Liver Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
    Sauté onions then set then aside, batter the liver like you would a chicken fried steak and then fry when it’s a light golden brown remove from the grease and in another skillet make a big batch of gravy and add the onions and chicken fried liver all together and simmer. This is meal is a favorite at deer camp.
    Word to ya motha.....

Exactly how I do it. One of my favorite meals. I prefer calf liver.

Comment

I am not a fan of eating liver but the health benefits from liver (specifically grass fed beef liver) is mind blowing. For anyone that wants the benefits from liver without eating it, they make a great pill supplement.

Ancestral Supplements Grass Fed Beef Liver (Desiccated) — Natural Iron, Vitamin A, B12 for Energy (180 Capsules) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSBZYQW...K04W7381HXYQ8Y

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
        You blend the liver with all the other contents?
        Yes sir, it’s a pate so it all gets emulsified together. Similar to liver wurst.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
          Yes sir, it’s a pate so it all gets emulsified together. Similar to liver wurst.
          Thanks. That’s what it sounded like.

Pate’ is a different animal than eating regular liver. It’s like having liver in Boudin.

I like braunschweiger sausage (commonly called goose liver, which it isn’t) because it’s blended up enough that it doesn’t taste like eating a chunk of liver.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
            Thanks. That’s what it sounded like.

Pate’ is a different animal than eating regular liver. It’s like having liver in Boudin.

I like braunschweiger sausage (commonly called goose liver, which it isn’t) because it’s blended up enough that it doesn’t taste like eating a chunk of liver.
            I stand corrected on my stance with liver. I will not eat it in the Liver & Onions way, but I do likes me some Braunschweiger and Liverwurst.

Comment

I love liver. As a kid, I guess I was the weird one cause I love fried chicken livers with honey on them. Still do. Chicken E has the best ones that I have found if I don't cook them myself. I keep the deer livers now and fry them up as well. Wife loves them also.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                It depends on the liver for me. I like chicken livers. Calf liver is good if prepared properly. Bison liver is the best. Deer liver is just too strong for me, can’t handle it.

This is by far the best way I’ve found to eat liver, bar none. I made this with bison liver but I’m sure it would be just fine with calf liver too.

Bison Pate

•. Milk
                • 1 small onion, minced
                • 8 medium mushrooms chopped
                • 4 cloves garlic, minced
                • 1 pound bison liver
                • 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
                • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
                •. 1 cup coconut oil or duck fat, melted
                •. 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
                • ½ teaspoon sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS
                1. Cube liver and cover with milk. Refrigerate for a minimum of two hours.
                2. Split the fat and put half in frying pan. Add the onion and mushrooms, and cook until soft on medium-high. Add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the liver, sprinkling with the herbs. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until just pink in the center. Add balsamic vinegar and reduce liquid.
                3. Turn off heat, and place contents into a blender or food processor with the coconut oil and sea salt. Process until it forms a thick paste, adding more coconut oil if too thick.
                4. Garnish with some fresh herbs and serve with crackers, toasted bread or vegetable sticks.
                Cautionary note. If the Rosemary is fresh out of the garden then cut the amount in half and adjust to taste. Greasy out of the garden it is very strong.
                This is the most intriguing recipe for liver I have ever seen (and I hate liver), but why the coconut oil? Why not just use all duck fat? Seems to me the coconut oil would impart a waxy texture and slightly tropical flavor that one might find off putting. Don’t use it enough to know, though.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  Great idea!

Anyone know of a good place around Houston for Liver and Onions?? So I don’t screw up the cooking process….

Chicken Express… liver dipped in gravy with some serendipity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love liver. The taste isn't strong or rank. The texture is different than steak. That and the thought of it being an organ is probably what puts some people off more than the flavor. It tastes really good though. Sliced thin and seared in bacon grease or butter and served with sautéed onions......YUM! Battered and fried is good too. Chicken liver, to me, has a stronger flavor than beef liver. But I still like it.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use my mom's recipe for liver and onions.

Slice and soak the liver for 1 - 24 hours in milk. The longer, the better. It tenderizes it.
                        Fry up bacon.
                        In the bacon grease, sauté the sliced onion.

Take the sliced liver dredge it in a mixture of flour and black pepper. Lay carefully into hot bacon grease. Cook 3-5 minutes on each side and remove. (Overcooked liver is the worst thing on the planet.)

I like to make brown gravy to serve with it and if I'm going to make gravy then I'm going to make mashed potatoes.

And it looks exactly like 7sdad's photo.

Comment

My dog eats liver.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            This is the most intriguing recipe for liver I have ever seen (and I hate liver), but why the coconut oil? Why not just use all duck fat? Seems to me the coconut oil would impart a waxy texture and slightly tropical flavor that one might find off putting. Don’t use it enough to know, though.
                            It seems to me that the original recipe may have called for duck fat and for the life of me I don’t remember why I use coconut oil but it works. I guess it helps bind the pate’ together better but if it imparts any other flavor to it then it’s very subtle.

Comment

salt and pepper some flour. Dredge the liver in the flour then place in a hot pan with oil. Brown both sides, remove it, add a touch more oil then sautee some onion, once the onion is almost clear add the liver and cover with a brown gravy and let it simmer until the liver is done.
                              Place Cooked White or Brown rice on the plate, add a slice of liver, the cover it with the gravy and onion...

Now I want Liver for Dinner...

Comment

Chicken fried chicken livers or calf liver and onions!

Comment

Working...
                                X