Need a little help with Automotive Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a little help with Automotive Paint

I have an old 1994 Dodge Dakota that my son and I are crudely restoring. This is not a show truck or anything just something to get him by for a year. We have done all the mechanical work and painted all the interior components and exterior such as rims, bumpers and mirrors. Now it is time to paint the exterior. This is where I need a little help.

Where do I buy custom mixed automotive paint in the San Antonio, New Braunfels area? I have the paint color information just not sure who to call to have it mixed up along with the correct primer and clear coat. FYI I will be painting with a purple Norther Tools paint gun.

Thanks,
    Monty
    Attached Files

You could have maco do the whole job for under $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

HOME Your Trusted Provider For your automotive paint and supply since 1946. About US PRODUCTS New Products The latest and greatest products at ECS. VIEW ALL TRENDING NOW 2024 Focus Spring Edition VIEW Book TRENDING NOW Delivering Color with @juanmunchgonzalez & @lokey_art Article and Media Gallery READ ARTICLE TRENDING NOW Delivering

They have a store in SA. And can color match to factory specs. I just used the RPO code for my interior. And they mixed it perfectly via computer.

Comment

I can't help you with places in that area, I would Google search for automotive paint supplier.

I would really consider using a single stage paint though, cheaper and easier. Ask them what primer they recommend with what they mix, but I'd be surprised if they suggest something other than a self etching Buff Primer.

Sent from my BE2025 using Tapatalk

Comment

Most shops in the area buy paint from Hoffman's in San Marcos. There are numerous places in San Antonio, a buddy of mine works for one of them, don't remember what company it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            http://www.englishcolor.com/

They have a store in SA. And can color match to factory specs. I just used the RPO code for my interior. And they mixed it perfectly via computer.
            Two different English Color stores I have been to in the far north Dallas area had the absolute best customer service. Just so good that you leave saying you'd never go anywhere else, wondering why every business isn't like that.

They can mix to a paint code, pick out a color patch out of a book, or scan and match.

Will mix either single stage or dual stage with several varieties of quality/$. Grab you a $15 gun from HF and go to town. Painting lease rides, heavy equipment, and tractors with their cheapest has been great.

Comment

Thanks all for the info. Looks like I need to do a little more research on 1 stage vs 2 stage painting.

Comment

Definitely just ask them. An amateur's description, 2 stage is basically a paint and then clear coat on top. 1 stage is just the paint, clear coat is not required on that paint.

Comment

Working...
                X