Son’s first Bow animal/Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son’s first Bow animal/Buck

Little late posting this but my 12 year old son, Jake, shot this buck a few weeks ago. This is his first year bow hunting and is his first animal. This was our third weekend to go bow hunting and he was adamant about getting a deer with his bow even in gun season.

He was hunting in a tree stand at a one of our feeders and I was sitting in a ground blind about 100 yards away with my younger son. I could see the feeder while hunting. The buck jumped in the feed pen and he was 15 yards away. I expected it to take a little bit longer for him to shoot but he wasted no time taking a shot. While I was watching the buck through my binoculars, I see the shot and could tell it was back. My son said he could see blood squirting out while he was running, so I thought that was a good sign. We waited 2 hours before taking up the trail.

It didn’t take long to find blood, and we found half of the arrow broken off covered in blood. We probably trailed the deer for 150 yards or so and we lost the trail. We have a 2 yr old beagle named Charli and I called my wife to bring her out and give it a shot. She has no training whatsoever but was worth a shot. Once we had the dog, I started her out at first blood and let her lead. Surprisingly, she did a good job keeping on the trail and got to the area where we couldn’t find more blood. At that point, we just let her take the lead and about 10 minutes later, Charli started going nuts and trying to take off and pulling us. Right after that, we found more blood about 100 yards from where we lost last blood. We let her lead us for about 150 yards more and everywhere she lead us we found more blood. I noticed the blood was wet now and knew the deer was still alive. I decided to back out and wait about 4 hours and come back.

Around 4 in the afternoon, we took the trail up again at the last blood spotted and let Charli take the trail. Again, everywhere she lead us, we would find more blood about every 15-20 yards or so. After about 100 more yards or so and back tracking several times, Charli got on a hit trail and was pulling on our leash going nuts. We let her lead and ran with her while she was hot on the trail. We got into a small opening and appeared to lose the track. We had probably been trailing this deer the second time for over an hour and was worried about her getting dehydrated and was about to head back to get more water for her. So I started heading back that way and she caught his scent again and was going crazy. About 50 yards later, she lead us 5 yards from the buck laying underneath a cedar tree. I had a gun and shot the buck and that was it. Unfortunately, he hit the deer in the guts but Jake learned a lot. A **** good deer for his first archery buck. Proud of him, worked hard shooting a lot and wanting to stick it out with his bow. Of course, I can’t say enough about our dog , Charli, as well. Hope it wasn’t a fluke!
    Attached Files

That’s a great deer! Valuable lesson for him to learn early. Great job Charli!

Comment

Congrats to the Young Man on a Great buck!

Comment

Congrats on his first buck.

Comment

What a story, love it. Congrats to y'all.

Comment

Great first bow buck. Congratulations to Jake! What a proud moment for him.

Comment

Awesome Congrats to the young man !!!!

Comment

Man what a great 1st buck

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Great deer for this young man.
                    Congrats

Comment

Congrats.....

Comment

Congrats!!! Great deer and super valuable lesson. I bet he thinks about it more next time and maybe takes a bit more time before the shot!! And super cool on the dog!!

Comment

Nice deer, Congrats!

Comment

Heck of a deer and story congrats!!!!

Comment

Great buck, and great recovery! Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X