Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #1
ross
Four Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Webb, Gillespie counties
Default NWR La Sal Del Rey New Years youth hunt

This year was my sonís year for draw hunts. He drew Powderhorn which we just finished this week and also drew La Sal del Rey NWR for the hunt at the end of December. Has anyone hunted there before and what are the trail/ roads like on the inside. Iím trying to figure out the best method to get a Nilgai out if we get lucky. I have heard a 2 wheel wheel barrow works pretty good and of course a game cart. Iím assuming the roads through the property are pretty sandy which would make it hard to push/pull a cart. We arenít looking to shoot a big bull mainly get a cow or two for meat and maybe a whitetail. Any info or tips on this property would be greatly appreciated.
ross is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
mmurphey
Four Point

Quarter in the field and pack them out with a good frame pack. If you cart them I would still plan on quartering them to reduce the weight. I've carted a field dressed bull out of Laguna Atascosa, and that was not fun even with three people taking turns!

I hunted the Tecelote NWR which is very close and the soil was very sandy. Even walking was a little trudgy, the sandy soil collapses a little each step. I packed two cows out: One with a pack only and one I had a buddy fetch my cart while I quartered the cow. With two adults the cart was fine, but with one I preferred the pack method.
mmurphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
CaptTank
Six Point

Hunt In: Bee Co, Goliad Co, Gonzales Co, Fayette Co,Real Co., Caldwell County
Default NWR La Sal Del Rey New Years youth hunt

My son was drawn for La Sal Del Rey 12/16-18. I have packed 4 Nilgai and 3 whitetail out of Laguna Atascosa. I am figuring this terrain will be similar, but wonít know till we get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by CaptTank; 11-24-2022 at 02:46 PM.
CaptTank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #4
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sonora/Sutton County

In one section of the hunt area, the main road is limestone all the way thru. I packed out a cow on that road with my game cart. The other areas and roads are sandy loam type dirt. It’s packed but super soft and very hard to drag a cart on. Take a cart with with bigger wider wheels and you’ll be fine. My cart has the narrow hard rubber wheels and it sucked royally pulling that thru the soft dirt
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
ross
Four Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Webb, Gillespie counties

Thanks for the info! I guess I’ll take a pack frame and start looking for a cart. Was planning on hunting on the north side by Chapa Road but will have to see what it looks like once we get down there.
ross is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 07:30 PM   #6
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

The best to yall, Ross.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top