Blind heater ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blind heater ?

Anyone have a issue with the deer hearing or smelling a heater ? I have an old school propane heater not a fancy mr buddy .

i finally broke down and got a mr buddy. i'm officially old now i think. I think mine see the glow more than anything in the glass windows

Comment

I run the mr. buddy heater in the bow blind all the time and never had the first problem with deer hearing to smelling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

while the gas is burning they will not smell it,,, years ago before the "heaters" were available we would take a coffee can put a roll of toilet tissue in it and fill it nearly full of rubbing alcohol then light it,, only the fumes burn and to put it out i simply put my foot on it and it would go out in about 1 or 2 seconds because of no oxygen,, then put the plastic lid on it..... they could straight up smell the alcohol a good ways off if you did not put the lid on pretty quick

Comment

I run an ole’ skewl as well. I bought a Buddy, but, they just ran too hot for me and were insanely expensive (compared to what I already had that worked well). I sold it shortly after I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
            while the gas is burning they will not smell it,,, years ago before the "heaters" were available we would take a coffee can put a roll of toilet tissue in it and fill it nearly full of rubbing alcohol then light it,, only the fumes burn and to put it out i simply put my foot on it and it would go out in about 1 or 2 seconds because of no oxygen,, then put the plastic lid on it..... they could straight up smell the alcohol a good ways off if you did not put the lid on pretty quick

Many a pair of coveralls were melted on those toilet paper heaters.

Comment

Never did it while bow hunting, but when I was a kid hunting the family lease in Arkansas, we had a roll of TP in a coffee can, soaked with kerosene. Worked well in those old 4x4 tower blinds. That being said, I use an older style propane heater these days, and haven’t had any issues.

Comment

I use a Mr. Buddy heater in my bow blind. Warm air rises so I think it helps some with scent control outside my shooting window . Seems to anyway. Never had them flare with the noise or smell while running. Get you a stick lighter so its quieter to light than the built in striker.. Plus it helps to heat the thermocouple when it and the gas gets cold. Just keep the stick lighter lit and warm everything up to help keep it started.

Comment

Ran a Mr Buddy in my Double Bull the last couple of nights and had bucks and Does 20 yards away with no issues.

Comment

My wife has a sweet Mr. Buddy in her blind but I've got an old Coleman propane heater I've had forever. I've been more worried about them hearing the "hiss" than I am of them smelling it.

Comment

I run a Mr. Buddy never had an issue with them smelling the gas. But like someone mentioned I do think they see the glow through the windows

Comment

You may get more smell off of N old school propane heater but I don’t think it’s gonna spook them. They have to associate the smell with danger in order to spook. They may be a little more on edge but probably not enough to matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Had a great uncle that always complained he never saw deer at his blind. I would set there and see tons of um. One day when he was hunting I snuck over the hill behind him figuring he was just falling asleep and I would see deer at his feeder. Nope, from 100+ yards off I could hear his old propane heater roaring. He was so hard of hearing that he didn't realize it was making that much noise.

Comment

We run buddy heater as well, no issues.

Comment

never an issue. Make sure you have adequate ventilation.

Comment

Working...
                              X