Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Football is a business! Businesses get sold and merge everyday. It’s about the Benjamins!

It was going to happen eventually. Texas had discussed moving to the SEC back in the 90’s.

I have my seats at DKR and this will be fun. Texas will get their share of great talent playing in the best conference in college football!

Comment

So Texas also had Texas A&M interest in trying to get them out of the Big 12 and into a better conference? Big bad, Texas who only cares for itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
        So Texas also had Texas A&M interest in trying to get them out of the Big 12 and into a better conference? Big bad, Texas who only cares for itself?

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Lowftin does go on to say that he didn't think Powers was being completely nefarious but still human nature dictates that that conversation wasn't going to be accepted in a positive way.

Of course big question would be better for who?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I'd be very curious what major moves toward realignment Texas/ou/Big12 tried to make before this, that were opposed by Tech, TCU, OSU, etc.

To clarify, I wonder what other strategies were attempted first, ie try to get with ND and go BIG 10, Poaching others and going in an entirely different direction, etc.
            Who knows, I'm sure there back room talks we're not privy too that happened in 1995, 2010 and 2011

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
              its a pattern, SWC, B12, rinse repeat...
              LOL, Jimbo saying Texas better be careful what they wish for, the SEC better be careful what they wish for bringing in UT!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter11 View Post
                Lowftin does go on to say that he didn't think Powers was being completely nefarious but still human nature dictates that that conversation wasn't going to be accepted in a positive way.

Of course big question would be better for who?
                That is a good question and I am sure Texas saw its reasons for the move, but was bringing A&M as well. I think when you are doing with high profile deals the less amount of people in the room, the better chance you have of getting a deal ironed out and not leaked.......see the current SEC / Texas / OU deal.

Bill Powers was an academic guy and wanted to be more aligned with the academic institutions in the PAC. He is the same guy that told the SEC no, because of their academic standards of those schools. This is a prefect example of the President and the Athletic Department not being on the same page back then and why it helps to have them on the same page now.

At the time, it seemed to be the best move they could make. Maybe not the right move, but the best option. Years down the road, it looks like it is about to work out for everyone just fine.

Comment

The question becomes, who is the Big 10's final team? Iowa State makes the most sense ( geographically, athletically on the rise, AAU credited) but bring in zero extra TVs. Does KU and Iowa State move the needle with the TV guys to warrant them adding?

If not them, who would be the two teams to get them to 16 if Texas / OU are off the table.
                  Iowa keeps Iowa State out plus cyclones don't move the needle. BIG would probably take Kansas though, and their wet dream is Notre Dame but ND has been stubborn on remaining Indy for years.

Comment

I heard one of the talking heads on the radio this morning say that this has been in the works for about 6 months & the SEC purposely left A&M out of the loop. They also said this could be official as soon as next week. I think that the Super Conference’s are future & the Football will divest from NCAA. I think that it’s a win/win for everyone.

Comment

Just reported on Sportscenter. Said it's been in the works for 6 months as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a good question and I am sure Texas saw its reasons for the move, but was bringing A&M as well. I think when you are doing with high profile deals the less amount of people in the room, the better chance you have of getting a deal ironed out and not leaked.......see the current SEC / Texas / OU deal.

Bill Powers was an academic guy and wanted to be more aligned with the academic institutions in the PAC. He is the same guy that told the SEC no, because of their academic standards of those schools. This is a prefect example of the President and the Athletic Department not being on the same page back then and why it helps to have them on the same page now.

At the time, it seemed to be the best move they could make. Maybe not the right move, but the best option. Years down the road, it looks like it is about to work out for everyone just fine.

Baylor/TCU/Tech says whattt

They gone

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            Iowa keeps Iowa State out plus cyclones don't move the needle. BIG would probably take Kansas though, and their wet dream is Notre Dame but ND has been stubborn on remaining Indy for years.
                            ND would have to get out of the agreement they have with the ACC. The contract states that if ND joins a conference, it has be the ACC and that agreement is until 2036. I have no idea what the buy out is on the agreement. I am sure if the Big 10 could get ND to make the jump they would find the dollars anyway. It seems the ND / ACC current agreement is going well as ND gets to have its cake and eat it too.

Man, if that was Texas you would really blow your top.

Comment

They gone
                              LOL was about to post the same thing, works out good for 2 schools, hurts 8 others, overall this does more damage than good.

Comment

They gone
                                My bad.

The reality was the Big 12 was not going to work and there was not good enough partners for expansion. The only move I saw was pulling in Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, and Utah and the Big 12 did not have the leadership to make that happen. The conference was going away. If everyone finds homes in a Power 5 conference, I would say it worked out in the end.

Hopefully they slide into the PAC and compete. With the wife being a Red Raider, I would love a weekend in Oxford, MS for an Ole Miss game and then be at Autzen Stadium with Tech playing Oregon the next weekend. That is my selfish reasons for this all going down.
                                Last edited by Heath; 07-23-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X