No announcement yet.

50+ Workouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those eligible for Medicare, if you have a Medicare Advantage plan, Silver Sneakers might make you eligible for a free gym membership. At 68, I am on Medicare, and my plan provides me with a free gym membership at my local gym which is open 24-7 with a key fob that lets me in anytime I want. I got arthritis in my knee from too much tennis and walking, and my back went out, so I am slowly working back up to where I was with an hour treadmill then sit ups, leg lifts, bench presses and pull downs.

Comment

My did is around 65 and still getting it! Weights, running etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
        For those eligible for Medicare, if you have a Medicare Advantage plan, Silver Sneakers might make you eligible for a free gym membership. At 68, I am on Medicare, and my plan provides me with a free gym membership at my local gym which is open 24-7 with a key fob that lets me in anytime I want. I got arthritis in my knee from too much tennis and walking, and my back went out, so I am slowly working back up to where I was with an hour treadmill then sit ups, leg lifts, bench presses and pull downs.
        Unless you are retired military, Tricare as a secondary says “use the gym on base”

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
          Sounds like you do similar workouts to what I do. Ive been lifting since HS with only maybe a few years off due to light injury or other circumstance. Is this something you have done most if your life and are still doing it or did you begin later on? Im hoping that if I continue on like I have since HS it will be easier to continue on into my 80s in some fashion. I hope to lift on my dying day honestly though I know eventually the weight will have to drop off at some point. Currently 42 and can still lift and HIIT calisthenics like I was 18. I have achilles tendonitis from an injury a few years ago so need to work on that. Working out is therapy I cant live without. Encouraging to see this thread.
          I've always lifted and exercised. I've slacked for a while a few times here and there. I try real hard to miss more than a week nowadays. It's a lot harder to start over than it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
            Look into Orange Theory Fitness

This.

I’m 33 and really enjoy orange theory. Started a year ago. Ive done it all except boxing/martial arts/fighting workouts.

I was a golds gym faithful from 2007 to 2012. Then got into CrossFit from 2012 to 2015. CrossFit will get you in shape but you have to remember that there are a lot of high risk movements that have the potential to really hurt you.

From 2016 to 2020 I kind of took a hiatus from working out on a structured schedule because I put all my energy towards building my practice. My wife started orange theory in 2018 and got into her personal best shape. I knew orange theory was the real deal when my wife smoked me on a hike to Arthur’s Seat in Scotland.

Joined orange theory last summer and I can honestly say I am in the best shape I’ve ever been in. Also didn’t have to beat my body **** with heavy heavy weights to do so. I’m faster, have more endurance, and more agile. I do miss lifting in the gym from time to time but I like that I can workout in an hour and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I heard some advice years ago, “pick out an old guy that represents where you’d like to be physically and ask them what to do. Any young pup can give advice because they are young and immortal, its sustaining it for life that is important”.

The old guy’s name was Richard Marcinko and when I watched him do what he do in December of 1989 at his age, I followed SOME of his plan.

Exercise to live life and don’t give yourself setbacks.

So, if you are 19-40 years old, you should have strength, endurance, and be in good shape…Thats youth, enjoy it. Old guys should not take fitness advice from pups & kittens.

Even better advice is from old guys that have been severely knocked down by life but get back up and persist.
              Last edited by Johnny44; 06-26-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                How many of you over 50s still workout? If so, what fo yall do? Conditioning? Strength? Both? Any specific exercises?
                I do the same thing I have always done I’m 56. We moved into a new house and kind of got away from it but will be starting back next month when our local gym opens. 3 days a week I do 5 miles (walk, run , crawl). 3 days a week I hit the Gym for strength training. On my gym days I do 2 to 3 miles. This along with eating clean and lots of water and you would be amazed at the gains you’ll make and weight you’ll lose in 6 months. I rest on the 7th day.

After you hit your weight goal you can do the 3 days in the gym and 2 to 3 miles after to maintain. I don’t run that much as my knees take a beating so I walk about half .
                Last edited by sharkhunter; 06-26-2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  I've always lifted and exercised. I've slacked for a while a few times here and there. I try real hard to miss more than a week nowadays. It's a lot harder to start over than it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Cool. I feel like dog **** if I dont work out. Can’t imagine being in a position where I cant. Even if all I can rock is a pair of 10 pound dumbbells and a mile walk when Im in my 80s Ill be happy. If I make it of course.

Comment

71 in August. I set up a cable system in my car port so I can do many exercises 1 arm or 2, Including multi muscle exercises that include core. Push ups and sit ups. Cycled 20 miles on the back roads of Grayson County yesterday.

Comment

Interval sprints on treadmill two or three times a week (sprint being a relative term).
                      Jiu Jitsu or striking 3 days a week.
                      Usually some body weight exercises or regular weights on the days I do treadmill. I always have at least one day completely off and sometimes take an entire week off.

Comment

55 and work out consistently 4-5 times per week (tend to take off weekends as travel to farm).

2-3 days weights after 30 minutes of cardio to warm up
                        2-3 days of yoga (alternate from lift and cardio days).
                        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Gary- how did you get a yoga routine. I want to start because it has many balance and core benefits but dont know where to start honestly

Comment

Check out Funk Roberts on YouTube. Tons of workouts for men over 40. Follow along style that will kick your butt and you won’t get bored. They work!! I am 45with zero metabolism and I’ve lost over 20 pounds in the last three months
                            I know I know I’m not 50 yet but it’s coming up fast!

Comment

Do about 6-7 miles per week on tread mill then lift weights three times per week.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                                Gary- how did you get a yoga routine. I want to start because it has many balance and core benefits but dont know where to start honestly

Glen - I reluctantly started yoga after blowing my back out following surgery 10 years prior. Physical Therapist, Neuro surgeon, Acupunturist and personal doctor all advised I try it to strengthen core and base.

Living in Richmond, Texas we had a yoga studio close by ran by a friend (our boys played baseball together). Feeling no pressure (or less pressure) I felt comfortable joining a beginners class, series of 10 classes to teach the basics. By the time I had completed the 10 classes, I signed up for even more as I felt benefits almost immediatly. Relocated to Calgary again and found another class, then same in BC. Back in Sugar Land and my yoga studio is now my gym (Life time fitness). Benefits I have felt are much broader than core strength and flexibility
                                1) De stresser
                                2) Taught me how to breathe properly leading to
                                3) Better sleep
                                4) Removed leg phantom pains I continued to experience post back surgery that were neuro related
                                5) etc...

Life changer for me to be frank, changing quality of life.
                                Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Working...
                                X