Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
Ricochet83
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan County
Default Opinions on why its so hard to find leases

So i have been pondering this alot lately as i have been on the search for 2 years now for a lease for 3 somewhere in the hill country with what i would consider a healthy budget and minimal hunting pressure as i am really the only deer hunter and the other 2 want turkeys' hogs and so forth with an occasional deer (every other year). But it seems almost impossible to find a place to lease. I know others have the same problem by the posts i see on here and other forums. So what gives when and why did it become so difficult to find a place? I tend to think alot of it has to do with generational issues such as the first and some second generation property owners are getting to the age where if they are still alive they dont want to mess with the property anymore and properties are now getting handed down or willed to the next generation and they want nothing to do with the property so they sell it off and make their money. Curious as to what the opinions are on here as to why it has become the way it has become. Then to maybe its just me and i am to hung up on finding that needle in a haystack.
Ricochet83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Hill country and minimum hunting pressure is almost an impossible combination. You’re making it hard on yourself. Lower your standards and there are leases to be found. Just about every hunter on here would like to hunt a place like your looking for
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #3
Ricochet83
Six Point

The minimal hunting pressure comment was referring to our group of three. Sorry about that. Being during deer season the other 2 in the group may go out 1 time. I completely get that there is going to be pressure from the surrounding properties and i am ok with that just noting we arent shoot em up cowboys.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Gotcha on the hunting pressure comment. That makes more sense.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ghlight=leases

Not sure if you saw it or not, but this is a thread of available leases. You may find one to your liking. If not maybe something until what you want shows up. Good luck.

AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 12:57 PM   #5
Jamerendino
Four Point

I think it's hard because it's an invite only party. All the good ones, cheap or expensive, close or far, have someone on the lease. That someone finds the next members. It's not hard to fill. It's a 10 walking into a bar at 2 a.m kinda thing.

Open your network or contacts and let your friends know your looking, then remind them until you find something. Customer service or sales friends are great to remind as they interact and talk to a lot of people.

You can also package hunt and let the landowner or outfitter know you're looking. Sometimes they say screw guiding and switch to a lease structure.

My .02. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Jamerendino is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 12:57 PM   #6
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

I think landowners not wanting to deal with the hassle and or kids inheriting land and wanting to sell it. I have some buddies on a 900 acre lease in junction where they have maybe taken 10 deer in 5 years. They mainly go just to get away and enjoy life and let the kids shoot animals.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Too many people and too few available properties. Population is growing and acreage available for hunting is dwindling quickly. Plain and simple. When supply is low and demand is high the select few get to partake. That means more money, and good references. Most of the good properties have people waiting to get on, and they are all people a lease member knows or is related to.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 01:01 PM   #8
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

With the amount of people from California and New York moving to central Texas the available hunting properties are getting few and far between. Top that with windmill, solar and oil the land owners do not need hunters to pay the taxes any more.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #9
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

I contribute it to fragmentation and idiots. Landowners with huntable size tracts and who truly don't need lease money simply won't deal with the drama. Folks used to be land poor and needed that supplemental income, but many of those old timers have died off or the properties have sold because of sky high land prices. I may be way off base, but that is my thoughts on it. Lol
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #10
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
I think landowners not wanting to deal with the hassle and or kids inheriting land and wanting to sell it. I have some buddies on a 900 acre lease in junction where they have maybe taken 10 deer in 5 years. They mainly go just to get away and enjoy life and let the kids shoot animals.
This describes two different local guys 1 his family has 12000 acres
His cousin runs 1/3 of it and has been leasing, Paul refuses to lease anything, says 1 he doesnít need the money,2 leasing is a major headache and intrusion
Mark down the road is desperate to keep his hunters for the cash flow
But his dad & sister could care less about leasing and only do so to
Keep mark from selling off more of the ranch for lifestyle .
The new Hillcounrty is going down hill fast , expensive, high pressure
Urbanization,
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 01:19 PM   #11
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

Lots of people have bought land to hunt for themselves and their families. Almost all of the people I have hunted with in the past own their ranches and don’t lease anymore.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #12
100%TtId
Pope & Young

