Mini Split advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
    While I’m all about mini splits, I do think it’s overkill for your 300sqft area. I feel a window unit(5000btu) would better fit the job at hand.

I will say that I watched Chigo brand mini splits work for YEARS in hot arse Afghanistan with minimal to zero maintenance. I then acquired one of those units, brought it home and installed it in my 12x16 shed where it continued without issue for 3 years before I sold the house. Not sure where they stack up these days on price, but they were cheaper than most when I installed it. If I were doing it tomorrow, I’d be getting something like a Chigo or the Mr Cool DIY kit that wouldn’t require me to have a vacuum pulled on the lines.
    I have three Mr. Cools. If you only need them for a year go ahead and spend your money. If you want something that lasts a little longer go with a better brand.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
      Can you please tell me the make and model of the one you installed? Thanks

I just had my roof replaced on my garage which is foamed. Also had them pull the whirlybird off. It's freaking hot in there now. I think my only option is a Mini Split.
      I bought a Mr Cool. All here are saying it is junk. We will see...

Comment

I installed a Mr cool over a year ago at the ranch house. It’s been great. Fixing to buy another one for the other end of the house.

Comment

Would a 2 Tom be to much for a 300sq ft with 11’ ceilings?

Comment

I originally intended to put a mini split in the 300sqft living quarters in my shop, but ultimately ended up with a window unit for a/c and a small electric heater for winter. No issues.

Comment

Looks like our space is too limited for the outside unit, well to hide it.

Did anyone see the thread last week or so about settings some kind of AC in a camper while in storage? I can't find it. If so, can you post the link or do you know what kind of unit they had. They were only trying to keep the temp at 85.

Comment

Considering a Mini Split in my detached garage. Do you think I can put the condenser in the attic of the garage?

Comment

I’m finalizing my plans for my shed in the back yard. 10x12. The over the sill window units caught my eye, but part of me still wants a mini split. $400 for a nice over the sill window unit with no heat(and not as efficient) vs $700-$800 for a mini split.

Decisions decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                    1 zone. Put an exhaust fan in that bathroom to remove moisture and it will be fine.

I would recommend an actual HVAC company that sells quality equipment like Daikin or Mitsubishi and stands behind their work. Don't be lured by the guy named Hector on FB marketplace that installs AUX, Mr. Cool, Pioneer, etc. brand for $900. They are absolute junk and parts for them are impossible to find.
                    ^ This Based on my experience is spot on.

Comment

I’ve decided to go with a window unit. I can always install a mini later, if the w/u doesn’t satisfy and it’s cheaper……

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                        I’ve decided to go with a window unit. I can always install a mini later, if the w/u doesn’t satisfy and it’s cheaper……
                        Which window unit? Anything specific? I’m eyeballing this one:

Shop GE ClearView 250-sq ft Window Air Conditioner with Remote (115-Volt; 6100-BTU) Wi-Fi enabled at Lowe's.com. GE Appliances is dedicated to providing the right solutions for rooms of any size. Window air conditioners are designed to offer exceptional comfort while

Figure when I wire up the shed I will put an exterior plug on one of the 20amp circuits and a plug or two in the general area I would be putting the mini split. Allows me to add it later if I don’t go with it right off the start.

Comment

We have a small garage apartment in the city we lease that is slightly over 400 sq feet. They have a 220v window unit to heat and cool it. It will get very cool and warm as needed. When I arrive on a hot day like today it does take a couple of hous to cool down.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
                            Which window unit? Anything specific? I’m eyeballing this one:

Shop GE ClearView 250-sq ft Window Air Conditioner with Remote (115-Volt; 6100-BTU) Wi-Fi enabled at Lowe's.com. GE Appliances is dedicated to providing the right solutions for rooms of any size. Window air conditioners are designed to offer exceptional comfort while

Figure when I wire up the shed I will put an exterior plug on one of the 20amp circuits and a plug or two in the general area I would be putting the mini split. Allows me to add it later if I don’t go with it right off the start.
                            Haven’t decided yet, but Midea seems to have good reviews and supposed to be very quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                              Haven’t decided yet, but Midea seems to have good reviews and supposed to be very quiet.
                              I read quite a few reviews saying they make a solid unit. They have their version of an over the sill type too.

Comment

I've got our local AC company coming to give me an estimate on putting a mini split in my shop (single car garage)...i'm getting too old and it's too dang hot to work in there!! I know nothing about them other than it's supposed to be the best option for cooling a garage. Wish they'd hurry up so I can maybe use it this year!haha

Comment

Working...
                                X