Firework Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firework Death

A caller told a 911 dispatcher that Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks was about to go into convulsions after he was struck in the chest with an errant Fourth of July fireworks mortar blast at a Michigan home.

This was in Michigan and an NHL hockey player died when he took an artillery mortar shell to the chest.

Anybody ever been hit with one of these? I took one to the back a few years ago in an incident that involved too much beer and not enough sense. Knocked me down and couldn't breathe for a minute. Felt like I was hit with a sledge hammer and had a scar of the impact for a couple years. Felt like it cracked a rib or two but I never got checked out.

Anyway, those things are pretty dangerous. I'd recommend the boxes over the stand alone drop-in mortar tubes. Much sturdier and less likely to tip over when stuff hits the fan. Stay safe.

Took one on the side of the leg about 5-6 years ago, it was upside down in the tube so the whole thing just exploded out. The concussion was noticeable!

Comment

I think they are available in different sizes.

Comment

i wired my artillery to a flat piece of plywood for this exact reason... they can tip easily and fire at you directly

Comment

Knew a guy in high school who had one blow up in his hand (it was common practice to throw them instead of using the tube) blew his hole hand clean off.

Comment

No, but a family member put one in upside down and sent everyone scrambling when it blew. We screw them down to wood to keep them from tipping over.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
              Anybody ever been hit with one of these? I took one to the back a few years ago in an incident that involved too much beer and not enough sense. Knocked me down and couldn't breathe for a minute. Felt like I was hit with a sledge hammer and had a scar of the impact for a couple years. Felt like it cracked a rib or two but I never got checked out.
              When we were kids we'd run around with the tubes and shoot them over eachother. Buddy pointed one out and neglected to hold the bottom, when it fired it blew out the back and thumped him directly in the chest. He went down hard and we though he was a goner. He said his heart was doing some weird things. We took off to take him to the hospital but he wanted to go home instead so we dropped him off at home.

Comment

We've always made a platform for them as mentioned earlier.

Years ago a buddy used to tape them together (about 6-8) and the first one blew the bottom out. Tipped it over and fired the rest at about 30 of us running for the hills. Solid base from there on.

Comment

Dang things come out of the tube with incredible force.
                  We screw ours to plywood as well

Comment

Nope. Never have been hit but on the 4th I was sure hoping one of the kids would knock a tube over and skip an artillery shell off the pavement and smoke my cousins meth head boyfriend right in the gourd. But....no such luck. He's still alive.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^
                      LOL.....you trip me out!

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
                        No, but a family member put one in upside down and sent everyone scrambling when it blew. We screw them down to wood to keep them from tipping over.
                        We talked about screwing them down prior to shooting them off. Also talked about filling up the spray rig on the tractor in case the pasture caught fire. We got busy with our beverages and neglected those two things. Would have taken 10 minutes and made the night so much better lol. Live (luckily) and learn.

Comment

Didn’t I read somewhere that he slipped trying to get away and hit his head causing his death?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had one fall over at a "drunkard firework show" and the round hit my truck toolbox. Put a good dent in that toolbox, so I bet it could some damage to a body.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                              Didn’t I read somewhere that he slipped trying to get away and hit his head causing his death?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              That's what they first reported but as it turns out the firework caught him square in the chest.

Comment

Working...
                              X