Hornady 165 gr. BTSP performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornady 165 gr. BTSP performance

Looking for the results others are having with the Hornady 165 gr BTSP # 3045. Gun is a DPMS LR 308 with the 7.62 barrel. Bought it for a hog gun. Most hogs run off and die and yea I know that's a good thing. I'm loading 43.0 grains of 4064 and I should be around 2600 fps and at that speed it should expand really well I would think. Looking for your experiences with it.

I have a Contender with the Super 14 30 Herrett barrel. With a 130 gr Hornady spire point it anchors the hogs in place, they just sit back and fall over.

Pretty obvious it's nobody's go to bullet. Then what is.

Comment

A buddy is running 125 grain TMKs out of his AR10 night time rig. It hits em hard

Comment

The bullet is a good one. I’ve shot the 150gr version and the 180gr with great results. It will be perfect for pigs, unless you can find a comparable SP for less $$$.

Jake

Comment

Not an AR, but my Rem Model 7 loves 168 grain Hornady A-Max with 35.9 grains of IMR 4320. I’ve got a batch loaded with 4064 ready to go because they quit making 4320.

Comment

I've got a box of them to load up. If I get half decent accuracy out of them, I'll let ya know how my hunt goes in 3 weeks. Got a 4 day spike and doe hunt at Enchanted Rock SNA. 5 Whitetail and unlimited exotics. I hope to get real bloody!

I've also got several boxes of Nosler Accutips in 165 that I'm gonna check out. And some 150gr Bergers. And some others. I have used Sierra 165 Gamekings before. They preformed pretty well. These all will be out of a 1967 Win 30-06.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the bt's are the same construction as the 165 interlock sp's. I've been shooting them for over 40 years with never any reason to switch.

Comment

Actually, the SST and the Interbond have BT. And the Interlock has an option for BT or Flat Base in .308 cal.

Comment

I load that 165 gn Hornady spire point for my 30-06. It has given its best performance when I use IMR 4064 with Winchester large rifle primers.

It is really too much for whitetail, but really good on hogs. The last one I shot with it was pretty devastating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It’s a superb bullet. I’m using the 165 SST in my .308. At standard, non-magnum cartridge velocities it performs splendidly. I’ve killed some big pigs with it.

Comment

Shot them for years in the 06 on top of IMR 4350.
                      Killed a pile of deer and turkeys with them.
                      They are a controlled expansion bullet, pretty tough.

Comment

Working...
                      X