Arrowhead ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    It is not Clovis. If the base is intact I probably can.i am pretty sure what it is right now.
    In for the answer......................

Comment

Originally posted by GreenZ View Post
      Maybe he meant Karankawa, Idk.
      you are right on the spelling, beer don't help my spelling for sure. What I meant to say was that the point wasn't made here on the coast but somewhere in central Texas and transported to the coast.

And, the Karankawas MADE very few tools since there is virtually zero material for points. What they did use was sharpened sticks. imagine going alligator hunting with a sharpen stick. They were tough people, mosquitos woulda killed me.

Comment

Lol. Think about this, is it possible that the point wasn’t traded/lost somewhere on that beach from a recent Indian tribe or might it have washed up on the beach from an ancient hunting ground maybe a mile(s) offshore which is now covered in water?

Comment

Hey really cool find. It's a knife blade. Hard to date exactly but it's old, pre white man I think. Great patina on that one glad she rescued it from the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
            They were tough people, mosquitos woulda killed me.
            I believe they coated theirselves in mud to deal with the mosquito's. Everything i read about them said they smelled absolutely awful.
            Me and my wife purchased some land in Port Lavaca that apparently had some of the last concentrations of them before they were slaughtered after being forced from San-Felipe area.

Comment

I heard they covered themselves with mud as well as animal fat and that one could smell an encampment from a long way off. Maybe it was the original birth control.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                I heard they covered themselves with mud as well as animal fat and that one could smell an encampment from a long way off. Maybe it was the original birth control.
                Alligator fat to be exact.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfellah View Post
                  Lol. Think about this, is it possible that the point wasn’t traded/lost somewhere on that beach from a recent Indian tribe or might it have washed up on the beach from an ancient hunting ground maybe a mile(s) offshore which is now covered in water?
                  Absolutely this. They have found a ton of Clovis points that washed up on McFadden beach that were from camps miles offshore now.

The sea has been rising for at least 60,000 years. They found a preserved ancient cypress forest 10 miles off the Alabama coast after Hurricane Ivan stirred up the bottom and uncovered it.

Comment

In for Steve's answer.

Cool find.

Comment

Amazing that a brittle piece of chert rock could survive that many thousands of years in one piece after it has already been beat on and flaked into that thin shape.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                        Absolutely this. They have found a ton of Clovis points that washed up on McFadden beach that were from camps miles offshore now.

The sea has been rising for at least 60,000 years. They found a preserved ancient cypress forest 10 miles off the Alabama coast after Hurricane Ivan stirred up the bottom and uncovered it.
                        Yep, gives me something to do when I set my bull red lines out on McFadden. That’s neat about the cypress forest, I’m going to have to read up on that.

Comment

Don’t know if these pics will help, but it looks like the base is missing.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Kinda hard to tell since missing most of the base but how bout an early archaic lanceolate blade, Angostura?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfellah View Post
                              Kinda hard to tell since missing most of the base but how bout an early archaic lanceolate blade, Angostura?
                              Dead on for my thoughts. Missing diagnostic piece off base but everything us right fir ango. 9000ish years old

Comment

Bernadel grew up with them...........

Cool find................

Comment

Working...
                                X