Saltwater Fishing Gear Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saltwater Fishing Gear Help Needed

I have very little experience with saltwater fishing. I'm going to pick up a rod & spinning reel for inshore fishing. What is a good set-up? TIA

Penn battle ll for a reel. Don't need anything too big. I like and use Allstar Classic rods. You can spend a lot more but I see no reason to.

Comment

Penn battle or fierce

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Abu Garcia spinning reel and 7 ft med action rod.

Comment

For an all around setup get a 7' medium action rod and a 2500 or 3000 size spinning reel.

Get whatever rod your budget allows. The inexpensive All Star Classics will get it done. Waterloo Salinity rods are nice. Falcon Coastals are good, so are Castaways. There are plenty of good options.

Penn Battle III and Fierce III are good. So are the Daiwa BGs. If you want to go a little lower budget the Daiwa Regal 3000 has been good. Spool it up with 20-30# braid and spool it on there tight. If the reel doesn't have a spool set up for braid put a layer of mono on first and then tie your braid to that.

You can do a whole lot of different stuff with that setup. As time goes on if you get more into it you may want to get specialized setups for different tasks but a 7' med action spinning setup will always be one you'll have a use for.

Comment

My wife has an ugly stick 7’ lightweight I used the other day with a small
            Penn on it. I actually liked the way it balanced better than my Stradic on a Kisler. I asked her if she wanted to trade and she refused. Im going to put my reel on her rod and go wade for an hour or two and my just let the Kisler sit

Comment

Hard to beat a Shimano Stradic 3000

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can find one look up the Diawa Laguna. I bought one a few years back on sale for $19 and it has been a great reel. My wife uses it in a 7’ med fishstix coastal pursuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always spend more on my rods than my reels knowing that the salt is going to end up killing the reel eventually.
                  I've ended up with a lot of the Daiwa Regal LT 2500D reels.
                  They're a great reel for the price especially when you can find them on sale and pair that with a rod to match what I'm trying to throw be it a popping cork, corky, top water, etc.
                  If you're really trying to keep the cost down the Shimano Sienna's are a super popular throw away reel option as well.
                  If you want a more expensive option you can spend as much as you want as theirs SO MANY great options out there.
                  The Penn Battle III 2500 DX spinning reels are pretty nice from what I hear and are in the $120~ range but I haven't used them myself.

If I was only going to have one moderately priced setup and it couldn't be a baitcaster I'd probably get a Waterloo Salinity 7' medium-moderate with a Daiwa Regal LT 2500D with 30lb braid for a do-all setup.
                  Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-11-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
                    I always spend more on my rods than my reels knowing that the salt is going to end up killing the reel eventually.
                    I’ve always done this with my fly fishing gear. The reel is just a place to store the fly line. I think I’ll need to pay attention to the reel a little more for this type of fishing. The drag will be way more important on the spinning reel than it is on my fly reels.

I’m leaning toward the Penn Battle III 3000. I’ve seen some good reviews on that model and I don’t want anything too big.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming!

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                      I’ve always done this with my fly fishing gear. The reel is just a place to store the fly line. I think I’ll need to pay attention to the reel a little more for this type of fishing. The drag will be way more important on the spinning reel than it is on my fly reels.

I’m leaning toward the Penn Battle III 3000. I’ve seen some good reviews on that model and I don’t want anything too big.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming!
                      Get the 2500 if you get a Penn. The Penn spinners are already a little on the heavy side and the 3000 is quite a bit heavier than the 2500.

In Daiwa Regal go with the 3000. The handle is better on the Regal 3000 and above vs the 2500 and smaller. And the spools on the Daiwa Regals are a little small. But then on the Daiwa BG go with the 2500.

All of those reels mentioned have drags that will do fine for inshore fishing.

Comment

I was fishing around the jetties a couple of weeks ago and used a new Penn Fierce III 3000 and Ugly Stik 7' medium action rod. Reel was spooled with about 200 yards of 30 lb. Sufix braid in low-vis green. Used 12 lb. green Trilene XL for a leader. It worked great. Put a quality snap swivel on your braid using a Palomar knot, then just snap on various rigs as needed.

Comment

Working...
                        X