Walmart Stance on Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walmart Stance on Guns

This was in the Walmart earnings release yesterday. Comments directly from Doug McMillon: President & CEO, Walmart Inc.

Full script can be found here: https://corporate.walmart.com/media-...f-f37efbfa0000

I've pulled out the interesting section on gun sales and when he decides to go into gun control and assault weapons ban. Considering how bad this site slayed D ick's Sporting Goods, suprised Walmart hasn't been on the discussion card.

As we’ve shared previously, we will strive to use these experiences to
    identify additional actions we can take to strengthen our processes,
    improve our technology and create an even safer environment in our
    stores. We’re also thinking through the broader issues related to gun
    violence and things we should do to help create safer communities. We
    would like for everyone to be reminded of the steps we’ve already taken:
    • We stopped selling handguns in every state but Alaska in the mid90s.
    • We stopped selling military-style rifles such as the AR-15 in 2015.
    • We raised the age limit to purchase a firearm or ammunition to 21 in
    • Walmart only sells a firearm after receiving a “green light” on a
    background check, while federal law only requires the absence of a
    “red light” after three business days. We don’t sell a firearm until we
    receive a “green light” regardless of the time period.
    • We videotape the point of sale for firearms, only allow certain
    associates to sell firearms, and secure firearms in a locking case with
    individual locks, among other measures.
    We’ve attempted to take common sense steps that allow us to serve
    customers and create a safer environment. We estimate that we represent
    about 2 percent of the market for firearms today, which we believe places
    us outside at least the top three sellers in the industry. We estimate we
    have about a 20 percent share of ammunition.
    In the national conversation around gun safety, we’re encouraged
    that broad support is emerging to strengthen background checks and to
    remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an
    imminent danger. We do not sell military-style rifles, and we believe the
    reauthorization of the Assault Weapons ban should be debated to
    determine its effectiveness in keeping weapons made for war out of the
    hands of mass murderers. We must also do more to understand the root
    causes that lead to this type of violent behavior.

So stupid...

Comment

Whatever. I don't shop there anyways as it just feels dirty. I did read somewhere, though, that they would continue to sell firearms but would not have certain guns shelved on display. Same for violent video games. They'll sell them upon request but wont display them. Not sure how truth there is to that...

Comment

Good luck finding an associate to wait on you in Wally World. I hate that place.

Comment

In rural parts of America (i.e. more than an hour from a Small City), Walmart is likely the only place to go for Hunting Gear. It amazes me the difference in what is carried in those stores vs what I see in Houston.

I don't like their stance at all. "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" means a lot to me, however, If I am out in God's Country, I will use them. I don't support the ones in the cities. Way too much selective selling on their part.

Example: Newport, Ar Walmart has ladder stands, pop up blinds, decoys, calls, etc. The hunting department there is 3 long aisles, meanwhile the closest one to me in Houston has less than 1/2 of a short aisle devoted to hunting gear.

Comment

Walmart is a store of last resort. I almost refuse to set foot in there unless I have no choice. Sam Walton would roll over in his grace if he knew what his family has become.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
              Walmart is a store of last resort. I almost refuse to set foot in there unless I have no choice. Sam Walton would roll over in his grace if he knew what his family has become.
              This!

Comment

Originally posted by harv418 View Post
                In rural parts of America (i.e. more than an hour from a Small City), Walmart is likely the only place to go for Hunting Gear. It amazes me the difference in what is carried in those stores vs what I see in Houston.
                Very good point. Born/raised in Skidmore, TX so i can relate to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
                  same here I only stop there when I'm out in the deer woods and its the only place around but just like harv418 said the ones out there are filled with gear compared to the city stores

Comment

Yes. I avoid store or use only at last resort.

Comment

I don't go there unless I absolutely have to

Comment

Originally posted by harv418 View Post

I don't like their stance at all. "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" means a lot to me, however, If I am out in God's Country, I will use them. I don't support the ones in the cities. Way too much selective selling on their part.

Example: Newport, Ar Walmart has ladder stands, pop up blinds, decoys, calls, etc. The hunting department there is 3 long aisles, meanwhile the closest one to me in Houston has less than 1/2 of a short aisle devoted to hunting gear.
                        All stores sell to the market. Heck you can buy guns and ammo at the Ace hardware in Fredericksburg, and as that market changes perhaps wine making equipment will be next!

Comment

This statement is just a feel good measure for sure. They did not change any policies. For me, Walmart and Academy are no go zones to purchase firearms. In a pinch I will by camo and ammo from Academy but that is about it.

Comment

There is no reason to buy a gun from Wal Mart, we should all be supporting our local gunshops if possible.

Comment

who cares?

Comment

Working...
                              X