Flatheads in the river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flatheads in the river

We have done quite a big of jug lining and trot lining in the lakes of texas, but have never run a River..

Can y’all tell me where/what/how I’m looking for running lines in the river?

Deep bends? Right after shallow runs? Let the baits go deep or keep them up high? Keep baits in the current or out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No help but I want to do this as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

For Yellows I would used live perch on drop lines from tree limbs. Use swivel somewhere on the line. Does not need to be in deep water but next to it. Disclaimer, I have not done this in years.

Comment

All depends on what time of year, water flow, bait available in river, etc.

What river you thinking of fishing?

Comment

Live bait. Perch and mudcat are good. Drop lines close to bank when river is on the rise where possible. Below dams when water is being released. flatheads don't bite when river is falling. Flatheads feed along the edges and up against cut banks near deep holes when river is muddy and rising.

Comment

Above posts has you covered. Any LIVE bait will work.

Comment

we would either run a trotline across the river, if it was narrow enough, in a hole just below a swifter/shallower area or along the bank where the banks were rather steep. Always sunk the main line to the bottom but the bait lines would float up slightly off the bottom.

Comment

Old crank telephones or beepers.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  All depends on what time of year, water flow, bait available in river, etc.

What river you thinking of fishing?

Fishing the Guadalupe between Gonzales and Victoria.

I have caught about 2 dozen perch from our stock tank, and put them in the water trough. I can catch as many mud cats as you can shake a stick at! So we are set on bait.

When y’all say a steep bank, that’s like a bank where the river turns? Or am I just looking for some
                  Structure where bait would stack up and be ambushed?

Do they like to get of the current or will they sit In The current and let bait come to them?

In lakes we typically fish points and big rocky drops, some times where the rocky drops come onto a flat will do really well for us. But the whole idea of moving water has me thinking it’s going to be a lot different

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    Old crank telephones or beepers.
                    You must be from Oklahoma
                    You ain't a Cajun cause they just use dynamite.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                      For Yellows I would used live perch on drop lines from tree limbs. Use swivel somewhere on the line. Does not need to be in deep water but next to it. Disclaimer, I have not done this in years.
                      What he said^^^

Growing up we would do this all the time on the Guadalupe up near Ingram.

If it moves, yellow cats will eat it, big live perch are their favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                        Fishing the Guadalupe between Gonzales and Victoria.

I have caught about 2 dozen perch from our stock tank, and put them in the water trough. I can catch as many mud cats as you can shake a stick at! So we are set on bait.

When y’all say a steep bank, that’s like a bank where the river turns? Or am I just looking for some
                        Structure where bait would stack up and be ambushed?

Do they like to get of the current or will they sit In The current and let bait come to them?

In lakes we typically fish points and big rocky drops, some times where the rocky drops come onto a flat will do really well for us. But the whole idea of moving water has me thinking it’s going to be a lot different

In lakes or still water flatheads tend to run trails when they feed. Usually about once a week. If you have a line set on that trail you will catch on the same day each week. Finding that trail is the trick or luck of the draw. In running water like rivers they tend to run the banks at feeding time. Rising water or new water triggers the bite. When rivers are flat the bite is slow and they again feed only about once a week. Best time of year is late spring when getting lots of rain and runoff. Find a confluence where a creek large or small enters the river and set lines along the banks. Flatheads are spawning right now so if you are into noodling now is the time. Check edges of boat ramps for holes tunneled up under the concrete especially at the lower corners. You can wade out and feel the holes with your foot. Duck down and reach in there. Hold on! Bigger the hole bigger the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                          In lakes or still water flatheads tend to run trails when they feed. Usually about once a week. If you have a line set on that trail you will catch on the same day each week. Finding that trail is the trick or luck of the draw. In running water like rivers they tend to run the banks at feeding time. Rising water or new water triggers the bite. When rivers are flat the bite is slow and they again feed only about once a week. Best time of year is late spring when getting lots of rain and runoff. Find a confluence where a creek large or small enters the river and set lines along the banks. Flatheads are spawning right now so if you are into noodling now is the time. Check edges of boat ramps for holes tunneled up under the concrete especially at the lower corners. You can wade out and feel the holes with your foot. Duck down and reach in there. Hold on! Bigger the hole bigger the fish.
                          This should about cover you perfectly! And now is the time…..Okie Noodling Festival is this weekend! What comes out of the woodwork during that deal will just about beat any East TX WalMart for people watching

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                            What he said^^^

Growing up we would do this all the time on the Guadalupe up near Ingram.

If it moves, yellow cats will eat it, big live perch are their favorite.
                            A couple summers ago I absolutely slayed channel cats on the Guad near Hunt on limb lines with minced garlic soaked chicken liver.

Comment

In the river best If the river is running. If it’s running any bank will work. Forget the trot lines go with drop lines. If you can find cuts off the river with log jams you can find them there too.
                              Live perch is the way to go. Bigger the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X