6.0 Excursion Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.0 Excursion Questions

Still trying to figure out what I am doing, friend came across a deal on a 2005 6.0 Excursion. 196k on the clock, bulletproofed and tuned. Looks clean.

I am leary of the mileage, but keep getting told these will be much more solid and get better mpg than a 5.3 chevy suburban or tahoe platform.

I am a single dad now, a HS coach, have 3 kids, two Labradors, and hunt and fish with kids as much as possible. So need 3 rows and 4x4. Not ready to pull trigger yet but buddy has this and would work with me.

Would y'all trust something like this as a DD? Need at least a few years of solid reliability to get my finances straightened out and figure out what my long term plan will be.

Any other suggestions? Budget capped around 12k I think.

I had one and loved it but it's a big gamble.

You could get a 5.3 (or really search and get a 3/4ton 6.0 gas) suburban and have much less at stake monetarily. They are good solid rigs and the 06 and older versions hold up great.

*Edit: 07 and newer is fine but I feel like the older ones held up better. We've owned a few of each vintage.

Also, anything that involves a 6.0 and getting finances straight is crazy talk.
    Last edited by TreyRo; 12-30-2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post

You could get a 5.3 (or really search and get a 3/4ton 6.0 gas) suburban and have much less at stake monetarily. They are good solid rigs and the 06 and older versions hold up great.

*Edit: 07 and newer is fine but I feel like the older ones held up better. We've owned a few of each vintage.

I had a 2005 Tahoe lifted that I still regret selling, had a 2007 Lifted Suburban that had some gremlins. Would be looking at 2008-12 Tahoe, Burb, Yukons I think.

6.0 really that much of a gamble for a daily?

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
        I had a 2005 Tahoe lifted that I still regret selling, had a 2007 Lifted Suburban that had some gremlins. Would be looking at 2008-12 Tahoe, Burb, Yukons I think.

6.0 really that much of a gamble for a daily?
        Yes...

At this point it's a 13-15 year old motor that was a liability from the start. Some lasted forever, most did not. I owned two 6.0s and liked them both but didn't own either long enough to have a failure and certainly wouldn't own one in a financial pinch.

Comment

I’ve owned 4 6.0s, own 2 now and one is bulletproofed. The one that I’ve got bulletproofed has 203,000 miles and runs great, the other 3 couldn’t keep them out of the shop because of same old problems from not being bulletproofed. I spent 12,000 bucks to bulletproof my work truck and don’t regret it. A bulletproof excursion will get 22mpg on highway. Ask what has all been done to truck, some say it’s been bulletproofed and spent 5,000 bucks, that’s not bulletproofed.

Comment

We sold ours and regret it, I never had any problems with the 6.0 as we didn’t mess with the tune or try to choke more power out of it, it’s still chugging away with the present owner

Comment

Nope to a 6.0 diesel and 07-13 LS 5.3s have major issues with deactivation. I’d personally look to buy a 5.7 sequoia.

Comment

Anything you buy that old or with that many miles will be a risk. Our 6.0 has 285k miles on it. Its had work to make it last longer. As for as the 5.3 the active fuel management system will cause issues if the oil isn't changed on time every time. I own a shop and change mine every 3k miles, its like insurance pay a little at a time to avoid major problems. The 6.0 gas is a good motor, just uses a lot of fuel. Best advice I have is do your home work, find a shop you can trust and have them check it out before you buy it. Good luck, if you have any questions PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  Nope to a 6.0 diesel and 07-13 LS 5.3s have major issues with deactivation. I’d personally look to buy a 5.7 sequoia.
                  Currently have a 12 sequoia I like, but not 4x4, and a 2016 4runner. Which I absolutely love and planned to drive until the wheels fall off.

No way I can afford to keep the 4runner even if I refi it with my other bills now. Which pains me. Unless I found a unicorn house for like 650$ a month which doesn't exist thanks to stupid magnolia.

Really tried to find a 4x4 sequoia. But under 20k is seemingly impossible.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Any used vehicle is a gamble. Knowing the history is a big plus.
                    I bought my 2005 6.0 Excursion from my previous boss and it has been a great truck. I wouldn't touch a 6.0 off a used car lot.
                    They get a bad rap but there are tons of them still on the road and everyone knows what needs to be done to them to make them last by now.

I've had Suburbans and GM trucks too. I like the Excursion best for a full sized SUV.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post

I've had several great GM trucks, but I wouldn't touch a GM after they became Government Motors. There is a definite decline in quality.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                        I've had several great GM trucks, but I wouldn't touch a GM after they became Government Motors. There is a definite decline in quality.
                        I won't debate the Decline in quality. Between the wife and I we've have 2x 11's, 1x 16', 1x 15' all GM half-tons. None of them felt nearly as well built as our older ones. I'm in a Ford Currently.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnG View Post
                          Anything you buy that old or with that many miles will be a risk. Our 6.0 has 285k miles on it. Its had work to make it last longer. As for as the 5.3 the active fuel management system will cause issues if the oil isn't changed on time every time. I own a shop and change mine every 3k miles, its like insurance pay a little at a time to avoid major problems. The 6.0 gas is a good motor, just uses a lot of fuel. Best advice I have is do your home work, find a shop you can trust and have them check it out before you buy it. Good luck, if you have any questions PM me.
                          Yes, I've owned a few 5.3s. Deactivate AFM, and GM top engine cleaner service at 100k ish makes a big difference, as well as full synthetic and on time oil changes as mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                            I spent 12,000 bucks to bulletproof my work truck and don’t regret it.
                            For 12k I would have put a Cummins in it.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                              For 12k I would have put a Cummins in it.
                              +1

Have a buddy with a 12v in an excursion and it's sweeeet.

Comment

Working...
                              X