MLD and CWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    What can take deer walking around 200 years. Has been spread that far in five hours in the back of a trailer.

Yep. Just miraculously self generated in a breeding facility. Like magic.

Comment

What can take deer walking around 200 years. Has been spread that far in five hours in the back of a trailer.
      Or in the back of a hunters truck. Or at a processing facility or a taxidermist shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
        Is it not possible that this CWD crap has been around here forever? I can remember killing/seeing deer throughout my lifetime that sure looked like they had the same symptoms. And that was in every area of the state. Just back then no one ever talked about it…much different than in today’s world where some feel the need to talk about EVERYTHING. Back then, if you walked up to one and thought “man that’s gross, I’m not eating that”, you would just drag it off. I think it’s been here forever, and will be around forever. Now politicians think they have to fix a problem that is likely un-fixable. Just my opinion of course. And if the state is trying to run a lot of us off the MLD program, they are getting closer to that goal.
        If that were the case, they'd be getting positive test results from everywhere. There is testing going on all over the state but the positive cases are always in and around the known breeding problem areas. All transportation of deer by private parties should have been shut down prior to the first case being found. Then we wouldn't be in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
          If that were the case, they'd be getting positive test results from everywhere. There is testing going on all over the state but the positive cases are always in and around the known breeding problem areas. All transportation of deer by private parties should have been shut down prior to the first case being found. Then we wouldn't be in this situation.
          Come on man! Don’t be introducing facts into this discussion.

Comment

No doubt it's in both the wild herd and the petting zoo herd. Difference is the wild herd naturally takes longer to spread it if infected. Moot point as far as MLD is concerned. Every time TPWD asks for input, it's just to check a box that they did so. Look for mandatory CWD testing next year, and probably a fee for it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Or in the back of a hunters truck. Or at a processing facility or a taxidermist shop.
              Yeah, 1 dead deer going to a processor or taxidermist potentially spreads CWD as much as shipping hundreds of deer across the state so mr. alpha hunter can pose with some horns. LOL As long as breeding is legal have at it, but let's not pretend they aren't part of the problem.
              Last edited by jdg13; 10-12-2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                Yeah, 1 dead deer going to a processor or taxidermist potentially spreads CWD as much as shipping hundreds of deer across the state so mr. alpha hunter can pose with some horns. LOL As long as breeding is legal have at it, but let's not pretend they aren't part of the problem.
                Where did it originate?

Comment

I certainly agree breeders made it worse. I don’t. Haven’t. Won’t hunt those deer. Doesn’t mean I won’t stand up with them when herds and a persons livelyhood got wiped out

Comment

I think part of the reason for MLD "tax" and other fees is to help pay for the testing programs they have implemented. The Kimble county cwd zone tested 750 animals last year. That is only one zone. According to the TPWD website there are now 7 zones in the state. If you do the math, they are testing a ton of deer. Those tests are free to the hunter. However, someone has to pay for them. They are looking for ways to fund their program.

Comment

I certainly agree breeders made it worse. I don’t. Haven’t. Won’t hunt those deer. Doesn’t mean I won’t stand up with them when herds and a persons livelyhood got wiped out
                      The Texas animal health commission pays them $3000 per deer that is euthanized. They probably make more money from having a positive case than if they sold them in the fake deer market.

Comment

Where did it originate?
                        It originated naturally, and then spread naturally. Then someone decided hey lets pen up a bunch of deer so's we can make them big and sell them to folks. Now let's ship them all over the place. Would it have spread naturally, yes. Did man coming in and moving deer help spread it more than it ever would have, you bet.

Comment

It originated naturally, and then spread naturally. Then someone decided hey lets pen up a bunch of deer so's we can make them big and sell them to folks. Now let's ship them all over the place. Would it have spread naturally, yes. Did man coming in and moving deer help spread it more than it ever would have, you bet.
                          Agreed 100% there.

Comment

It originated naturally
                            Not really. It started in a research facility in Colorado. I don’t consider that occurring naturally.

Comment

Not really. It started in a research facility in Colorado. I don’t consider that occurring naturally.

https://wildlife.tamu.edu/cwdhistory/
                              Actually this was the first documented case of it....

Just like Alzheimer's existed before Alois Alzheimer identified the first case in 1906....

Some of these relate to the ability to diagnose the disease, whether it is CWD or AD, or even other diseases

I have a suspicion that it is related to deer density issues, and an neurologic immune reaction that causes the development of CWD, but that is my beer theory

Comment

No offense but you're probably not right on the deer density theory.

We've been dealing with it since it was brought to Wyoming for study many years back and it was discovered in a research facility in Colorado , they were studying scrapies in sheep and deer started exhibiting signs similar to scrapies in sheep.

I'm curious as to where they are wiping out whole deer herds because Colorado tried that and it did not work in established CWD herds, it did work pretty well in another state but I can't recall which state it was. They hit the area hard with population reduction and pretty much knocked down CWD prevalence in that state and area.

Many state have had restrictions for years now on moving heads and spinal columns across state lines, just a little more work.

CWD can spread from a processor facility, intense heat is needed to kill it.

Comment

Working...
                                X