ETX Public Land - opinions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been listening to a lot of hunting podcasts lately trying to refresh my brain on all of the hunting tactics and tricks that I need to remember for hunting public land. I’ve been listening to the southern outdoorsman a lot lately and they have some great guests and information. However I still feel like there is a disconnect between public land in “The south” vs Texas public land. From what I’ve gathered, most of the public land in states like Alabama and Georgia have sporadic food plots in them. This is something I’ve never encountered in the National Forest or Sam. The biggest thing I struggle with is finding mature buck core areas in ETX public land. My guess is that bucks in “the south” have less core areas they frequent, making it easier to nail down where to hunt them. However I feel in places like the DCNF and Sam, bucks may have a core area much larger than other states. Whether that be from pressure, browse availability, water, etc. I’m not sure. I guess my question is, for those of you who have hunted public land in “the south” outside of Texas, does deer behavior and patterns follow suit here? Is it just as difficult to find a bucks core area on other states as it is here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer are behaviors different from public area to public area.... No matter the state.. Now, Texas could do a lot better with its public lands but it simply will not.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
      Deer are behaviors different from public area to public area.... No matter the state.. Now, Texas could do a lot better with its public lands but it simply will not.

In what way? I’ll agree with that as a general statement but what better could be done in your opinion?

Comment

ETX Public Woods....for the love of God wear blaze orange for your own safety.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          I’ve been listening to a lot of hunting podcasts lately trying to refresh my brain on all of the hunting tactics and tricks that I need to remember for hunting public land. I’ve been listening to the southern outdoorsman a lot lately and they have some great guests and information. However I still feel like there is a disconnect between public land in “The south” vs Texas public land. From what I’ve gathered, most of the public land in states like Alabama and Georgia have sporadic food plots in them. This is something I’ve never encountered in the National Forest or Sam. The biggest thing I struggle with is finding mature buck core areas in ETX public land. My guess is that bucks in “the south” have less core areas they frequent, making it easier to nail down where to hunt them. However I feel in places like the DCNF and Sam, bucks may have a core area much larger than other states. Whether that be from pressure, browse availability, water, etc. I’m not sure. I guess my question is, for those of you who have hunted public land in “the south” outside of Texas, does deer behavior and patterns follow suit here? Is it just as difficult to find a bucks core area on other states as it is here?

I've wondered this myself. I transitioned from primarily hunting private to public land 9 seasons ago but have only hunted NE Texas. I've listened to several podcasts and read at a couple of books focusing on public land buck's but just not seeing the link between those and hunting Texas lands.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

There were plots years ago that were put in the Sam. I don't know of any in the last 10 or so years. Burns are about all is done now. I believe it takes very little pressure for deer to go nocturnal in national forests. The mature bucks in the forests I believe have a small core area. I have literally walked on top of several before they get up from just a few feet away and that is unfortunate for the area when this happens. That buck will associate that spot now to me scaring him and probably make him nocturnal for a few weeks. There are only 2 times I am sure these bucks really move in day light. 1st is when does are in heat. I believe the really mature deer are active for only a week at peak of estrus for the does. Yes 2-3 year olds will be busy for the month but not 4+ year olds. The next time is when food gets scarce which can occur the last couple weeks of the season if it has been damp and freezing.

If you hunt open area such as fields or clear cuts, you could get lucky. I prefer the thickest, nastiest stuff you can hunt. I have seen and killed bigger deer in briars, thick tree stands, and over grown bottoms. The last big one was in a yaupon thicket I had to get up 35 feet or so to see down into the thick cover.
            Just remember too, if you don't see deer in an area, move 100 or 200 yards. It can be a whole new world. And it always is, when you are in the thick stuff. Good luck this year.

