Locating fault lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locating fault lines?

An older man that lives across the street mentioned in passing there were fault lines in the neighborhood.

I’ve looked all over and can’t find any interactive maps that actually show any. Am I missing something here? Is there a better software or program I should be using?

The search area would be Rosehill Texas. West of Tomball. If anyone could help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I dealt with this issue south of Tomball years ago and the geology department at U of H had information on the fault lines in Tomball. It's been so long ago I don't remember any names but you can start there.

Comment

I lived a couple of blocks from a fault line for 15 years. Twice it moved and all the homes on the line got damage of some sort or another. They are out there........

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
        I lived a couple of blocks from a fault line for 15 years. Twice it moved and all the homes on the line got damage of some sort or another. They are out there........

Is it something insurance covers you think?

Comment

Google Tomball Fault line. It runs across 249 and has actually damaged on of the elementry schools.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
            Is it something insurance covers you think?

I guess it would be like living on the coast. Home ins would be pricey...........

Comment

My wife is pretty good at finding fault a few days a month, we could get you scheduled.

Talk to someone in the geology dept at Lonestar college. My professor talked about the fault line running through town. Per him, it ran along the bump in the road by the old Klein grocery sign on 249 if you've lived here that long.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                My wife is pretty good at finding fault a few days a month, we could get you scheduled.

Talk to someone in the geology dept at Lonestar college. My professor talked about the fault line running through town. Per him, it ran along the bump in the road by the old Klein grocery sign on 249 if you've lived here that long.
                That's what we were always told.

I lived in the house across the street from the lake in rosewood most of my life. There was never any damage reported to homes by anyone

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My grandfather used to joke that he would have a detached garage at his home in Ft Worth somewhere in the next 75-100 years.

Comment

In several parts of Texas they seem to follow a major road. 249 in Tomball, Mopac in Austin, 1604 in San Antonio. Don't know about North Texas. Not sure if TXDOT plans it that way or they don't check before they build a road.

Comment

Wasn’t there an earthquake like 1872 that killed something like 1400 people here in Houston?

Comment

I wonder if an old timer could find them with a witching stick, like they do with underground water.

Comment

Originally posted by 4xBuilder View Post
                          I wonder if an old timer could find them with a witching stick, like they do with underground water.

No idea. But I do know that witching is 100% real. I do it all the time to locate electrical Undergrounds and water and gas pipes. I use a survey flag

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                            No idea. But I do know that witching is 100% real. I do it all the time to locate electrical Undergrounds and water and gas pipes. I use a survey flag

First time I was told about this I thought I was being scammed. Thats some voo-doo stuff

Comment

Go to usda and search geological fault lines. There are tons of them in the Houston area. On highway 45 near Conroe there is a building supply company lumber 84 has fault line right thru the property. They constantly are repairing pavements. On 45 you can see the distress in the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X