No announcement yet.

Protein Feeders per acre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many deer per feeder if that is the correct measurement? Or do you go by consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Consumption. What I like to look at is how long to go through a ton of feed.. Ours will empty a 2000# feeder in 30-35 days, we have 5 of them, they also go through 3 tons of cottonseed as well. We also have 2 1000# timed protein that are set to last the month in a couple of areas that get hit as well, they offset a bit as well.

We like to do a check on the place once a month, so that is our feed rotation, that works for us as we share the duties.

Comment

I’m running 2 on 200 acre

Comment

What is water distribution and what does habitat look like? Are they using the whole place equally?

Deer will tell you where they want to be by eating more there...

Obviously there is a space restriction... deer are only going to walk so far to eat, but there is also a density component.

If you have too many deer that are using the same feeder, some of them aren't going to get as much as they would unless there is more availability.

Comment

So some of the country is old CRP type property with shelter belts and shin oak motts. This place is just under 1000 acres. Has 3 water stations currently spread around the ranch. It borders a 50k acre place on one side.
            Second place is more creek bottom type land and I know there are more deer numbers currently on this place cause they have feeders running and we saw lots of game. It is 1670 acres with some mix of heavy woods and open areas.

Comment

I have about 80 deer, 10 fallow, 20 axis and 30 bb on 500 acres. I have 6 1 ton feeders that are being filled every 4-8 weeks depending on what season/range conditions are like.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol some of these answers

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                  Read Dr DeYoung's study on the Commanche. They have some really good data on the consumption of protein feed by whitetail deer. You can make a rule based on data rather than opinion.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
                  This

Comment

Originally posted by NCTx Dude View Post
                    This

I did but want real world advise.

Comment

Working...
                    X