That new Starbucks sits on ground that great grandad used to hunt.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 01:41 PM   #13
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Supply and demand is the east answer, especially in the hill country. Also Iíve heard of outfitters going to landowners and offering top $. Didnít believe it but itís happening to us and the main group has been on the lease 26 years. Landowner got offered great money from an outfitter that is gonna run day hunts
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #14
Ricochet83
Six Point

I think the Californiacation of the hill country is probably a fair guess also after reading the comments. What better way to force the masses into your tree hugger mentality than to buy up all the property you can and not allow hunting. The last lease we had was south in George west and we were on there for 8 years but the land poor comment was spot on as to why we are no longer there. LO had 3 properties all in the 300-500 acre range and he was into cattle and once he started to go broke the property we leased was his least beneficial for his cattle operation so it go put on the market and sold so I completely get that. And at the end of the day itís LOís property to do with it as he pleases just sucks when it works against you as the lessee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2022, 01:47 PM   #15
Ricochet83
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Supply and demand is the east answer, especially in the hill country. Also Iíve heard of outfitters going to landowners and offering top $. Didnít believe it but itís happening to us and the main group has been on the lease 26 years. Landowner got offered great money from an outfitter that is gonna run day hunts

Yeah I hear of this happening a lot. Seems like no matter how much you are willing to pay there is always someone willing to pay more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #16
PoppinPiggies
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Why its so hard to find a lease?
This is due to unrealistic expectations between either the prospective hunter, landowner, or both. It's not hard to find a lease, but it is hard to find a lease that will meet your expectations cost, distance, amenities, critter population ect.

Reasons why those expectations are off?
Everything listed by others, supply vs demand changing, networking necessity, land ownership changing, ect...
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 02:16 PM   #17
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Llano and South Texas

Very simple - demand for hunting lease land outweighs supply.
Reasons - urban development and decline in large cattle ranches mainly.
Land is either being bought up by developers or purchased for personal recreation. Less used for strictly agricultural purposes where it makes sense to lease to hunters for a little extra income. Props to the landowners that can put up with lease hunters. I couldn’t do it.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #18
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Liability
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #19
BRUTE 23
Four Point

I agree with the expectations of both parties has changed. Neither side knows how to make a deal mutually beneficial.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
BRUTE 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 07:51 PM   #20
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Good deer leases don’t need to advertise. The one I’m on has had a waiting list to get on for years, just from word of mouth from current members.

If a lease with big deer has to post an ad to fill members it’s usually for a reason.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 07:55 PM   #21
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states

Yep, basically it appears you have to know someone to find a lease when they have a spot open.

Or write letters, which is what I am doing. Luckily, I have some private family land to hunt and I am not afraid to hunt public as well to try and find a good buck. However, I am always looking for a good spot, whether it is in Texas or Kansas.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 07:55 PM   #22
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
With the amount of people from California and New York moving to central Texas the available hunting properties are getting few and far between. Top that with windmill, solar and oil the land owners do not need hunters to pay the taxes any more.
YES And don't forget the Floridians!!!
They have bought up over 10,000 acres around us out here in Brady and are still buying.. They now own land on 2 sides of us and are working on a 3rd.. They bought several big chunks of the FORD also..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #23
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Lots of people have bought land to hunt for themselves and their families. Almost all of the people I have hunted with in the past own their ranches and donít lease anymore.
That is what I did, own 3 places, they are not real big but they all have very good hunting, I wanted my kids to always have a place to go.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 08:21 PM   #24
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Lots of people have bought land to hunt for themselves and their families. Almost all of the people I have hunted with in the past own their ranches and donít lease anymore.
The lease game drove me to purchase as well
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 08:58 PM   #25
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Reasons - urban development and decline in large cattle ranches mainly.
Land is either being bought up by developers or purchased for personal recreation. Less used for strictly agricultural purposes where it makes sense to lease to hunters for a little extra income. Props to the landowners that can put up with lease hunters. I couldnít do it.
This I agree with. If I owned several hundred acres, I don't think I could lease it out to strangers.
However, I've been on my lease 13 years and the owner trust us to treat the ranch as if it were our own. It's been a good arrangement.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 08:58 PM   #26
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
YES And don't forget the Floridians!!!
They have bought up over 10,000 acres around us out here in Brady and are still buying.. They now own land on 2 sides of us and are working on a 3rd.. They bought several big chunks of the FORD also..
I thought the City of San Angelo bought the Ford, for water.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 08:59 PM   #27
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Here’s your answer
G R E E D!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #28
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy wonder View Post
I thought the City of San Angelo bought the Ford, for water.
They did, they own the water rights and then sold the ranch.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 09:49 PM   #29
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

