No announcement yet.

SW of Dallas to NE of Laredo.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much at the Hilltop either. Quite a few bucks. Still looking for Lucky and DK10. there should be several wide bucks showing in here. I had hoped to get them on protein, but they must be bacheloring somewhere else. Lucky and DK should be 140+ this year. I just have to be patient and hope they avoid the poachers.

Here's my pigs again. Before the Boss Buck, they would be in there every night and stay and stay. These are the only pics I got this month and they weren't at the spouts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	500 (244).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	23835840

Looks like the gobblers may still be fantasizing.

Name:	500 (250).JPG
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	23835841

Don't know what this little bucks problem is. He's a Lumber Buck. right now a 1x4. Possible injury. If and when he comes in I'll see if he has an injury and decide if I'm going to let him eat my protein one more year.

Name:	500 (293).JPG
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	23835842

Here's some little buck pics.

Name:	500 (335).JPG
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	23835843

Name:	500 (336).JPG
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	23835844

Name:	500 (337).JPG
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	23835845

Name:	500 (338).JPG
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	23835846

Name:	500 (347).JPG
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	23835847

OK, on to my protein feeder at my tripod. I know there's a couple wider bucks there. Then I can go to Leaky.

Comment

A lot of bucks at my protein, but they emptied it by June 30. I filled it on the 10th. 20 days. 20 sacks. Maybe I should go to Lissey/Eckle so they won't eat as much. Dang. The growth is only through the 30th, so they still have almost two months of growth to go. Hopefully next time down I'll see some good stuff.

I moved my camera to a fence post 180 degrees from this camera. Should be able to pull back a little and get some body conformation and maybe get some pics of the bucks that consistently eat on the other side.

This is why it's empty. This feeder has very heavy use. I think I could use 2 Boss Bucks here, but I'd have to work 3 days a week.

Name:	#5.jpg
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	23835867

Here's another deer that Mailman was to shoot on sight. He's at least 4 1/2 this year. I guess I'll have to kill him. He's got great brows, but really short G3's and narrow.....and he is eating my protein and getting not much better.

Name:	#6.jpg
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	23835868

Some of the deer have a lot more growth to go. Can't wait to see them next time down.

Name:	DSCF3823.JPG
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	23835869

Name:	#4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	23835873

This buck could turn out to be really high.

Name:	cleaning rack.jpg
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	23835870

This deer is really wide, but that's all he's got. Looks pretty old. I hope this isn't the 10 with kicker that showed promise last year. If so, he really lost brow length and that's not normally the case. He'll probably be put on the Hit List for the people that might mount him. I'll see what he looks like when he finishes growing, but doesn't look good for him right now.

Name:	#5.jpg
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	23835874

This buck is here a lot and always at his spout. It's amazing how most of the dominant or older deer will only eat at one spout.

Name:	#2.jpg
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	23835871

This one could be nice in a few more years. I've got a TON of babies eating here. If they're going to eat this high dollar stuff, they better show something or I'll sic Mailman and my nephews on them.

Name:	#3.jpg
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	23835872

Comment

A few more from that feeder and I'm off to Leaky.

Name:	#6.jpg
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	23835875

Name:	DSC01861.JPG
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	23835876

Name:	1 EvilMedley.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	23835877

Name:	2 Medleyfavre.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	23835878

Name:	3 Buck Rushmore.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	23835879

My little brother is heading that way pretty quickly. If he can change my cards, I should get some updated, and more interesting pics.

Comment

Dang, that's a lotta pics. Looking very nice.

Comment

I had planned on booking an axis hunt somewhere this last week between my trip to the Junco and San Angelo. well, the rain caused me to change my destination order and I went to San Angelo first. Clint was going to be on his lease during the week and graciously invited me to stop over and hunt his ranch. Those are some good people, not just because of the invite, but because they are great to spend time with. They put up with my constant yakking with no complaints and let me hunt their animals.

We filled Clint's and AP's and Stolle's feeders between rain showers and I hunted axis in the morning and evening. I saw 6 different bucks at 12 yards or so, but they were winter bucks and had about 8 inches of growth. A doe and half grown yearling also came in. Other than that, it was lots of whitetails and no bears....oh, and one mini Oreo. Mary HAS to let me in the Oreo club now. I don't think there's a size restriction.

Clint sent me these three pics.

