What would you have done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you have done?

The wife and I went to a middle of the road seafood restaurant last night (name withheld on purpose), and ordered an app, entrees, and a couple of drinks. Now the app we ordered was a seafood cocktail with shrimp, lump crab, avocado, etc... and the entrees we ordered had a seafood cream sauce with lump crab topping. When the app arrived, it was decent but it did not have any crab meat. I asked the waitress and she said they were out of crab meat and couldn't add any. The manager stopped by the table at this point. Here is the conversation we had. Everything was very civil and polite on both ends.

Why I wasn't told when we ordered. - Waitress "I'm sorry, I didn't think you would mind"

Will our meals have the crab meat topping. - Manager "No, they will not"

We would like to change our order. - Manager "I'm sorry but the kitchen is already preparing your meals and it is too late to change them."

I would like a discount for each item that was supposed to have crab that will not have it - Manager "Unfortunately we cannot discount your meals per policy, but I can offer you $10 off your next visit coupon."

Can I use that coupon on this visit? - Manager "No, it can only be used after this visit"

Go ahead and keep the coupon, we will not be coming back.

My wife and I didn't want to cause a scene or deal with drama so we finished the meal, paid with tip, and left. I have had issues at restaurants before, but the managers usually make it right with comped items, etc... I have never had them basically say, "we screwed up and it is on you to deal with it". Has anything like this happened to you? How would you have handled the situation?

I would have handled differently.

Comment

same thing you did OP but no tip. They deserve to lose your business, but not worth getting totally bent out of shape on. Gotta just move on down the tracks

Comment

I probably would have just left without causing a scene before the main dish came out knowing it wasn't going to have the crab meat and knowing they expect you to pay full price on it.

Comment

It was time to not be nice.

Comment

My wife and I would have gotten up and left and paid nothing. You can’t serve me what I prefer then change it. If not, no dinero amigo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would have gotten up and walked out. Left funds on the table for any drinks.

Comment

well, that is some crappy service. I wouldn't have tipped because she knew this when you ordered. If I'm with my wife in public anywhere, I would not have made a scene. If it's just me, the manager would've been very uncomfortable when I was done with him. And, they both would know they wouldn't see me or anyone I could tell, anymore.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2021, 02:36 PM.

Comment

" . I have had issues at restaurants before " And you went back again!!!!!

Comment

Supply chain issue...with food and staff. This manager obviously doesn't have the authority to provide credit and mot trusted yet. Manage at a high level and tell people they can only do XYZ...cost saving model but not client friendly.

Comment

I had a bad service experience at Crackerbarrel. We walked out before even ordering. My wife called corporate and they apologized and sent us a $50 gift card. Gave it away and never been back there. To me, bad service is a deal breaker.

Comment

Probably handled it as best you could. I understand restaurants and people working in them are just trying to make a living and it ****** me off when people treat them like they are personal servants. That said, I don't think they handled it correctly at all either. They won't last long if they keep that up.

Edit: No way insinuating that you treated them like your personal servants. You handled that situation well.

Comment

Most would feel the need to be heard, glad you handled it with some class.

Comment

First world problems

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                              " . I have had issues at restaurants before " And you went back again!!!!!
                              This was the first bad experience at this restaurant. And yes I have gone back to other restaurants where I had a bad experience as long as they made it right. Stuff happens, but not making it right is why we will not go back to this particular place.

Comment

Working...
                              X