Cottonseed vs. Alfalfa - chose one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed vs. Alfalfa - chose one

Compare these two protein sources for deer side by side. If your deer would eat all that you put out of either which would you pick and why?

Which is the better source of nutrition for overall health and antlers.

If protein pellets weren’t an option and these were your only two supplemental food sources to pick from and you had to only chose one, which would it be?

Go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cottonseed. Better fat and protein % and doesn't go to hell in the rain

Comment

Cottonseed. However I feed both.

Comment

Cottonseed....get more bang for your buck for what you buy and its impervious to rain. Plus they don't finish a bale in a week.

I used alfalfa more for an attractant than a supplement

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          Cottonseed. Better fat and protein % and doesn't go to hell in the rain
          This

Comment

I'm gonna try cottonseed this coming year. I put alfalfa this past year and nothing touched it.

Comment

Cotton seed by far

Comment

Cottonseed no waste. Rain doesn’t hurt it. Cottonseed 23% protein, 20% fat content.

Comment

Cotton seed till end of March then change over to alfalfa. There is a chemical in cotton seed that does inhibit some of the antler growth. But if you stop feeding it before they start growing then it should be good. Get all of the benefits of the protein and fat in the cotton seed with out any of the problems.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                    Cotton seed till end of March then change over to alfalfa. There is a chemical in cotton seed that does inhibit some of the antler growth. But if you stop feeding it before they start growing then it should be good. Get all of the benefits of the protein and fat in the cotton seed with out any of the problems.
                    This is the first I hear of this. What’s your source on this? I’m interested now. Been feeding for over 15 years now.

Comment

There is a chemical in cotton seed that does inhibit some of the antler growth. .

what?

Comment

Never heard of this however I have heard it can make bucks sterile for a short period of time.

Comment

I have seen studies similar to this but l looks like it dissipates quickly when you stop feeding it.

OVERTON  A study by Texas A&M researchers has shown that whole cottonseed has severe detrimental effects on male red deer, diminishing antler development by as much as 50 percent. The red deer study showed similar results to a study done last year on male fallow deer. The culprit is gossypol, a toxic element that naturally... Read More →

Comment

You are probably confusing antler growth erroneously with semen production. Lots of reports on the subject of sterility in bucks....basically if only source of nutrition is CS. That’s why most stop feeding it after horns harden and “other things” start to harden ��

But as for inhibiting antler growth? I don’t think so.

Comment

You think they really care?

Comment

Working...
                              X