Diesel delete / coal rolling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel delete / coal rolling question

So a 16 year old kid ran over 6 cyclists near Waller last weekend. Witnesses say he was attempting to coal roll them (as he had just done to a group just behind the group he hit), but something happened to where he ran them over.

This has brought up lots of discussion on modifying diesels and I don’t know much about it.

My understanding was most people are modifying them to get performance improvements and that being able to roll coal was a side effect. But then I heard that when you roll coal you’re burning off excess fuel and that wouldn’t be a very good tune to get more performance. So some people are mod-ing just to roll coal.

Anyway can some of you diesel experts explain all the ins and outs of diesel mods?

Also, before DEF diesels couldn’t you roll coal just by slamming on the gas?

I figured we would be talking about the fact that the cops let him go and drive his truck home. The last guy that ran over two people in that county I believe got convicted of murder.

Not a mechanic but when my last truck was deleted I could black out the highway when hitting the on ramp and my truck was super fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rolling coal is just unburned fuel from being over fueled. Older mechanical diesels the fuel pumps could be turned up so much that they "rolled coal" Newer diesels require tuning for this to happen with small or factory turbos.

Older diesels pre 07 ish could puff smoke when floored, but they still needed to be over fueled to smoke.

Comment

"Rolling Coal" is just unburned fuel. All deleted diesels are going to blow some black smoke when you stop on the gas, but with a good quality tune, it will be pretty minimal. Some people will tune their pickups to specifically roll coal by turning up the fuel pump, and some are just due to tuning that's not as good.

Comment

I don't think anyone is modifying their truck just to roll coal. But I'm not a young kid so they might. DEF doesn't have anything to do with it. Prayers for all involved, including the kid. Sometimes stupid mistakes can have lasting unimaginable consequences.

Comment

The smoke is generated before the turbo builds boost and the engine can burn the excess fuel. When it finally built boost that is probably the point that the tires broke loose and he lost control.
            Last edited by kcnatural; 09-28-2021, 07:17 AM. Reason: TAC

Comment

Rolling coal means you're dumping way too much fuel, which is the opposite of performance. Old diesels before all the electronic controls would puff if you floored it until the engine speed caught up and burned the fuel at the proper rate. A good tuner will get you performance without the smoke. The brodozer crowd wants the smoke because they think it looks cool with their rubber band tires, truck nuts, 55 gallon drum exhaust stack, and generally driving like an azzclown. I got behind one yesterday in what looked to be a year or less old chevy. He wasn't even moving, just idling, and had black puffing. Stomped on it to get on the highway and had a huge cloud of stupidity left behind him. And then the same guys moan about why is the EPA is cracking down on diesel tuners...
              Last edited by jdg13; 09-28-2021, 07:20 AM.

Comment

A) I had not heard that story, any idea where in Waller? I know a ton of cyclists head out that way to get away from the city traffic (And I personally really appreciate it because I hate driving through town, and getting stuck behind cyclists doing 12 mph). How in the hell did the police allow him to drive home? Did he self admit to rolling coals on them?

B) The black smoke as others have said is un-burnt fuel. However, it does serve a purpose. The excess fuel is used to cool various components in the engine, not the least of which being the turbo. Modified, high horsepower engines dump excess fuel to keep the factory turbos from burning up. This is why it's not uncommon for people to run their diesels too lean, and burn up a stock turbo. So if you see a truck that is deleted, with a new turbo, there is a reason why. And stay away from it.

Comment

On old 290

Six cyclists were run over by a pickup truck along old 290, roughly 2 miles west of Waller.  In total, four of the cyclists had to be taken to area hospitals, including 2 by helicopter.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                    I figured we would be talking about the fact that the cops let him go and drive his truck home. The last guy that ran over two people in that county I believe got convicted of murder.

Not a mechanic but when my last truck was deleted I could black out the highway when hitting the on ramp and my truck was super fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Id assume they let him go because hes a juvenile

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    A) I had not heard that story, any idea where in Waller? I know a ton of cyclists head out that way to get away from the city traffic (And I personally really appreciate it because I hate driving through town, and getting stuck behind cyclists doing 12 mph). How in the hell did the police allow him to drive home? Did he self admit to rolling coals on them?
                    Old 290 west of 362

Comment

What about letting him take the truck home? Is the truck and any modifications done to it not evidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
                        What about letting him take the truck home? Is the truck and any modifications done to it not evidence?
                        How do you know it was modified? The truck didn't run the folks over, the stupid kid did.

Comment

It doesnt have to be tuned or anything. My kid told me that some kids are dumping oil in the gas or something making it dump. My truck is tuned and it made no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            How do you know it was modified? The truck didn't run the folks over, the stupid kid did.
                            We don’t know and now probably never will. I would think that would be a key piece of evidence for establishing intent if it was modified to purposefully emit excess black smoke. But I don’t know the ins and outs of the mods, hence the thread.

Edit: or is that something the officers could have quickly checked at the scene?
                            Last edited by Jet Black; 09-28-2021, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
                              Wow. Parent's letting their child drive a 500+ hp 8000 lb missile on wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X