Propane hook up at home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propane hook up at home?

Building a custom home and trying to decide if we should bury a propane tank to use for heating, cooking, water heating, etc.

Who all here uses propane at your home? What’s it cost? How big of tank do you use? How often do you fill it up?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run propane for stove, heat, water heaters & back up generator.

I never heard of burying the tank though

Comment

We built a new house in 2018 and went propane on the following- 48” propane range, (2) propane furnaces, (2) propane 50 gallon water heaters. My gas bill averaged out for the whole year is about $175 per month. Last time they filled the tank was beginning of April and they won’t come fill it again till the beginning of October. My family has been happy with going propane on most everything in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        We run propane for stove, heat, water heaters & back up generator.

I never heard of burying the tank though

Our neighborhood requires us to bury the tank I believe.

Comment

We use propane for the stove and oven. Gas is the only way to go for cooking! Our 250-gal tank sits on the ground and the yearly tank rental is something like $55/yr. We cook a lot and 100 gallons propane lasts a looooong time.

Comment

We use propane for cooking, water heater, and space heater. Very handy if the power goes out.
            We have a 500 gallon tank that lasts a year or more. Costs varies from under $2 to 3 per gallon.

Comment

We use propane, 500 gallon tank above ground, but do have a old Butane tank buried in the yard, in winter we use a lot of gas , but none from April-October
              Ours has a communication system on it to tell gas company to Come and refill

Costs is about $1800-$2200 per year In a drafty older home
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-26-2020, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Propane rocks.

Burying a tank is not uncommon. And its not that hard to do yourself. Be aware of your soil. A sacrificial anode is a good idea.

Comment

We have propane for water heater, furnace and if I had my choice I would have been all electric.

My old house had natural gas and it was awesome. I personally do not care for propane.

Comment

We have a w50 gallon propane tank buried. Propane comes by quarterly and fills as needed and bills us. We only use for stove and hot water. Since December they filled once last week and it took 100 gallons. Will add standby generator to it next year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have propane for the gas grill, cook top, water heater, clothes dryer and furnace. Cost is about $500 a year. Probably 60-70% of that in the winter. 250 gallon tank above ground.

Comment

We are in SE Iowa. We have a 500 gallon tank. We have a tankless water heater, kitchen range, a Carrier two stage furnace, and a 100,000 BTU shop heater. We got a $500.00 rebate from Iowa Propane Association last year for installing a new tankless water heater and a new furnace which was nice.

We just bought our pre paid contract for the year. We bought 1000 gallons at $1.19 a gallon. That price is good until we use the 1000 gallons. That should last us thru next summer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Propane here there is no way I would have an electric oven.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            We have propane for water heater, furnace and if I had my choice I would have been all electric.

My old house had natural gas and it was awesome. I personally do not care for propane.

Why don't you like propane as much as natural gas? I couldn't tell the difference

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              Why don't you like propane as much as natural gas? I couldn't tell the difference

Natural gas was a lot cheaper and more efficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X