have to second Satern barrels. I say just build new upper.

Comment

I had a 18" satern on my grendel build and it shot very well.

Comment

Thanks guys,
                        Is that Saturn Barrel the one Grendel Hunter uses in their builds?

Comment

Another vote for Satern barrels. Have a 24 inch heavy barrel on my Grendel and it produces incredible groups. Too heavy for hunting though.

I'm also a fan of CMC single stage triggers.

Comment

18"-20" barrel is good length for Grendel.

Comment

I have an 18" Odin barrel and it shoots lights out. Have shot hogs and javi's out to 300 with Hornady Black Eldm.
                              I also have a CMC trigger that i really like!!

Comment

Working...
                              X