Name:	6 Muhamad Medley.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	23835882

Name:	7 Marco Medley.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	23835883

Story to follow with more pics of my Oreo kill. I LOVE hunting spotted hogs. Not as much as spotted deer, but close.

Comment

WOW! I thought it was lush and tall when I was there a few weeks ago. We're going to try to make it up next weekend to fill those "small" protein feeders of mine. Maybe by next year I'll have a couple of Bossbucks and you can fill mine up when you fill Mailman's....

I bought 2 of those Stealthcam STC-Ad3's you told me about from Walmart. I'm going to try to "hide" one at River Oaks so maybe it won't get stolen....

Comment

Yeah, it only took me three trips to haul what I put out. I've thought about getting it delivered to the Rock House area and working from there. Probably cheaper than all that driving, especially if I'm going to try and fill feeders other than mine and Mailman's.

Comment

John,
                  It was great spending the week with you in camp at the Lewis Ranch. Glad we had Gunner there to keep us entertained with stories. I never knew his Uncle Joey was such a bad shot. LOL

Can't wait until we get to do it all over again.

Comment

While at Leaky, I was entertained by Clint's young son, Gunner. A 4 year old that uses multiple syllable words like that just is way too smart. That boy is something else. If he grows into his feet, Clint's going to have to kill a lot of game to keep the freezer full. Never at a loss for a story, he rivals me. Well, he beats me, and that's hard to do. This boy has killed game that only I can dream of. His greatest conquest this past week was the snakealope that ate his axis whole. Enjoyed the week, Gunner. Can't wait to do it again.

Jaspro was there on a spotted mission also. The weather kinda kept us close to camp, but on this place, that's not all bad. Jason had a doe come eat alfalfa off of his 4 wheeler rack. Heard one axis roar not too far from camp behind the trailers. We were in a game rich environment.

I planned very poorly and ran out of Pepsi. Sika came over from the ranch where she works and saved the day with a 2 liter bottle. She is now my BFF, or whatever the text message thing for best friend forever. Gunner likes blondes also, because he definately would not let her out of his sight. LOL

Steaks, fajita, bacon, eggs, chips ahoys, Pepsi and friends made it a great time.

Oh, and did I tell you about my Mini Oreo? Well, I'm about to.

When I went out the third morning, it looked like hogs had finally found my corn. Dang! KAP! I had no sooner put out my chum and gotten settled when I heard "corn chomping" in my bait. It was pretty early, but with the binos, I could tell it was an oreo. A little oreo, but an oreo none the less. I got my video set up and waited. But, I was going to kill this hog as soon as it was light enough to see, whether I got it on video or not. Finally, at 6:45:52 I sent a first cut mech behind the shoulder. He was square in the shoulder, but a little turned with his main body slightly quartered. I was too worried as I knew the arrow should just blow through him. It did. I found the arrow about 16 feet behind him. he went 63 steps.

This was from my video just moments before he went to pig heaven. He turned and went back to the chum. His last mistake.

Name:	DSC04074.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	23835914

Where he fell.

Name:	truck1.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	23835913

That's the entrance wound.

Name:	2333.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	23835899

Couple LDP's. I forgot to get a tailgate pic. That's not like me.

We put out one of my CV Safari Blinds. Really brushed it in. LOL. Had deer, axis and porcupines, along with my MiniOreo at less than 16 yards.

Comment

Here's some more pics from the blind.

Name:	jump.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	23835915

We all left Thursday around noon and I headed towards Laredo. Thanks, Clint and Gunner, for the invite. Sika, it was great visiting with you. Jason, don't forget the Chips Ahoy next time. That's the official Lee Brother cookie.

Comment

Great recap Doc!

Comment

John and Jason, we had a great time too. Sure do wish we would of seen some more axis, maybe next time. On the way home Gunner kept asking where his friends were. I think he kinda had a good time.

Comment

I bet the trip home with that boy got interesting. I enjoyed the time with all of you. I think the bear ate all the axis. LOL We'll get one sooner or later. Hope the Oreo tastes good. Make sure Jason makes it next time also. He brings some GOOD steaks.

Comment

I would quit a new job to make the next one.

Name:	love.jpg
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	23835957

Name:	Passenger Front Mirrors Up.JPG
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	23835958

Comment

I really like your ground blind. What exactly is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X