6.5G, which scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5G, which scope?

I built this 6.5 Grendel with all LaRue parts (except the stripped lower) for my 7 year old son to hopefully kill his first deer this upcoming season. I went this route because the AR platform fits him well and I was told this caliber is good for deer that are not way out there.

Now I need a scope for it, I am thinking something 10x or less. Maybe an illuminated dot so it takes the guess work out. Budget is $300-600. Which scope would you all recommend? Shots will be 100 yards or less and hoping more in the 50-75 yard range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by RJK70; 06-11-2021, 07:47 AM.

The VX®-3HD 3.5-10x50mm delivers legendary performance and extreme clarity in an incredibly tough, lightweight package. Its versatile magnification and larger objective can get the job done in almost any scenario.

You can probably beat this price, but I would definitely get into a 50mm obj.

Comment

I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18 and really like it. Have shot animals out to 300.

Comment

Don't overthink it for a 100 yard gun. Simple illuminated duplex reticle in 3-9 or 2-7 should be all that is needed. Definitely don't want confusion for him. This is one of the those you can actually get away with something in the lower end of scopes.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
          Don't overthink it for a 100 yard gun. Simple illuminated duplex reticle in 3-9 or 2-7 should be all that is needed. Definitely don't want confusion for him. This is one of the those you can actually get away with something in the lower end of scopes.
          Until you put it on his NEXT rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-3-5-10x50-cds-zl-duplex

You can probably beat this price, but I would definitely get into a 50mm obj.
            I agree with this. Also agree with Dale’s comment suggesting to stay away from something cheaper. Your son’s age is the confidence building time, last thing you want is a cheap *** scope getting off and causing issues down the line.

Comment

A 2.5-10 Accupoint would be pretty hard to beat for a hunting rifle like that. Lowlight ability is excellent, and they’re solid optics.

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions so far and for a regular scope would agree.

Assuming you will be hunting with him and take care of everything I'll suggest putting a wraith on it (fits your budget). And by taking care of everything I mean batteries charged, turning scope on w/ correct reticle, hitting the record button, etc. The main reason is the record function. I can't tell you how nice it has been to be able to get the gun from my kid after the shot and rewind it to see where he was holding, how steady he was and where the dot was when the trigger was pulled. It takes a lot of the guess work out and has confirmed hits and misses and why for both. Plus the shot, etc is on video for memories sake. They like to go back and rewatch it. Another reason is multiple reticles. You can sight in at 20 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards, etc. and change back and forth at the push of a button. If you put it on the correct reticle it becomes as simple as put the dot where you want to hit and squeeze. There is no aim an inch high or low, etc. At 100 yards you shouldn't have issues with that anyway but I have had issues with deer being too close and shooting low as well. And finally, it allows easy night hunting for pigs, coons, etc. I have found this to help some with kids getting antsy in the stand and being ready to get our right before dark. If they know there could be a shot opportunity 10-15 min after dark they are more inclined to want to stay.

Good luck, my kids love shooting my 6.5 G and it does the trick on deer at that range.
                Last edited by cehorn; 06-11-2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Look at the Athlon scopes. They are very nice for the money. My daughters 243 has one and so do a few of my other guns. A red dot is also not a bad way to go. Keeps their eye away from any scope so they are not blinking and pulling their head away. Then once he gets to shooting more and gets more comfortable with it get him a scope to shoot farther ranges.

Comment

1-6 or 1-8 power. Im getting a 1-6x44 konuspro put on mine soon. I wanted the larger front lense

Comment

I put a Nikon P-308 with the BDC reticle on my 6.5 Grendel due to the similar ballistics in the 200-400 yard range I figure I'll get to shoot. So far its been a tack driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X