Lease setup ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease setup ideas

Hey guys! It looks like I finally have a great lease this year. Truth be told, I haven’t set up a ton of places on my own…. As in 2. This is the first one that will be bow only. I had a few questions and some room for input

1) planning on making a 15’ round feed pen with 1 corn feeder and a no till/ throw clover food plot near the pen.

( anyone have any input on the best no hassle food plot blends)

2) considering putting corn/soybeans in a bigger feeder with an agitator plate and varmint cage to A) save money b) time and energy.
    ( around 5 seconds per throw set at 7am and 4pm.

3) 2 tree stands/tripods…. One on either side of the pen to play the wind.

4) one box blind around 300 yards off just for hog hunting over a big field

5) spypoint link micro LTE cameras to monitor action

( question…. Can I use another solar charger besides the brand label one)

As always thanks for the input from everyone! I love being able to meet so many of you guys and chat!

#1- no till/ throw clover food plot near the pen.
    just a suggestion, but I would get a soil sample kit (about $20) and see what would grow in your soil. May save you some money and frustrations.

Comment

I have another question.
      I just got my used Spypoint Micro Link LTE…. Has anyone ran a 6v instead of a 12V with their trail cam with good results?
      Thanks guys

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, except for the 15' feed pen. That's way too small.

Comment

Need a giant pen, period. Like 10 panels as smallest.

Comment

As others have said, make your pen bigger, I like at least 12 panels. When I set up a spot for bow hunting, I make sure the wind is not going to swirl due to a lot of thick brush and tree's. I like to have my stands in a lone tree or brush so there isn't a bunch of tree's or brush behind me. This will allow the wind to hit me in the face and continue to blow past me and well behind me. If you set up with a bunch trees and or brush around you and right behind you, the wind will hit you and then hit all those tree's and brush and will swirl around and possibly go right to your feeder area. Also the less brush and tree's that are behind you will also reduce the animals that will come in behind you because they like to stick to cover coming into a feeder if they can. My best setups have always been with a lot of brush behind the feeder and then my stand in a lone tree with no cover next to me or behind me.

Comment

Good input! So 30-30 pen at smallest
              Anyone have any camera 6V input

Comment

I just had a couple Spypoint Link Micro cameras out (borrowed from a buddy) on a new place close to home. They sucked. I drove down to my lease and picked up my Coverts. Got them set up, and they're cranking out great pics.

The Spypoint pics were terrible quality. One of the battery packs would work occasionally, but mostly not. One camera took lots of pics at night, but they were all black. No flash. Pretty new cameras too. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Just my .02 cents

1) planning on making a 15’ round feed pen with 1 corn feeder and a no till/ throw clover food plot near the pen.
                  A. Needs to be bigger, much bigger

( anyone have any input on the best no hassle food plot blends)
                  A: Green Cover, has a multitude of greens and types

2) considering putting corn/soybeans in a bigger feeder with an agitator plate and varmint cage to A) save money b) time and energy.
                  ( around 5 seconds per throw set at 7am and 4pm.
                  A: Seems like a good idea.

3) 2 tree stands/tripods…. One on either side of the pen to play the wind.
                  A: I would go with 1 in North West corner, one in Southwest Corner as long as they are approachable.

4) one box blind around 300 yards off just for hog hunting over a big field
                  A: I assume you'll be using this in off season to hunt hogs with a gun?

5) spypoint link micro LTE cameras to monitor action
                  A: have no experience with this.

( question…. Can I use another solar charger besides the brand label one)
                  A: I did on my Coverts and they worked better

As always thanks for the input from everyone! I love being able to meet so many of you guys and chat![/QUOTE]

Comment

Yes off season hog hunting but will have a little during season too from time to time. Trying to keep the guns as far from the deer area as possible

Comment

Bringing this back up. Anyone use a 6v battery with a solar charger instead of a 12? Thanks

Comment

So here is what I have now. A feeder that is now gravity fed with a game winner gravity attachment, a 20-20 clover food plot and a 40-40 brassica/winter pea plot.
                        The feeder pen has come down due to the deer not coming near it for over a month

Comment

No deer or hogs at the feeder lately even when I stay away for a week or more. I think the area is very green with plenty of browse and farmland nearby. Come November/December stuff might start moving again

Comment

do not get a spy point camera browning makes a way better camera that even takes videos

Comment

Working...
                            X