Anyone hunt Starr County?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunt Starr County?

I recently got on a new lease in Starr County, I have never hunter this far down before and I’ve noticed that it’s a bit different from where I used to hunt in Webb County. I know there’s some folks on here who hunt this area, I’d love to see pics of mature bucks you’ve taken or have trail cam pics of.

A lot of it depends on where in the county you're located and the specifics of the ranch. I've hunted Starr County ranches that were so overgrazed by cattle that it was difficult for anything to live there. I've been on others where there were deer everywhere. Pics would be too difficult for me to find, but I don't think I personally saw anything over 130-140. There are bigger deer there, I just never saw any either on cameras or in person. A lot also depends on how well the place has been managed (I guess like everywhere else), and what kinds of ranches are around it, but hopefully you latched onto a good one.

Comment

We hunt in San Isidro

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
        A lot of it depends on where in the county you're located and the specifics of the ranch. I've hunted Starr County ranches that were so overgrazed by cattle that it was difficult for anything to live there. I've been on others where there were deer everywhere. Pics would be too difficult for me to find, but I don't think I personally saw anything over 130-140. There are bigger deer there, I just never saw any either on cameras or in person. A lot also depends on how well the place has been managed (I guess like everywhere else), and what kinds of ranches are around it, but hopefully you latched onto a good one.
        Thanks for the input. I think it’s a pretty good spot, no cattle on it (except for a few rouges that broke in from the neighbors) and pretty thick brush throughout. The property backs up the federal wildlife refuge that is north of La Puerta, and cattle ranch on the other side. I’ve been getting some trail cam pics of deer but the bucks are in the very early stage of antler growth right now.

Comment

Where in Starr are you located...I'm on 7000 acres in the center of the county.

Yes, it is the hardest country to hunt that I have ever been on. Just wish we had some motty / open area. Our entire place is thickest plot of prickers on the planet.

Let me know if you need any assistance with poachers or the like...I have the contacts for all the GW's.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            Where in Starr are you located...I'm on 7000 acres in the center of the county.

Yes, it is the hardest country to hunt that I have ever been on. Just wish we had some motty / open area. Our entire place is thickest plot of prickers on the planet.

Let me know if you need any assistance with poachers or the like...I have the contacts for all the GW's.
            Thanks! Good to know. The lease is a few miles out of Rio Grande City off 755, very thick brush throughout the property, I’ve got a couple small senderos at my hunting area and looks promising so far.

Comment

We are in between 755 & 3167 North of Rio...feel free to pm me if I can help or have any questions. The Fed GW is a good friend and former Starr State warden and knows most all of the area / land owners well.

In general, Starr has excellent native browse that holds a lot of protein but entirely dependent on good conditions for it to be available. For some reason it's been difficult (our place included) for the deer to start hitting protein. It took a bad drought but they are coming around on our place. I know other land owners who gave up.

Like any other county in the state if you are hunting low fence then the neighbors & their practices will really be the deciding factor on the quality of the deer. Good luck.

Comment

I’m in Starr as well, I haven’t had much luck at my lease. This might be my last season on it, it’s not a top dollar lease. You get what you pay for I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  We are in between 755 & 3167 North of Rio...feel free to pm me if I can help or have any questions. The Fed GW is a good friend and former Starr State warden and knows most all of the area / land owners well.

In general, Starr has excellent native browse that holds a lot of protein but entirely dependent on good conditions for it to be available. For some reason it's been difficult (our place included) for the deer to start hitting protein. It took a bad drought but they are coming around on our place. I know other land owners who gave up.

Like any other county in the state if you are hunting low fence then the neighbors & their practices will really be the deciding factor on the quality of the deer. Good luck.
                  Thank you I appreciate the info

Comment

Hunted several years in Starr county off 755 and 3167 lots of poaching and overhunting the ranches a lot of them are small leases especially off 755, no big mature deer unless it’s high fenced and game managed from what I saw over the years. Lots of inferior genetics, we tried to manage but always kept catching poachers hunting and illegals to say the least was a major problem.

Comment

I’m off of 649 Las Escobas Rd. And yea the mentality on the small leases there is “if it’s brown it’s down” I came to the conclusion that I won’t shoot anything worth a crap there.

Comment

I shot this buck in January. Lease is east of falcon lake on Alvaro’s rd. Need anything let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This buck was also taken in January

Comment

Another Starr county buck from the lease

Low fence ranch, some cattle. We feed corn year around. Have never dealt with poachers and surprising no illegal activity this past season.

Comment

Son shot this cull

Comment

Working...
                              X