By some land in the Ozarks or Oklahoma. Sure you gotta drive but plan your trip where you can stay a while. We bought one of our tracts cash then put half down on a contiguous tract. If I hadn’t went and gotten old I would have purchased land in one of the two states mentioned.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 10:50 PM   #30
Hunteraudit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Steve Rinella and Joe Rogan have a heavy hand in the demise of average man hunting.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 07:39 AM   #31
Sika
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunteraudit View Post
Steve Rinella and Joe Rogan have a heavy hand in the demise of average man hunting.
What? Lol
Old 11-24-2022, 07:53 AM   #32
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
By some land in the Ozarks or Oklahoma. Sure you gotta drive but plan your trip where you can stay a while. We bought one of our tracts cash then put half down on a contiguous tract. If I hadn’t went and gotten old I would have purchased land in one of the two states mentioned.
Been looking at the for a couple of years, 160ac ( which isnt much in the scheme of things ) is $400k and up. Hard for the average person to justify that even if they can swing it

And its 8+hrs which rules out weekend hunting
Old 11-24-2022, 08:26 AM   #33
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerendino View Post
I think it's hard because it's an invite only party. All the good ones, cheap or expensive, close or far, have someone on the lease. That someone finds the next members. It's not hard to fill. It's a 10 walking into a bar at 2 a.m kinda thing.

Open your network or contacts and let your friends know your looking, then remind them until you find something. Customer service or sales friends are great to remind as they interact and talk to a lot of people.

You can also package hunt and let the landowner or outfitter know you're looking. Sometimes they say screw guiding and switch to a lease structure.

My .02. Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Good deer leases donít need to advertise. The one Iím on has had a waiting list to get on for years, just from word of mouth from current members.

If a lease with big deer has to post an ad to fill members itís usually for a reason.
These exactly. If you have to advertise for spots and can't fill them from current membership or a couple phone calls...

This may be the first season I haven't been asked to get on place in the last 5 or 6 years.
Quote:
Expand?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 08:34 AM   #34
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerendino View Post
I think it's hard because it's an invite only party. All the good ones, cheap or expensive, close or far, have someone on the lease. That someone finds the next members. It's not hard to fill.
Lots of truth to this. A group is less likely to bring in ďoutsidersĒ they donít know.
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 08:39 AM   #35
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
The lease game drove me to purchase as well
Got any good deals on land coming up?
Old 11-24-2022, 08:43 AM   #36
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Good deer leases donít need to advertise. The one Iím on has had a waiting list to get on for years, just from word of mouth from current members.

If a lease with big deer has to post an ad to fill members itís usually for a reason.
This right here is one of the best answers. There is a reason there is also an "interview" process before being selected to join a leas now as well.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #37
CoolHandLuke
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:

Please explain as I believe there are many factors in play and itís not these 2! HaÖ

There have been some very valid points in this thread regarding the reason good leases are hard to find. We hav been on the same one for 30+ years and have a very good relationship with the LO. We take care of the property and help when needed. Weíve seen members on other leases trash a place and the land owners have many friends that own large ranches and hear horror stories of how crappy some hunters are.
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #38
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
By some land in the Ozarks or Oklahoma. Sure you gotta drive but plan your trip where you can stay a while. We bought one of our tracts cash then put half down on a contiguous tract. If I hadnít went and gotten old I would have purchased land in one of the two states mentioned.
Noooooo. Donít do to us what youíve done to yourselves
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #39
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Landowners getting tired of dealing with hunters and the issues they bring.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 10:21 AM   #40
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
This is the answer. And here's why I think the supply has dwindled.

Years ago there was still a good amount of ranchers who needed the income from hunting so they could afford to keep ranching. Ranching alone is not a very profitable business. Not like it was in the days of old. Now you need a good income to support a ranching habit.

