Towing in high winds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing in high winds.

How high does the wind have to be before you won't tow your camper? Last week when that big front came through we went up to Lake ivie and about 3/4 of the way up there a gust caught me and pretty much sent us to both ditches and we were lucky the camper didn't come off and we didn't roll. I'm guessing winds were 15 to 25 but may have got a gust about 35. I probably will not tow that camper again if the winds above 20.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

when i tow in high or gusty winds, I just try to remain about about 5 below the speed limit to be safe. going fast will turn out bad for you every time when towing in high winds.

Comment

I dont like towing in anything over 12mph. I was supposed to grab trailer yesterday, but winds were 15 +, so I postponed until today when they are only 6mph. It can get hairy when it starts moving left and right..

Comment

Everyone has their limits. I lived in N. Colorado for 15 years and towed 5th wheel campers through Wyoming all the time. It is always windy in Wyoming, scary windy at times and the pucker factor is there for sure. I'd try to get behind a big rig but sometimes they looked like they were ready to tip over so that was not real comforting either. lol
        Biggest thing is know your limits and don't "white knuckle" the steering wheel, getting too tense causes over reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
          Everyone has their limits. I lived in N. Colorado for 15 years and towed 5th wheel campers through Wyoming all the time. It is always windy in Wyoming, scary windy at times and the pucker factor is there for sure. I'd try to get behind a big rig but sometimes they looked like they were ready to tip over so that was not real comforting either. lol
          Biggest thing is know your limits and don't "white knuckle" the steering wheel, getting too tense causes over reaction.
          This also having a big enough truck for the job helps a lot. If your trying to pull one with a barely big enough 1/2 ton then you are gonna see problems.

Comment

Saw a roll over in W. Texas. Nothing left of the camper and a body bag on the road. Be careful folks................

Comment

So with my half ton, I would be under the speed limit in heavy winds, minimum, in some cases, 20 mph. Half tons just don't have the weight to tow trailers with big side profiles.

In my 3/4 ton, it gained about 1.5 tons over my half ton. And now there isn't a wind I won't tow in. But I will slow down if necessary. Just need to know your limits.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                This also having a big enough truck for the job helps a lot. If your trying to pull one with a barely big enough 1/2 ton then you are gonna see problems.
                I think this played into what happened. I'm towing a Jayco 23b. It's well under the tow limit for my 1500 Dodge with a 5.7 but I really think I need to move up my tow vehicle for gas mileage and safety

Comment

Weight of the tow vehicle really makes a difference to avoid the tail wagging the dog feeling, and also helps to remove the need to react to movement. When towing I always tried to pack the heavy stuff in the truck as well, to keep the load of the trailer as light as possible.

Comment

Out here trailers are a touchy subject, mainly see wrecked rv’s around hill cut through’s where wind is amplified, speed limits are 80mph , I slow things down to about 60-65 on windy days.
                    I have seen semi tractor trailers blown over on windy days, and hundreds of UHauls flipped over by the wind

Forgot the touchy part is , some vehicles are just plain over loaded, mini van or Tacoma with a uhaul or small rv , F250 super duty hooked to a 35-40 RV or toy hauler
                    Gotta know your limitations, no assumptions
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-08-2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      Years ago, I was driving 25,000 lb 40ft diesel pusher through that area and the wind would completely move you over to another lane. I had the pucker factor going on for many miles

Comment

We have all kinds of wind up here, especially in the winter and I have seen so many high profile vehicles blown over.
                        We have a stretch down south of me around Wheatland, WY that is famous for blow overs. Our Wy Dept of Transportation does a great job of posting wind warnings but I am always amazed at how people ignore it end up turned over in the ditch.
                        A lot of times they will close the highways to high profile vehicles.
                        If you have ever seen an RV that gets blown over at highway speeds it would remind you of a huge box of toothpicks being dumped out on the ground.
                        I have a slide in truck camper so it does not effect me as much but if the wind gets over sustained 30-35 mph, I am not pulling anything. And remember, it is usually the big wind gusts that will get you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I dont like towing mine when its over 15. I have a 3/4 ton and it still pushes me around.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
                            I think this played into what happened. I'm towing a Jayco 23b. It's well under the tow limit for my 1500 Dodge with a 5.7 but I really think I need to move up my tow vehicle for gas mileage and safety

Not to mention if you don't have a load dist hitch. That makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              Not to mention if you don't have a load dist hitch. That makes a big difference.
                              That I do have. Ive got the 10k equalizer hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X