Garner State Park Axis Hunt 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garner State Park Axis Hunt 2020

So I have been applying for this hunt for the past 6 years and had no luck. So this year as I signed up and I also decided to signup my fiance as well. So With me have more preference points I thought it was a great idea to sign us up separately since she didn't have any points. Well...this idea bit me in the ***. She drew for the hunt on her first time applying. She has hunted her entire life but she has always been with her dad and here recently (past 2 years) with me. She has never hunted by herself before and has never hunted axis before either. I have hunted axis once and didn't any luck. I have always been a bowhunter and was raised to be absolutely quiet and still. She grew up in a rifle blind where you can get away with some movement and sound. There has been a few times she has cleared out the feeder by repositioning herself in the chair and blaming the deer running off as they were done eating LOL. I see its been a very hard hunt due to no one really seeing animals, so hopefully we can have one that will present a shot for her. If there is any advise on what we should expect on this hunt it would be greatly appreciated. She drew for the early January rifle hunt

Go with her and try to get a stand by spot.

Unless they have changed it, the Garner hunt is the most elementary hunt Ive been on. I get the hunt has to be safe but they were 2 steps from tying your rifle to the window when I went. We didn't have any issues getting axis (does) that year but it was also like 20 degrees every morning

Comment

What QB said. We went on the youth hunt there in '17. On the first hunt, there were a total of 2 axis seen anywhere by any of the hunters. We didn't bother going back for the next day. The hunt is an inconvenience to the park staff, and they aren't making any money at it.

Comment

I killed an Axis at Garner. Easy hunt. Picked up, dropped off. Everything runs like clockwork. Minimalist blinds (goat wire and camo mesh) and you can take your own corn. For a first time solo sit, this one may be a good one for her.

Comment

Went on that hunt with my daughter in 17. Not a hair was seen by anyone during our time there.

Comment

Recent years hasn't produced much success out there. Good luck.

Comment

I was lucky enough to be drawn twice, and lucky enough to get Axis does on both hunts. Both were shot after lunch; the first at about 3pm and the second at the end of the day. It's been about 10 years. They had nice pop up blinds both years I went. Sad to hear the heard has dispersed.

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                Went on that hunt with my daughter in 17. Not a hair was seen by anyone during our time there.
                Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Recent years hasn't produced much success out there. Good luck.
                I had forgotten about this. I saw the article when it came out and was mentioned in Tx fish and game. I wrote the editor of TF&G and TPWD that year.

You say you have too many axis but I know of 3 guys who were turned down standby two hunts in a row that year. I know there is plenty of people who would love to pay money to hunt the park yet the park essentially lost money by paying someone else to hunt the axis.....

Several hundred undesirable visitors to Garner State Park have been abusing this treasured Hill Country destination, leaving park officials with little choice but to take strong measures to remedy …

Comment

Ever since they started reducing the axis numbers themselves the hunt quality has gone down tremulously.

That being said its a Draw hunt in a new place so make the most of it! Never know what might happen.

Comment

She'll be fine. They drop her off and pick her up for each hunt, and they will load the animals for her if she shoots something. She'll be in a popup blind with a limited area to shoot (pretty much straight out in front of the blind), so tell her to just zip up the side windows to minimize the risk of movement spooking animals. Forget all the other folks pizzing and moaning, this will be a good hunt for her to start out on. Tell her to have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Go with her and try to get a stand by spot.

Unless they have changed it, the Garner hunt is the most elementary hunt Ive been on. I get the hunt has to be safe but they were 2 steps from tying your rifle to the window when I went. We didn't have any issues getting axis (does) that year but it was also like 20 degrees every morning

Well at least you had some luck, sounds like most don't

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                        What QB said. We went on the youth hunt there in '17. On the first hunt, there were a total of 2 axis seen anywhere by any of the hunters. We didn't bother going back for the next day. The hunt is an inconvenience to the park staff, and they aren't making any money at it.
                        I guess that surprises me that they don't care or that they don't make money. I run through there every week for work and I see axis pretty close the the entrance almost every time. I am sure by the time you get people in the moving around and shooting it turns them away

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                          I killed an Axis at Garner. Easy hunt. Picked up, dropped off. Everything runs like clockwork. Minimalist blinds (goat wire and camo mesh) and you can take your own corn. For a first time solo sit, this one may be a good one for her.
                          Good to hear. I told her the most important thing is to stay awake LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                            She'll be fine. They drop her off and pick her up for each hunt, and they will load the animals for her if she shoots something. She'll be in a popup blind with a limited area to shoot (pretty much straight out in front of the blind), so tell her to just zip up the side windows to minimize the risk of movement spooking animals. Forget all the other folks pizzing and moaning, this will be a good hunt for her to start out on. Tell her to have fun.
                            So do they drop you off in the morning and pick you up in the evening, like an all day hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                              Ever since they started reducing the axis numbers themselves the hunt quality has gone down tremulously.

That being said its a Draw hunt in a new place so make the most of it! Never know what might happen.
                              Keep a positive mindset, I like it. They call it hunting for a reason. She has been spoiled and has never had a sit where she didn't see animals. It should been a good example of how some hunts can go

Comment

Working...
                              X