Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many illegal (AR) bucks get shot every year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly how can gw's keep track of hunters abusing this regulation it happens everyday , no it's not an accident if your not sure dont shoot takes a a finger to release or pull a trigger!!!

Comment

If I know someone is doing it intentionally I turn their butts in , just like people keeping oversize reds at the Jetty's ohh I didn't know yes you did just got caught!!

Comment

I had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago, had what I thought was a 3 point and spike under me for an hour before I actually realized they were both 4 points, and both were 20-30 yards away! Always double and triple check, I already had my meat deer so I just watched them, and was wondering why these spikes were still alive as they usually get shot quick now with the AR, well got my answer, they were really forkers! Talking to a game warden in our family it's been a real cash cow for tickets since east texas went to the AR.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
          Would the brow tine have to be one inch or 'scorable' to count as a forked antler?
          Black and white...... unbranched

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            If folks would stop wanting to shoot 1 1/2 year old bucks then it wouldn't have nearly as often.
            That’s the very reason Texas used 13” instead of 3.5 years old. Every deer would’ve been subject to opinion and would’ve been a 3.5 year old spike. Some people just can’t follow rules. Unbranched means unbranched and 13” means 13”. Game wardens have tape measures and will use them

Comment

I've been on a couple ride alongs with my buddy that's a gw it's funny listening to all the different excuses!!

Comment

If folks would stop wanting to shoot 1 1/2 year old bucks then it wouldn't have nearly as often.
                This is true, but if you hunt in a 4 deer county where you can only take 2 doe and 2 bucks in which only one of them can have a inside spread of 13 in. And you need/want all the deer meat you can get, the state is encouraging you too take a young buck.

Comment

What it comes down to if your not sure do not shoot that easy!!

Comment

So the outside the ears rule rather puzzling to me as every deer will always have the same spread on his ears 100% of the time ?? This is not about shooting young vs old here .

Not looking for opinions on that . TX made it legal when they said 13 in spread so legal is legal .

But can it happen ?? I have never shot a young deer so no idea . just wondering if you can have a non legal 13 inch rack that is in fact outside of his ears .

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                      Black and white...... unbranched
                      Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                      That’s the very reason Texas used 13” instead of 3.5 years old. Every deer would’ve been subject to opinion and would’ve been a 3.5 year old spike. Some people just can’t follow rules. Unbranched means unbranched and 13” means 13”. Game wardens have tape measures and will use them
                      That is the way I read it as well...unbranched means nada except for the main beam. I'm not sure if that ids the technical definition, but I ain't gonna take any chances to find out

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                        So the outside the ears rule rather puzzling to me as every deer will always have the same spread on his ears 100% of the time ?? This is not about shooting young vs old here .

Not looking for opinions on that . TX made it legal when they said 13 in spread so legal is legal .

But can it happen ?? I have never shot a young deer so no idea . just wondering if you can have a non legal 13 inch rack that is in fact outside of his ears .
                        I've always used the "If you hesitate at all when you see it, don't shoot it."

Comment

Serious question... Is something wrong with shooting a yearling buck? A dead deer is a dead deer to me. If you're happy with a yearling to put your tag on then shoot a yearling. I honestly don't care. Everybody has different goals. If I'm trying to fill my freezer then I'm shooting the first legal deer I see and I don't believe anything is wrong with that. My wife doesn't eat deer so I don't freezer fill but I sure don't care if someone else does.

Comment

Not to change the subject but I wonder if there will be a point where they consider the AR restrictions a success and a job well done....and remove the rule?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Not to change the subject but I wonder if there will be a point where they consider the AR restrictions a success and a job well done....and remove the rule?
                              Wouldn’t that be counterproductive?

Comment

All I say is right ...BUT the same people that can't Judge HORNS can't Judge AGE....When excitement starts ..Bodies and Horns GROW..

I once along with several other Hunters Tracked this deer the shooter claimed to be a Monster 12 point..20"+...we found it several hours later...Hunter said thats not it for sure,(6pt maybe 13")...I turned it over and there was remains of his arrow ( matched what was in Quiver)...He said I would have bet my life savings...On it.....being a monster....BUCK Fever strikes again....

and this was not a New Hunter been on lease for years prob 40y 0ld

Comment

Working...
                                X