Lost a great one last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost a great one last night

I can't muster another tribute to this great man so I am just copying my post from FB. Good Lord he was fun to share a campfire with. Hardest thing I've ever been thru in my life.

Almost 31 years ago I was blessed to have met the love of my life. I realize how lucky I was to find her but what I didn't know was what a great package deal I was getting-her dad! I lost my father at an early age but was fortunate to have a tough momma and an older brother to keep me in line. What I didn't realize was how much of an impact one man-David Jacobs-would have on me. Over the next three decades we shared many a Christmas morning, campfire, fishing boat, and card table. I learned to never judge, assume, hate, or take for granted anything in life. He taught me the value of a dollar bill, hard work, and loyalty to a fault. He showed me how to be the best father anyone could ever ask for and to live every day of your life like it was the last one. Whether you called him Mr. Jacobs, David, Hank, or Cookie, he treated everyone with respect.
    As I reminisce about the man who became a father to me, I can't help but smile. He took a chance a long time ago and moved his family from the small town of Big Lake to Houston because he believed he could turn one little product he was selling into a solid business. I'd say he accomplished that and more. Seatex Corp was his baby and he invested his whole being into that company and the employees who worked there and it showed in the way it grew beyond anyone's wildest dreams. No one, and I mean no one, lived life fuller than David Jacobs. Many of you were fortunate to also share an adventure or two with him and, whether it was him making his famous "Blazing Saddle Beans", marking every deer blind with flagging tape, stuffing dollar bills behind his ear when he was winning at poker, or saying "bye dead" when he knocked you out of one of those poker games called Screw Your Neighbor, he never failed at entertaining a crowd.
    I am completely comfortable in knowing where he is right now. How could anyone not be? It seems he had an unending stream of ways he was going to solidify his trip to the Pearly Gates. From his weekly Meals on Wheels to his constant presence as an usher at church on Sundays, he obsessed over doing good deeds for other people. To punctuate his faith, he had one last gift he gave his family. The following is copy and paste of a text I sent out to a few friends last night that I feel is worth sharing.

Little story for ya. Take it for what it's worth. David was very content in his faith. Didn't push it but was solid as a rock. So as the time drew near this evening and his girls and wife struggled with the decision to stop the BP meds and turn off the respiratory, (as was the Dr.'s recommendation) David's pastor shows up to pray with the family. In the middle of the prayer, David's BP drops to nothing and his big old heart stopped beating. Literally in the middle of his last prayer, while his whole family is around him, he said adios. He was NOT about to let his daughters make that decision. Even on his way off this earth, he was taking care of his precious daughters.

I know some day I will not feel this huge void I have right now and will be able to look back at all the memories we had together with our families and smile, but right now I am struggling to feel anything but sadness that he, and I, and Jake, won't be able to take one more trip to Alaska, or I won't be able to put him on a deer of a lifetime, or beat him one more time at Low Chicago and hear his patented excuse, "I had Polio you know!" It is very cliche to say "They broke the mold" but trust me, they didn't just break it with Hank, they obliterated it.
    RIP Hank, I Love You
    Attached Files

Sorry for your loss

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great man. Prayers up for you and your family.

Comment

Sorry for your loss

Comment

Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Prayers sent!

Comment

prayers up

Comment

prayers , hugs and support sent brother

Comment

Prayers to your family. ..sounds like an amazing man!

Comment

Sorry for your lose. He sounds like an amazing man. Talk about a leap of faith leaving Big Lake for Houston.

Comment

Very sorry prayers sent

Comment

Sorry for your loss prayers sent!

Comment

What a great tribute. May God bless.

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Prayers sent!
                              Sounds like a great man

Comment