Home Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Roof

Last hail storm a few weeks ago totaled our roof. We are getting quotes, but thinking of going with metal depending on the out of pocked upcharge. I have no plans to move, god willing we will live in this house at least another 15-20 years. Anything I should consider? Other than increased cost, any downside? Current roof made it 16 years- is metal worth it assuming we may sell in around 20 years when the kiddo is on her own most likely?

I don't know this for sure, but I've heard that a metal roof can reduce your insurance rates. If so, that may help you balance the added cost out.

Comment

I was talked out of a metal roof by my roofing friend because the rubber washers under the screws wont hold up under the Texas heat and have to be replaced every few years.

Comment

Metal roof will decrease your homeowners policy premium with Farm Bureau

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
          I was talked out of a metal roof by my roofing friend because the rubber washers under the screws wont hold up under the Texas heat and have to be replaced every few years.
          I've had metal roofs for years.................
          And that's the first, I ever heard of this.................
          I say........bunk...........

op---get a metal roof......

Comment

I don't think standing seam uses any rubber washers.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
              That's why you get stand and seam.

The only disadvantage to a stand and seam metal roof is the cost. However, insurance is cheaper and it last longer. So you WILL save money in the long run. Also, it adds value to the home.

Comment

Any new roof will dramatically reduce premiums. I got a new roof this past year. My premium dropped 50% from 2000 to 1000 and I got the proated difference from overpaying in return

WIN WIN

Comment

If you decide to go conventional, my son has a roofing company in the Houston area. If interested, I can send you his contact info.

Comment

What you’re looking for, at least on the insurance side of this question, is what is classified as a class IV impact resistant roof. It can be metal, but can also be other materials, including composition just like what you likely have now. It will give you the same discount from the insurance carrier as the metal roof, but cost less to upgrade to it. Your roofers are all familiar with these and should be able to show you multiple options.

Comment

I just had a new roof put on last week.
                      Was wanting to go metal until I saw the cost. Was almost twice the cost of shingles.
                      Was looking into homeowners insurance discounts for metal. Have progressive now and it didnt seem to make a difference.
                      Called state farm and it was around a 25% discount for metal roof. But, was told you have to sign a waiver that states they will not cover appearance issues such as dents from hail.

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
                        I just had a new roof put on last week.
                        Was wanting to go metal until I saw the cost. Was almost twice the cost of shingles.
                        Was looking into homeowners insurance discounts for metal. Have progressive now and it didnt seem to make a difference.
                        Called state farm and it was around a 25% discount for metal roof. But, was told you have to sign a waiver that states they will not cover appearance issues such as dents from hail.
                        Don't go with state Farm, don't care what they give you. Will post my opinions after all the checks clear.

thanks all, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                          Don't go with state Farm, don't care what they give you. Will post my opinions after all the checks clear.

Am sticking with my current insurance. Even after state farm discount my current insurance is still quite a bit cheaper. I had state farm for decades and they were great. Then when the black mold craze hit 20 around years ago they jacked their home owners rates way up. Was time to shop then.

Comment

We got 25% off of Farm Bureau due to metal roof.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post

Excellent advice.......................
                              S.F. the worst, "supposedly" insurance on the planet.....

Comment

Working...
                              X