Vacuum sealing fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum sealing fish?

I have a striper trip coming up and bought a vacuum sealer to freeze the filets. Any tips on bagging them? Single layer, double layer, just dump em in there.....etc.. The only thing the manual says is to put them in the freezer for a couple of hours before sealing them. What do y'all do?

I stack single or double & pat dry with paper towels. Works great for me. Never thought of freezer for a bit. Mine has worked good just patting dry.

Comment

You shouldn’t need to freeze them, like was said above, just dry with a paper towel before sealing. As long as you don’t try to seal them while they’re super wet you’ll be fine

Comment

Vacuum seal you want them as dry as possible so the sealer won’t suck water
        If you freeze them in regular freezer bags put water in the bag after the fish and squeeze the air out before sealing it.

Comment

Vacuum sealing fish?

I pat dry, lay in a single layer, vacuum seal, and then freeze. Fish stays super fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just bag em up, add some water then vacuum seal

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried it and still prefer freezing my fish totally submerged in a lot of water.

Comment

Same as above. Single layer as dry as possible. Just ate yellowfin last night that I sealed in 2020. It was just like the day I sealed it. I always write the date on my bags with a sharpie as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                  I tried it and still prefer freezing my fish totally submerged in a lot of water.
                  This^ we eat and freeze alot of fish...stays good for along time. We have a vacuum sealer and only use it on wild game, and occasionally left over stew and gumbo to take later to the lease. Never on fish.

Comment

Have always frozen fish in ziplocks. Cover the fish completely with water and then top with some milk. Always tastes fresh when thawed

Comment

Always froze fish in water until I got a chamber type vacuum sealer. Works perfect for fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                        Always froze fish in water until I got a chamber type vacuum sealer. Works perfect for fish.
                        With a chamber sealer, doesn't matter how wet fish are. With the other type, like I have, it will suck water out with the air.

Comment

I freeze them a little bit because otherwise you will end up sucking water and not get a good seal.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                            Works great for me too.

Comment

Freezing fish in water will help keep from getting freezer burn.
                              Flash freezing will allow you to keep some excess water around the meat and allow a good seal on the bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X