Pig Saddle vs Deathgrip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig Saddle vs Deathgrip

Does anyone have any real world comparisons between the two? Leaning hard towards the pig saddle at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only used the pig saddle with the ball head.. I love it. Ball head is smooth, rock steady. I've used it quite a bit, standing, sitting, blinds, on cliffs. Great tool.

Haven't used the other, so couldn't offer info on it.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
      Does anyone have any real world comparisons between the two? Leaning hard towards the pig saddle at the moment.

I have the hog saddle set up.. tripod/ballhead/saddle.. I looked at the death grip before ordering and played with it prior to buying my hog saddle.

I went aluminum tripod from Hog Saddle.

Here are some of what I went through-

1. Use- I plan to use mine as a spot stalk set up for hunting pigs at night. I'm 6'2 but hunt with a buddy that is 5'5.. so easy adjustability

2. Weight - carbon death grip weighed more than the aluminum tripod set up from Hog Saddle. Carbon fiber bog is 9lbs. I think my set up is like 8.5lbs.

3. Ball head - BOG is all one piece, where as the Hog Saddle is two piece. This is better for two reasons. A. Better movement from the ball head. B. if needed I can use it for a spotter or binos when glassing.

4. Reviews- talked to a guy that had the carbon bog and it bent on a hunt and was basically useless. Read a bunch of mediocre reviews as well.

5. Price - only place the BOG won. $300 for the carbon fiber.

I have had mine for over a year and have used it alot. Actually used it in Wyoming to get a solid shot at my pronghorn last year.

Even let my buddy use it for for his crossbow.

Now if it were just for a blind.. save the money ad buy the BOG.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
        I have the hog saddle set up.. tripod/ballhead/saddle.. I looked at the death grip before ordering and played with it prior to buying my hog saddle.

I went aluminum tripod from Hog Saddle.

Here are some of what I went through-

1. Use- I plan to use mine as a spot stalk set up for hunting pigs at night. I'm 6'2 but hunt with a buddy that is 5'5.. so easy adjustability

2. Weight - carbon death grip weighed more than the aluminum tripod set up from Hog Saddle. Carbon fiber bog is 9lbs. I think my set up is like 8.5lbs.

3. Ball head - BOG is all one piece, where as the Hog Saddle is two piece. This is better for two reasons. A. Better movement from the ball head. B. if needed I can use it for a spotter or binos when glassing.

4. Reviews- talked to a guy that had the carbon bog and it bent on a hunt and was basically useless. Read a bunch of mediocre reviews as well.

5. Price - only place the BOG won. $300 for the carbon fiber.

I have had mine for over a year and have used it alot. Actually used it in Wyoming to get a solid shot at my pronghorn last year.

Even let my buddy use it for for his crossbow.

Now if it were just for a blind.. save the money ad buy the BOG.

I'm only looking at the heads themselves. I've got a set of legs and ballhead already.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
          I'm only looking at the heads themselves. I've got a set of legs and ballhead already.

https://www.boghunt.com/pods/deathgr...e/1117132.html
          Ah... still pig saddle or hog saddle if you want to drop the extra $$

Comment

Out of the two, I'd take the pig saddle hands down. I had a pig saddle for a while and have also used a buddy's Bog Deathgrip a few times. Pig saddle is much better quality. I've since gotten rid of the pig saddle and gone to direct ARCA rail setups on all my rifles and won't look back. It can get expensive if you have a bunch of rifles to set up, but is much more solid, and saves a decent amount of weight.

Comment

ARCA rail with ballhead all the way. I had a BOG DeathGrip. I don’t anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                ARCA rail with ballhead all the way. I had a BOG DeathGrip. I don’t anymore.
                Do you have any links of exactly what you got?

Comment

If you have ARs that you can install the rail.. that is an excellent option.

I use mine with ARs and bolt actions(and lend to friends) and didnt want to put rails on my bolt action rilfes.

There is a guy on Instagram/youtube that runs down option. A.amatine or txkiller. He provides lots of good info.

Also look at kopfjager reaper rail if going that way. They have an arca swiss or rail adapter.
                  For those wanting the benefits of a ball-head without all the drawbacks, the Reaper Rail offers both vertical and horizontal travel along with cant adjustment. Available with Picatinny or Arca Swiss mounting options, Reaper Rails don't sacrifice an ounce of stability and maintain  Kopfjäger's signature heavy-duty const

Comment

I just ordered an Innorel tripod on Amazon;

Very happy with it for what it cost. I think Leofoto tripods can be had for a tad more.

Some come with ball heads but I opted to order a ball-head from Two Vets.

So far I am pleased with this in relation to cost as well but need to get some field time to see if it will pass the abuse test.

This rig will hold my 10+ LB chassis gun steady with ease.

Comment

I completely forgot about the Triclawps. Think I might go with the Solo. Half the weight, same price, a little more adjustable.

Comment

Working...
                      X