South Texas Food Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas Food Plots

First year hunting in South Texas. Have a pretty good feed operation going consisting of pellet protein feed, cottonseed and of course corn. Would like to get some areas cleared after seasons close and put some food plots in. Curious what others have used and have had success with. Thanks in advance.

I hope you have a way to irrigate

Comment

Buck buffet from Pogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
        Buck buffet from Pogue.
        I planted this once. Bought from the co-op in Orange Grove and it came up good until the hogs found it.

Comment

Our guy does clover is what he puts out seems to take most years

Comment

Just plain old whole horse oats. Then you won't be out too much money if it doesn't rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
              I planted this once. Bought from the co-op in Orange Grove and it came up good until the hogs found it.
              We had great luck with it. Even grew in the caliche pipeline. Nothing really ate the rye as well though.

Comment

Same here but they tore up the Austrian winter pea. Planted about 2 acres of it and was lucky enough to have it all the way to December. Once the hogs found out where it was or ran out of whatever they were eating it was destroyed in two days.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                  Same here but they tore up the Austrian winter pea. Planted about 2 acres of it and was lucky enough to have it all the way to December. Once the hogs found out where it was or ran out of whatever they were eating it was destroyed in two days.
                  Yup.

Comment

First year making a plot on our place. It’s worth a shot. Oats, wheat, triticale, turnips, radishes.

Comment

Save your money if you can’t irrigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                        Save your money if you can’t irrigate.
                        This

Comment

We plant fall food plots and include chicory and clovers in our mix so we get some good growth through May and sometimes into June while providing supplemental feed year-round. I wish we could plant summer plots at our place but it's just too dry. The only way I would think you could do it successfully is either by irrigating and/or buying some good no-till equipment and follow what some of these dryland farmers do and build a thick thatch layer to improve the soil and the moisture holding capacity of your soils.

Comment

Working...
                          X