Some very large ranches that were previously leased for hunting have been purchased by individuals that obviously don't need the money, headaches, or liability from leasing hunting rights. One example is a ranch that I know that was 100,000+ acres bought by an individual. It is hunted by family and friends. At one hunter per 500 acres that is 200 hunters that got thrown into the looking for a lease crowd. How many other ranches on a much smaller basis have had the same thing happen.

Recreational ranching is at a high point. People who can afford to buy property are doing so. Nothing like having your own place and not having to deal with hunting lease drama. People who can afford it buy more than they need for themselves. Thus displacing more hunters and adding them to the looking for a lease pool. If they do sell hunts its package hunts. With package hunts there are a set number of days dealing with "outside" hunters. Who wants to deal with lease hunters every time you go to your ranch for some peace and solitude? Not me.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 10:28 AM   #41
Sika
Pope & Young

Quote:
This is the answer. And here's why I think the supply has dwindled.

Years ago there was still a good amount of ranchers who needed the income from hunting so they could afford to keep ranching. Ranching alone is not a very profitable business. Not like it was in the days of old. Now you need a good income to support a ranching habit.

Some very large ranches that were previously leased for hunting have been purchased by individuals that obviously don't need the money, headaches, or liability from leasing hunting rights. One example is a ranch that I know that was 100,000+ acres bought by an individual. It is hunted by family and friends. At one hunter per 500 acres that is 200 hunters that got thrown into the looking for a lease crowd. How many other ranches on a much smaller basis have had the same thing happen.

Recreational ranching is at a high point. People who can afford to buy property are doing so. Nothing like having your own place and not having to deal with hunting lease drama. People who can afford it buy more than they need for themselves. Thus displacing more hunters and adding them to the looking for a lease pool. If they do sell hunts its package hunts. With package hunts there are a set number of days dealing with "outside" hunters. Who wants to deal with lease hunters every time you go to your ranch for some peace and solitude? Not me.
Explained it better than I could - thanks
Old 11-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #42
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

As said, a lot of the better places get filled up for within. On our place most members have 2 to 3 spots and are absorbed. We went from 30 spots to 15 and everyone has 2 spots.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #43
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

For starters it is way easier to find a spot for one than it is 3. I would look for yourself a spot and then If they have more openings worry about your friends
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #44
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

There are also a lot of land owners who have moved into the breeding game & selling of individual hunts vs year round...same folks who don't need the $$$$ but like the $$$$.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #45
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Population growth plus a heavy supply of cheap money/debt.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Best plan is to find a place for yourself and then maybe have a guest option to bring your buddy occasionally.

You may get on the tax website and start writing letters (handwritten only) to landowners. Include all your personal details and see if you get a bite.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 04:52 PM   #46
tvc184
Pope & Young

It’s been mentioned already but explanations aren’t required other than supply and demand.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #47
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
Got any good deals on land coming up?
Give me a call if you are on the hunt! Got several TBHers in the chute now and 90% of what I am moving is not on the open market
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 06:42 PM   #48
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Too many people and too few available properties. Population is growing and acreage available for hunting is dwindling quickly. Plain and simple. When supply is low and demand is high the select few get to partake. That means more money, and good references. Most of the good properties have people waiting to get on, and they are all people a lease member knows or is related to.
Iíll agree with this.

Also, I think lots of south texas was affected by oil and gas production which made leasing unnecessary for some landowners. Solar and wind are not going help the supply of leasable land. I see lots of outfitters on the outdoor channels who have land/hunting rights leases also.

In addition, people moving to the country (like me) and buying land with no intention of leasing. As a matter of fact, the poor souls who had leased my new property had been there 17 yrs.

Keep positive and in touch with all your hunting friends with leases.

Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 07:28 PM   #49
Jtrage
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County
Default Opinions on why its so hard to find leases

Last edited by Jtrage; 11-24-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 10:14 PM   #50
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
Give me a call if you are on the hunt! Got several TBHers in the chute now and 90% of what I am moving is not on the open market
If you start dealing in NE OK into NW Arkansas let me know. Like Sequoyah County, OK to Madison County, AR or thereabouts.

I like the hills......