Volunteer fire dept and burn pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonRon View Post
    True story............my business partner bought some property in NW Houston that had an old house on it.

He didn't want to pay to have it torn down and hauled off, so he called the local volunteer fire station and asked if they were interested in using it for training purposes.

It just so happened that they had a young lady, fireman working there that Playboy Magazine was interested in doing an article on.

The fire dept. and Playboy came out,.........they did a control burn of the house and did a photo shoot of the girl doing her fireman thing.

It made the magazine and didn't cost my partner a dime. He actually was able to write off the value of the house on his taxes, as a donation to the fire dept.........CRAZY
    Great story. I know one similar…Sandra Brown(very famous author) bought two lots in north Arlington. She didnt like one of the homes on one of the lots. Well, Walker Texas Ranger was looking for a home to blow up for an episode of their show. Soooo, they blew it up.

Comment

So I can’t speak for the fire department that covers your area cause I’m not sure of the department… BUT, some department members may be trying to get there wildland cert “130/190” they would know what you’re talking about. That said, if they obtain that they will need some prescribed burns for there log book for advancement purposes. SO, they could possibly send members there off duty and not on “call” to get there log book completed. They could create fire lines, back burn, even have certs for using a chainsaw. They have all kind of things. Long answer but could be helpful. You could provide lunch for them.

Also if that doesn’t work. Something that could help is go get a couple of dry chem or ABC extinguishers to help or put a electric pump sprayer in a side by side to help if it gets out of hand. Good luck with your burn sir

Comment

JFYI. If you decide to burn the piles, always light the fire on the side where the wind is not blowing. The fire will burn slow....

Comment

Wet, drizzly day and light her up.
          Start on the downwind side so that the fire burns slower.

I prefer to burn them in the winter when it is wet and COLD. Brush pile puts off a lot of heat

FYI if there is large material in the pile it may burn for days. I had big pile of pine tops that burned for a week but there was nothing but ash left when it was done either

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
            JFYI. If you decide to burn the piles, always light the fire on the side where the wind is not blowing. The fire will burn slow....
            Good push.

Seriously though, which issue?

Comment

Thanks for all the insight. If it was not so dang close to a fully wooded tree line I’d light that thing up in a heartbeat.

Comment

Any chance of getting a bulldozer and moving it away from the tree line enough to burn it yourself?

Comment

Working...
                X