School Me on Red Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Me on Red Wine

Specifically Cabernet Sauvignon- good brands and years. Best Bargains and what is a good rating. Never been a wine guy really but had some last weekend that was really good and want to try more.

I'm typically a neat whiskey drinker but also enjoy a glass of cabernet. Only wine i'll drink but don't know what or why i like it. In for some schooling on the subject...

Comment

This is what I know about wine, if the top screws off it has a chance of being good if it's cold. If it has a cork it's not so good.

Comment

If you are looking for a cheap but good one - Bogle Cabernet Sauvignon is one I enjoy. For a $10ish bottle of wine it punches up a few weight classes.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          Specifically Cabernet Sauvignon- good brands and years. Best Bargains and what is a good rating. Never been a wine guy really but had some last weekend that was really good and want to try more.
          Caymus is my go to but **** they have doubled in price the last 5 years. This sounds crazy, but the temp you serve it at and the glass you pour it in will make a cheaper bottle taste better.

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
            Caymus is my go to but **** they have doubled in price the last 5 years. This sounds crazy, but the temp you serve it at and the glass you pour it in will make a cheaper bottle taste better.
            Not sure on the glass, but these were served room temp, allowed to breathe first and poured through an aerator. Did make a difference, as did spending $40-50 vs $10-20. We also got ones rated in the mid to upper 90s

Comment

Try Meiomi Cabernet Sauvignon. Pretty good at a decent price point.

Comment

This is one of our favorites. It’s $14

It not too dry and not too sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are so many variables here. What my wife and I do is hit up Total Wines and pick 6 random bottles at $15 or under (you get a discount with 6 or more). We try different ones, and take pictures of the ones we like for future purchases. If you have a total wine near you, Martin's Pick Up Cabernet is pretty dang good and around $7 a bottle. We went with it for our wedding last year we liked it so much. Another thing, try other reds. Pinot Noir and Bordeaux are two I like as well as cabernet. Chateau Bois Redon is really good at $14ish and Meiomi Pinot is solid at $17ish. The main thing I suggest is to try different ones to see what you like. And you don't have to spend big $ either. There are way too many fantastic bottles under $20 or even under $10.

Comment

Hindsight, Decoy, or 19 Crimes. All very good reds at decent prices.

Comment

Caymus reserve, that is all.

Comment

Decoy, Robert Mondovi, Chateau St Michelle, 14 hands

Those are some budget friendly brands that I like.

Probably decoy and 14 hands as the top 2.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                          Decoy, Robert Mondovi, Chateau St Michelle, 14 hands

Those are some budget friendly brands that I like.

Probably decoy and 14 hands as the top 2.

14 Hands is another good one. Good suggestion there

Comment

Thanks for the info i need to go to Total Wine soon.
                            These I buy every trip.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You are local so you have good store options. Kroger, HEB, Specs, and Total. Anything 90 points and above is considered very good and you can get these in the 16-25 dollar range all day long. There is significant diminished marginal utility in wines at higher price points. The difference between a 10 dollar bottle and a 30 dollar bottle is immense but the difference between a 50 dollar bottle and a 300 dollar bottle is miniscule. I rarely buy wines over 20 dollars but almost always around the 90 point range. Any of the stores above have people that are trained in wines and will gladly help you. I you like Cabs you will also love blends as they are generally majority merlot or cab. You can get French Bordeaux now for under 20 bucks that are amazing. I really suggest speaking with someone at the store as brands change vintage to vintage. I could suggest a certain brand I had that was delicious but was a 17 and then you go to the store and buy it but it was an 18 and weather was **** that year making for a sub par wine.

Also there are wine apps with reviews, go to store, scan a pic of the bottle and you will get a million reviews.
                              Last edited by Ætheling; 06-29-2021, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X