Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #1
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville
Exclamation Midway processing back in business

Just got a text that all visas were cleared and their game processing is on. This psa is for those that use Midway.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #2
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Why were they off line?
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #3
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb

Couldn’t get documents for their foreign workers as I understand it.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
Couldnít get documents for their foreign workers as I understand it.
Yessir. I met a man that had been there for twenty years he come e wry deer season and leave after January and go back to Mexico. He was quite happy living in Mexico as well. Itís also a generational gig in that his son works there and now his grandson. All come and go lawfully.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #5
lilbradford
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Midway got a bad rep for not giving you your deer back. When I complained that my meat seemed a little light compared to what was dropped off, they showed me their operation and realized that it was my mistake based on the amount of meat dropped off. (My dad dropped a doe for me and didn’t tell me it was just straps and hind quarters. No neck, rib meat, front shoulders.

After seeing that they will continue to get my business.
lilbradford is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #6
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

I think I’ll pass.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #7
mdb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hallettsville,Yoakum,New Mexico

Which processor is this? We use one in Markham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mdb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #8
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I use Buesing processing in Westhoff and have never had any complaints.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 04:29 PM   #9
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
I use Buesing processing in Westhoff and have never had any complaints.

Agreed, they knock it out

bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #10
mdb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hallettsville,Yoakum,New Mexico

To be clear, we use B&S in Markham for basic processing. They debone and package. Do our own sausage and steaks.
In the past they did buck sticks and chorizo. Did great on each.

mdb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #11
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

I used Midway back in the day. I didn’t like the way they handled the meat; however, they have upped their game in the last twenty odd years. Last year I took deer there and they had a two tables laid out with all the samples of sausage they offered. They were dissed on here but they are killing it with business.
I had Reidfields in College Station make sausage for me and was not impressed at all. Plus they were fairly expensive.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #12
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

If you’re in that area, Jim Buchanan does an awesome job with his deer sausage at Doziers. He’s a talented guy that took over as GM and Pitmaster and has a great approach. He’s walked me through everything and you definitely get your deer meat back and he had a cool smoker contraption that when it gets to the right temp it does a cold bath to immediately stop the internal cooking process. The summer sausage is great too.

My place is closer toward Slovaceks and I still use them though they are too expensive!
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 06:41 PM   #13
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
If youíre in that area, Jim Buchanan does an awesome job with his deer sausage at Doziers. Heís a talented guy that took over as GM and Pitmaster and has a great approach. Heís walked me through everything and you definitely get your deer meat back and he had a cool smoker contraption that when it gets to the right temp it does a cold bath to immediately stop the internal cooking process. The summer sausage is great too.

My place is closer toward Slovaceks and I still use them though they are too expensive!

HmmmÖ. I live right by doziers. Iíll have to give them another try. I used Slovaceks once. Wasnít impressed with the service or product. Seemed way over hyped.

rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 07:05 PM   #14
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Plz let us know how Doziers turns out. My sister in law and her husband turned in two deer to Slovacek‘s and we’re shell shocked when they received a $600.00 bill for what they had done.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:46 PM   #15
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Tex

I would go to Belleville over Midway any day. Itís was good back in the day, but there are betting places to go.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2022, 10:29 PM   #16
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
HmmmÖ. I live right by doziers. Iíll have to give them another try. I used Slovaceks once. Wasnít impressed with the service or product. Seemed way over hyped.

Slovacek's hasn't.been the same since they became commercialized. When they were just the little processor in Snook they were awesome. My go to now is Arnold's in Hempstead. Bellville just priced me out. It's cheaper to go to the grocery store and get sausage.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 01:03 AM   #17
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
ÖÖ They were dissed on here but they are killing it with businessÖ...
All that means is that there are a TON of hunters that live in and around the area and bring their deer there not knowing they arenít getting their deer back or donít care. I grew up in Old Katy and had several buddies that worked at Midway processing in High School. The fact that there are still the same guys working there for 20+ years and the amount of business they get tells me they havenít changed their processing methods. I really liked Mr. Meyer and his grocery store, but the processing was never your deer. His sausage does taste really good too.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 05:00 AM   #18
aggieman08
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
Slovacek's hasn't.been the same since they became commercialized. When they were just the little processor in Snook they were awesome. My go to now is Arnold's in Hempstead. Bellville just priced me out. It's cheaper to go to the grocery store and get sausage.
Slovaceks wasn’t good even back in 2006. Synthetic casings, grocery store style sausage, they screwed up my order, and refused to take responsibility for it. Really don’t know how they’re in business then or now.
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 07:17 AM   #19
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
All that means is that there are a TON of hunters that live in and around the area and bring their deer there not knowing they arenít getting their deer back or donít care. I grew up in Old Katy and had several buddies that worked at Midway processing in High School. The fact that there are still the same guys working there for 20+ years and the amount of business they get tells me they havenít changed their processing methods. I really liked Mr. Meyer and his grocery store, but the processing was never your deer. His sausage does taste really good too.
Yessir. A ton of us getting fooled
Old 11-24-2022, 07:20 AM   #20
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Seems like it doesnít matter what processor is talked about, someone will have a complaint about them.

