No announcement yet.

anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are in Schleicher County pretty much between Fort McKavett and Eldorado. We have now lost 4 does in the last month that have all been within 100 yards of one of our water troughs. I watched two of them die in basically the same way. They came to water and looked ok and within 30 minutes or so they were dead. This last one I startled her and as she ran her front legs gave a couple of times. I found her bedded up in some trees and thought she was done. She managed to get up and go about 75 yards before she fell over... basically collapsed. She was dead not long after that.

I searched our other two water trough areas and didn't find any dead deer. I am still seeing a lot deer throughout the pasture. I guess I will see what TAHC says when they get back to me.

Its rough country where we are at during dry times and have lost a lot of deer before during droughts. I have just never seen deer die so quick or so many in a concentrated area in a short time frame.

Comment

One of our few survivors.

Comment

Glad there are a few or even just one around, BowSlayer. Your posts and others have been tough to read and I do truly feel for all of y'all that are affected. From what I've gathered, I hunt about 10 miles from the '19 affected areas.

Comment

Heading out to my lease tomorrow. 8 miles north of bracketville on 674, Shahan ranch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
            Heading out to my lease tomorrow. 8 miles north of bracketville on 674, Shahan ranch

Keep us posted what you find

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
              We are in Schleicher County pretty much between Fort McKavett and Eldorado. We have now lost 4 does in the last month that have all been within 100 yards of one of our water troughs. I watched two of them die in basically the same way. They came to water and looked ok and within 30 minutes or so they were dead. This last one I startled her and as she ran her front legs gave a couple of times. I found her bedded up in some trees and thought she was done. She managed to get up and go about 75 yards before she fell over... basically collapsed. She was dead not long after that.

I searched our other two water trough areas and didn't find any dead deer. I am still seeing a lot deer throughout the pasture. I guess I will see what TAHC says when they get back to me.

Its rough country where we are at during dry times and have lost a lot of deer before during droughts. I have just never seen deer die so quick or so many in a concentrated area in a short time frame.
              That's strange. I think you are outside the traditional "anthrax triangle." I wonder if it may be something else? Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                That's strange. I think you are outside the traditional "anthrax triangle." I wonder if it may be something else? Keep us posted.
                I spoked to someone at the TAHC. He mentioned that as well, but he said that everything I described had the sound of Anthrax. I would have to get a blood sample if I witness it again and sent to A&M to know for sure.
                Last edited by Miller; 08-30-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                  I was told by the LO of our place that it reached all the way North to Eldorado. he said it usually stays South of I-10. It's a horrible deal. A friend of mine leases the neighboring pasture to us and his LO owns several thousand acres across the road from us. He is not allowing hunting for the next 2 years on his place but hasn't offered any refunds yet. Not sure what's going to happen there.

Comment

anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

We’ll out of three of my sets I have one doe coming in over the last month. I guess it finally got us. I guess my feed money will turn into beer money. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BrianG View Post
                      We’ll out of three of my sets I have one doe coming in over the last month. I guess it finally got us. I guess my feed money will turn into beer money. [emoji23]

That bites.
                      I wonder how one doe managed to slip through the tracks?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                        That bites.
                        I wonder how one doe managed to slip through the tracks?

The crazy part is we can’t find any dead deer. Our landowner flew the property about three weeks ago and said the numbers looked normal.

We’re flying the property with in the next two weeks, so we’ll see. I’ve hunted out here for almost 30 years and never have experienced this. That’s why I’m thinking it got us. We shall see!

Comment

Best of luck BrianG and to everyone else as well. Heading down in the morning to scope our place out. I will be there for a few days so I am going to try and get some surveys in for us. Bowslayer, keep the cafe going, it may be our hang out for this season.

Comment

Strange stuff. Similar to what James posted...I’m hearing some areas are hit very hard and others appear to not be affected on the same ranch. That has me encouraged that there is a great chance the deer will bounce back. No telling what kind of damage had been done though. We are here at deer camp now. We shall see what we find in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
                              Best of luck BrianG and to everyone else as well. Heading down in the morning to scope our place out. I will be there for a few days so I am going to try and get some surveys in for us. Bowslayer, keep the cafe going, it may be our hang out for this season.
                              Yes sir, y'all be careful and have fun.

Comment

Got word this morning that our lease is up for sale. It's a beautiful property and it's a shame. If anyone is in the market for 2100 acres with a brick home and barns/corrals she's on the market. I guess I'll start hauling my stuff home next trip in anticipation of it selling. Also has a bunk house for hunter or the MIL.

Comment

Working...
                                X