No announcement yet.

Employee attendance incentive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked at a place where they would pay you 50% of your non-used sick time. They always paid the first of Dec. so it was like getting a Christmas Bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
      I am the operations manager

new hires get 5 PTO days @ 90 days
      we have a point system an un-excused absence = 1 point late or leave early you get 1/3 of a point. when you hit seven points your terminated.
      we have a really good group of guys, but that bottom 10% drags us down.
      we have employee about 80% welders, the rest are painters, assemblers and machine operators. we pay very competitively for our area.
      Identify the 10%, terminate, and rehire someone better.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm not picking on you...just reminding myself two things:

1. My boss is the luckiest guy on earth.
      2. I never want to be the boss.

Comment

I work for a fire dept. Our benefits including sick time are set by the state of Texas.

We have a program where you don't call in sick for 6month you can covert 24hrs of sick to vacation, if you dont use sick for 1 year you get to convert an additional 48hrs

Comment

We have a plant incentive plan that averages 6% of annual pay at the end of the year.

Any unexcused absence is a 5% penalty take away from incentive payout.

All penalty money goes into a pot which gets split by employees with perfect attendance.

Progressive discipline points system also used. Each unexcused absence results in a point. Accumulate enough points in a 6 month rolling window = termination.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
            I am the operations manager

new hires get 5 PTO days @ 90 days
            we have a point system an un-excused absence = 1 point late or leave early you get 1/3 of a point. when you hit seven points your terminated.
            we have a really good group of guys, but that bottom 10% drags us down.
            we have employee about 80% welders, the rest are painters, assemblers and machine operators. we pay very competitively for our area.
            No matter what you do you'll always have 10% of your workforce going above and beyond, day in, day out. You'll have another 80% of your workforce shows up, does their job, meets requirements and is content. The last 10% are the ones that don't want to be there.

I wouldn't worry about that 10% too much. They'll hit their 7 points and get canned unless they're covered under FMLA. Where you need to be putting your biggest focus on is the 80% that show up and do decent work. Try to get that 80% to focus on being like the better 10% and I think you'll find more value in that.

Comment

Is a dam paycheck not enough incentive?

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                Is a dam paycheck not enough incentive?
                Sure it is, when you know you're gonna keep getting it if you call out JUST enough to stay within the rules.

I had a guy who would do that back when I was branch manager at my old job, our corporate rule for no-call no-show was three in a row (yep.. had to be consecutive days) so when he would go on a bender he would make sure to call in on the third day and use JUST enough sick days.

HR kept overruling me when I demanded to be able to let him go until he came to work one day obviously high on something WAY stronger than pot, I coaxed an email from my boss, the regional manager, to let him to go and did the deed all before HR could overrule him. I guess it's easier to ask for forgiveness from corporate when you swing one at the regional level...

It's amazing how much effort some people will put into not having to do their job...

Comment

I work in a human service organization. We have a bunch of different levels of staff, but in our shift work positions, we lose about 10% a day to call ins. Put that together with a 70% fill rate and roughly 80% annual turnover, and "fire them" doesn't come into play. We can't hire and train them as fast as we're burning them, and we don't have enough bodies to go around. When you're working forced double shifts, or when you're working short handed weeks in a row, sometimes a call in is the only way to get some relief. It's a vicious cycle.

Comment

Just don't tolerate it. find your biggest offenders and make an example out of them. I don't call in very often. Maybe once in the last 10 years. I will tell my boss that I need to take off later in the week. I always tell him that I'll make up for it by coming in late and leaving early.

Comment

I feel your pain........ There are some trades/positions in some markets that is so thin you can't lay anyone off or send them home for a week. I know that is perpetuating the issue but what is worse of the two evils? It is a really sucky situation to be in.

Comment

Come to work or get fired seems pretty basic but it’s effective.

Per my hand book I give 1 written warning, 2nd offense is written warning with 2 days off without pay, 3rd offense is grounds for dismissal.

I don’t like the idea of paying sick days up front because I don’t want legit sick people dragging in infecting everyone.

Comment

Tough when a high school grad starts at $19 an hr at walmart distribution, my step son did and still couldn't make it to work......

Comment

I've been in a very similar situation with my prior Company and shop I Managed in Midland/Odessa. Mine was smaller scale then yours, 5 field/shop hands. The work ethics out there are horrid with most people. I had one guy in particular, who was the manager before I took over, that would call in every week bc he would get 'sick' from eating at Taco Villa. Yes, every single week before I canned his arse, he would call in. Several weeks, twice. It didn't bother me bc he was the poison in my shop so I just let him stay at home but it started to show to the other guys that he was getting away with it so a couple of them started doing it too. I would let them call in but I wouldn't approve their time cards with PTO on it to fill in hours they would miss. so I was hitting them in the pockets and they didn't like it. I had to have an 'intervention' with them all and let them know they are not needed and will be replaced and will continue to not let them use PTO for calling in. My efforts were being ignored so I got rid of the poison. He thought he was untouchable bc he was friends with guys above me. I didn't care and did what was needed. The others soon saw and understood what happened and why.

I see your issue being just like mine. There is a 'poison' in your shop that is leading the others to do the same. Granted, those guys know they can go get another low wage job and continue doing the same somewhere else. Look thru your employees and find the poison. I bet you there is a guy who doesn't call in as much but does and others see it. Some you will never change but I you can do better.
                            And dang sure don't give an incentive to come to work!!!!

Comment

If they are calling in sick we need to get together because I have a benefit that will cut that out

Comment

we have the same attendance issues down here. just have to performance manage them out the door.

our figuring was that for every 7 we hired, 1 person worked out. we had a high of 150 people working for us at peak....

Comment

Working...
                                X