Roll your own I suppose?.....

Sierracharlie out....
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 09:12 AM   #21
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Iím amused at the number of people who think their trim for sausage/tamales/meatballs/whatever is their deer. Do you seriously think a large processor is going to cut and seperate your trim for your order of 1 dozen tamales, 2 pounds of meatballs, 1 pound of hot link and 4 pounds of summer sausage? You think theyíre going to stop to grind YOUR DEER for each one of those items? Imagine the time involved and then imagine how these same people gonna cry about the price. Seriously, go tour a large facility. I promise you, it ainít happening at any of them. I also promise you(at least at the extremely large processor i work for) the meat put into those products is cleaner than what you brought to them.

Custom cuts, I get that. If you donít get your own deer on those, take your business elsewhere.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 09:27 AM   #22
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Iím amused at the number of people who think their trim for sausage/tamales/meatballs/whatever is their deer. Do you seriously think a large processor is going to cut and seperate your trim for your order of 1 dozen tamales, 2 pounds of meatballs, 1 pound of hot link and 4 pounds of summer sausage? You think theyíre going to stop to grind YOUR DEER for each one of those items? Imagine the time involved and then imagine how these same people gonna cry about the price. Seriously, go tour a large facility. I promise you, it ainít happening at any of them. I also promise you(at least at the extremely large processor i work for) the meat put into those products is cleaner than what you brought to them.

Custom cuts, I get that. If you donít get your own deer on those, take your business elsewhere.
Boom!
FD I was literally just fixing to post a similar comment.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:40 AM   #23
jdg13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

Processors are all the same. You may get your deer, you may get a gutshot one thats been in the bed of a truck, but if you like the taste have at it. No different than anything store bought.
jdg13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #24
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Dammit man! Did you have to say gut shot laying in the back of a truck? You put a whole new spin on this! Lol!
Old 11-24-2022, 09:46 AM   #25
jdg13
Ten Point

Quote:
Dammit man! Did you have to say gut shot laying in the back of a truck? You put a whole new spin on this! Lol!
Beats the floor scraping oscar meyer dogs at heb
Old 11-24-2022, 09:52 AM   #26
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg13 View Post
Beats the floor scraping oscar meyer dogs at heb
Daaaang! Keep em coming!
Old 11-24-2022, 10:05 AM   #27
jdg13
Ten Point

Meh. Nothing against midway. Folks like them and they stay in business. Must be doing something right.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:06 AM   #28
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yep. He put a negative spin on it, which has become the standard for most here.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #29
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

Quote:

We had a guy on one lease who worked at a processor. He would bring the grinder tailings to the lease and cook it. I was great but confirms that any grind you get from a processor is never from your deer. Getting my meat back is important to me. I try to get my deer skinned and cooled as soon as possible. I think it makes a big difference in the quality of the meat.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #30
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

I do the same. But Dude is right. Anyone can tell you “yes you’ll get your own deer back”. But how do you know unless you literally follow it through the entire process. You can’t. I’ve never gotten sick eating what I got back and the taste is great. In my dream house I’d have a mud room that was also layed out with a stainless steel table for processing, grinding, sealing etc.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #31
jdg13
Ten Point

Quote:
Yep. He put a negative spin on it, which has become the standard for most here.
How's the air up there? FYI the gut shot thing was in jest. I've taken meat to the place in question and plenty of others.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:20 AM   #32
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg13 View Post
How's the air up there? FYI the gut shot thing was in jest.
Another typical standard comment.

Y’all have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #33
jdg13
Ten Point

Quote:
Another typical standard comment.

Yíall have a Happy Thanksgiving.
You too!