Comment

Public gets more pressure now than in the past because of the rising costs of leases.
              Makes finding an undisturbed mature deer less likely.
              Aside from learning your area, learn when does come into estrus, it varies by county and area more than most people realize. Certain areas I hunt year after year does come in same time within a few days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I pretty much agree with etx bowhunter. As far as east texas nation forrest, i believe the mature bucks have a very small core area where they feel safe and avoid pressure, and they don't travel far from it outside the rut. They are bedding and feeding in the thicket. You cant see them and they hear you coming from a mile away. You have to scout the thickets in the off season and youll find their beds and there will be rubs all around it. Then its just a matter of playing the wind and sneaking as close as you dare. Like etx said, get up high so you can see down in it, then just hope to get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                  In what way? I’ll agree with that as a general statement but what better could be done in your opinion?

Deer in most southern states will not walk cross or use a food plot during daylight hours during the hunting season unless they are almost starved. Midwest they might use such openings freely. Depending on hunting pressure and habitat, deer maybe less wary on given public areas. Others, they may look up side ways to pick you out. Big bucks as for as I can tell still maintain a small core area, utilizing darkness and whatever food sources that are available.

Comment

Hr3, I’m curious also on what you think could be better done?

Comment

Here’s another tip, look up the hiking trails and stay away from them. Nothing worse than pack of yahoo’s coming through your spot on a nice morning hike.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                        Here’s another tip, look up the hiking trails and stay away from them. Nothing worse than pack of yahoo’s coming through your spot on a nice morning hike.

I learned that the hard way a few years ago lol.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                          There were plots years ago that were put in the Sam. I don't know of any in the last 10 or so years. Burns are about all is done now. I believe it takes very little pressure for deer to go nocturnal in national forests. The mature bucks in the forests I believe have a small core area. I have literally walked on top of several before they get up from just a few feet away and that is unfortunate for the area when this happens. That buck will associate that spot now to me scaring him and probably make him nocturnal for a few weeks. There are only 2 times I am sure these bucks really move in day light. 1st is when does are in heat. I believe the really mature deer are active for only a week at peak of estrus for the does. Yes 2-3 year olds will be busy for the month but not 4+ year olds. The next time is when food gets scarce which can occur the last couple weeks of the season if it has been damp and freezing.

If you hunt open area such as fields or clear cuts, you could get lucky. I prefer the thickest, nastiest stuff you can hunt. I have seen and killed bigger deer in briars, thick tree stands, and over grown bottoms. The last big one was in a yaupon thicket I had to get up 35 feet or so to see down into the thick cover.
                          Just remember too, if you don't see deer in an area, move 100 or 200 yards. It can be a whole new world. And it always is, when you are in the thick stuff. Good luck this year.

I agree with you. I’ve never personally stumbled upon a big buck, but I’ve heard of it happening to friends and I’ve heard things wandering away in the thick stuff while I trekked through. Who knows what it could’ve been.

What you said about late season is interesting. In my experience I’ve found hunting the National Forest later than mid December to be almost pointless. Out of probably 10-20 late season hunts I’ve seen bucks one time, New Year’s Day in day light. They were all young bucks but it’s the only time. I came to the conclusion all of the mature bucks had moved their home range closer to feeders and whatever natural browse is left, casting them over the fence onto private properties with less pressure. I know this isn’t a guarantee, but finding a mature buck walking in daylight in the NF late December has been quite a daunting task. Regardless of the bedding areas I found.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                            Hr3, I’m curious also on what you think could be better done?
                            Maintain roads, signs, trails, wildlife openings and monitor access points better.... Percentage of APH permits should go towards these things. IMHO, the state of Texas would much rather see hunters spend their money hunting with ranched/outfitters to than to spend excess funds on public land upgrades. Again, the ramblings of an ol'man who sees a conspiracy around every corner.... Lol

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                              Maintain roads, signs, trails, wildlife openings and monitor access points better.... Percentage of APH permits should go towards these things. IMHO, the state of Texas would much rather see hunters spend their money hunting with ranched/outfitters to than to spend excess funds on public land upgrades. Again, the ramblings of an ol'man who sees a conspiracy around every corner.... Lol

I’d agree with that

Edit: maybe even some food plots [emoji57]

Comment

Working...
                              X