No announcement yet.

How Does Iowa Compare to Kansas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m in Zone 4 with loads of great targets. Farther south into Drury territory they have some monsters. Public land can be good but many Polk County people inhabit them like crazy.

Comment

Beautiful country up there!

Iowa is better at college football however Kansas is a hoops powerhouse! LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
        I have hunted western Kansas several times and south eastern Iowa a couple times, the biggest difference I can tell you is I saw many more deer in Iowa than I did in Kansas. The quality of the deer we’re about the same at either place.
        This is something I was curious about. How the overall deer numbers compared. I hear stories of guys rattling in double digit amount of buck in a day in Iowa.

Comment

[QUOTE=Arrowsmith;13801588]Halloween thru November 10 is prime for heavy chasing in Iowa. Different degrees of "lock down" occur during the latter part of this time period. November 18 thru 30 can be awesome. The big boys will be trolling for unbred does. My wife saw two big bucks yesterday, mid morning while driving from our farm to Centerville.

This man does not lie. Above statement is right on.

Comment

I would say it's the best in the Midwest. Depending on where you hunt, I hunted Zone 5 and was calling in 10-12 bucks a day between 130"-150"s . The deer density was crazy high and lots of bucks. I've hunted one of the best ranches I think in KS and we have killed some hammers but the action in Iowa was the best I've seen out of Illinois, KS, OK,etc. The only negative is it takes TOOOOO Long to draw an archery tag.
            I know they had a big die off several years back and will probably visit this coming year or the following.
            Good Luck and enjoy

Comment

I hunt southeast Minnesota each veterans week. Next county south is Iowa, next county east is Wisconsin. Over the counter tags, no pressure. Can be brutally cold. Last weeks highs were mid teens. I put in for Iowa points and when I have enough I’ll give it a shot. Mixing things up is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't overlook North central Oklahoma or North west Missouri!

Comment

Originally posted by whackem and stackem View Post
                  I would say it's the best in the Midwest. Depending on where you hunt, I hunted Zone 5 and was calling in 10-12 bucks a day between 130"-150"s . The deer density was crazy high and lots of bucks. I've hunted one of the best ranches I think in KS and we have killed some hammers but the action in Iowa was the best I've seen out of Illinois, KS, OK,etc. The only negative is it takes TOOOOO Long to draw an archery tag.
                  I know they had a big die off several years back and will probably visit this coming year or the following.
                  Good Luck and enjoy
                  That is insane! Private ground?

Comment

Similar deer quality...Kansas is closer and easier to achieve access IMO

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                      Similar deer quality...Kansas is closer and easier to achieve access IMO
                      The part of Kansas I hunt is not much closer than Southern Iowa.

Comment

Working...
                      X