Vacuum sealing fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
    I tried it and still prefer freezing my fish totally submerged in a lot of water.

Same here.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Water filled bags take up a lot of room in a freezer. You would need a ton of gallon bags for half shell redfish. Vacuum sealed fish can be thawed fast for a quick meal.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
        Water filled bags take up a lot of room in a freezer. You would need a ton of gallon bags for half shell redfish. Vacuum sealed fish can be thawed fast for a quick meal.
        This is why I went to vacuum. They stack nice and take up a lot less space. My catfish.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
          Have always frozen fish in ziplocks. Cover the fish completely with water and then top with some milk. Always tastes fresh when thawed

What does the addition of milk do for the fish?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
            I freeze them a little bit because otherwise you will end up sucking water and not get a good seal.
            I think thats thats main reason...and they wont stick together,,,

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              It helps with the calcium for their bones

JK in for the response as well

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                It helps with the calcium for their bones

JK in for the response as well

Hah!

I thought you were being serious at first. I was about to explain the role of the Krebs Cycle in molecular biology and argue that if the respiratory process of mitochondrial DNA is arrested, it would be impossible for the bones.

Fortunately, you saved me from coming across as too pedantic by adding your disclaimer at the end. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                  Vacuum seal you want them as dry as possible so the sealer won’t suck water
                  If you freeze them in regular freezer bags put water in the bag after the fish and squeeze the air out before sealing it.

The reason it says to lightly freeze first is to firm them up for a better seal.

Also definitely pat dry to remove as much moisture as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Vacuum sealing fish?

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

Old wives tales before the invention of vacuum sealers. Just like freezing them in water.

The fish doesn’t need any moisture on it in a vacuum sealed bag. They also thaw much faster when sealed as dry as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                      This^ we eat and freeze alot of fish...stays good for along time. We have a vacuum sealer and only use it on wild game, and occasionally left over stew and gumbo to take later to the lease. Never on fish.
                      Agree! We freeze our fish the same way. Will keep indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
                        This is why I went to vacuum. They stack nice and take up a lot less space. My catfish.
                        Do you freeze them before hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          Do you freeze them before hand?
                          No sir, as said pat dry. Single layer. They defrost in minutes compared to days in water. But the storage is my main reason.

Comment

Pat dry and freeze for a few hours before sealing. Then single or double later doesn’t matter.

Comment

Pat dry and vacuum seal. I freeze hundreds of pounds of fish a year, and vacuum sealing is the only way to go. It takes hours to unthaw fish frozen in water. I used to do it that way, but a vacuum sealer is just better. Fish that is 2-3 years old is still good. I’m sure freezing it for a bit first would help but as long as you pat it dry it’s no big deal.

Comment

We seran wrap the fish then vacuum seal. Sounds like an extra step but it’s really easy and always a good seal. Fresh 1yr like day 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X