Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
    Looks like the crankcase vent.

It should not have any fuel going through it. It just sucks the vapors from the crankcase, and runs them through the combustion.

I would guess that you have a stuck needle in your carb, which is allowing fuel to overfill and leak out that vent. Time for a careful teardown and cleaning.

It's a good idea to wash your equipment from time to time. I wash my mowers (both riding and push) after each use. I get very little rust, since nothing is trapping in moisture. It also makes them run cooler and they aren't such a mess to work on when you do maintenance.
    This makes sense. I’m no mechanic, but I thought it was strange for gas going thru this hose.

Comment

Ok, I need to look at the carb. Can anybody post up a good video for me to look at for a stuck valve?

Comment

Tap on the carb with a wrench. This will free the float valve a lot of times. Post a pic of the carb.
        Last edited by Walker; 07-16-2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
          Could also be the vent for the gas tank is plugged or blocked by dirt/mud dauber. If the tank cannot get air in to replace the fuel burned it starts to go under vacuum resulting in a collapsed bulb. See it often in boat fuel lines but not much on a mower.

Tim
          Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
          Crack the gas cap and try it, probably plugged vent in cap.
          kinda what I was thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
            post a pic of the carb.
            [ATTACH]1055924[/ATTACH]

Comment

Is that a Briggs? Kohler maybe? Also what horsepower is the engine?

Will help to find a video for ya

They’re pretty simple, and I’m sure there is a how-to video. Once you’ve gone through a couple of them, you can figure out most others.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Motor is a 15.5 hp Briggs. From what I’ve found, it sounds like a stuck float valve. Hopefully, I can get it loose and not have to replace any more parts. The last time I worked on a carburetor, I replaced the one on my 4 wheeler. About 2 or 3 months later, this happened!!!!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2A6A98AC-F43F-449D-92E4-F2C188CFE17E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	24657059

Comment

Don't take anything apart til you wash that thing

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                    Motor is a 15.5 hp Briggs. From what I’ve found, it sounds like a stuck float valve. Hopefully, I can get it loose and not have to replace any more parts. The last time I worked on a carburetor, I replaced the one on my 4 wheeler. About 2 or 3 months later, this happened!!!!
                    [ATTACH]1055947[/ATTACH]

Don't do that anymore!

Comment

See if this is similar to the one you have.

I think this is the parts kit

Carburetor Repair Kits for Briggs & Stratton 796184 Master Overhaul Nikki Carbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW6Y8E6...X0JKYM1YNCJDFG

New gaskets, float, and other goodies.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        Don't do that anymore!
                        Naw, that was a one time thing. All I did on this one was replaced the carb with a new one. Pretty simple, or I thought!!! Only thing I can figure, it sprung a small leak sometime after I installed it cause it didn’t leak after I got done. And it must have been real small that I couldn’t smell gas. Went to the lease, parked at trail head to a feeder and walked in. Spent about 10 minutes and headed back. That’s when I found it on fire. The motor was off too. And I had just topped off the tank. All I could do was watch. Took about 20 minutes!!!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	33ED5745-74A3-4820-A608-87BBF189DFA1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	24657063

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                          See if this is similar to the one you have.

I think this is the parts kit

Carburetor Repair Kits for Briggs & Stratton 796184 Master Overhaul Nikki Carbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW6Y8E6...X0JKYM1YNCJDFG

New gaskets, float, and other goodies.

Henry David Thoreau
                          Thanks for your help. That was the best video I’ve seen so far as far as taking one apart, cleaning, etc.
                          I took the carb apart and the float seemed good. With that video, it’s showing that my issue is going to be the seat on the float needle. So come next week, I’m gonna go by the small engine place and see if I can get what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                            Thanks for your help. That was the best video I’ve seen so far as far as taking one apart, cleaning, etc.
                            I took the carb apart and the float seemed good. With that video, it’s showing that my issue is going to be the seat on the float needle. So come next week, I’m gonna go by the small engine place and see if I can get what I need.
                            Put the float and needle back in and hook fuel line back up. Lift the float gently with your finger and see if it stops the fuel flow. Needles rarely go bad.

Comment

The equipment looks neglected. For future reference......keep air filter clean, run the carb dry, change the oil and add stabilizer to any fuel in the tanks before storing. Lines won't rot, will start every time, will last a long time, and save you tons of frustration.
                              Hope you get them running again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                                Put the float and needle back in and hook fuel line back up. Lift the float gently with your finger and see if it stops the fuel flow. Needles rarely go bad.
                                I don’t think it’s the needle but the seat. Something like a small rubber o ring. That’s what I need to change. Gas is still leaking but not near as bad as it was.

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                                The equipment looks neglected. For future reference......keep air filter clean, run the carb dry, change the oil and add stabilizer to any fuel in the tanks before storing. Lines won't rot, will start every time, will last a long time, and save you tons of frustration.
                                Hope you get them running again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                                This is my wife’s mower!!
                                I bought a brand new air filter for it, new fuel filter, and added a on/off valve on the fuel line where she can run it dry. She’s supposed to been running non ethanol gas in it.
                                What????
                                Y’all’s wives don’t mow your yards???

Comment

Working...
                                X