HPBT for hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    .308 165 sounds like a game king. 168 would be a SMK or TMK. The SMK is a HPBT in terms of design.
    Yes, Sierra makes a .308 165 gr. Hollow point Game king, I've used them off and on for about 45 years. They are an excellent bullet in .308 and .30/06 and I've used them in .300 Winchester too. I've also had good results on deer with the 168 grain Match King on deer.

Comment

Been using the hornady 140gr BTHP in my .260 and have absolutely hammered deer out to 500 yards ive been very impressed in consistently getting 1”-1.5” exit holes. I’m pushing them 2700fps at the muzzle.

Comment

Well, all of the above have answered my question.

One of my 308’s is sighted in with 168 FGMM. I’ll just stick to that bullet till proven otherwise.

Comment

I use two brands of bullets for deer hunting and a lot of other stuff. It's either Berger or Nosler Ballistic Tips. Both have worked very well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
            Yes, Sierra makes a .308 165 gr. Hollow point Game king, I've used them off and on for about 45 years. They are an excellent bullet in .308 and .30/06 and I've used them in .300 Winchester too. I've also had good results on deer with the 168 grain Match King on deer.
            Ah didn’t realize the GK was a hollow point. I was thinking it was a soft point for some reason. That’s what I get for thinking lol

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              Ah didn’t realize the GK was a hollow point. I was thinking it was a soft point for some reason. That’s what I get for thinking lol
              Sierra makes two versions of the 308 165 Game King.
              One is a hollow point and the other is a soft point.

Comment

A lot of match bullets make great hunting bullets.
                VLD, SMK, BTHP, A-Max, OTM, etc

Comment

I love the BTHP. They make holes. Devastating holes. I've shot a few big hogs as well. Drops them.

Thats out of a 6.5 CM 140gr

Comment

Originally posted by lwelch70 View Post
                    Not sure if this has been asked before - but does anyone have feedback on using HPBT for hunting deer and hogs? Been doing some research on .308 rounds and curious to hear from some trustworthy sources...not just the sniper forum guys...
                    Hollow point boat tails, can vary a lot. A lot of match bullets are hollow points, but I would not count on them expanding. I tried it once, with one of my 7mm Rem. Mags. It was like I shot the deer with a FMJ, zipped right through, tiny hole in and out. Luckily it was a heart shot, he made it about 40 yards and dropped. I had trouble finding both the entrance and exit holes. But he had a hole in his heart, that did the job.

But match hollow points are just one of the various hollow point boat tails. Berger makes their Elite Hunter and the VLD Hunter, both are hollow point boat tails, and look like target bullets. Berger claims they they started out making target bullets and then changed the jacketing some, mainly thinning the jacketing in the nose,. to get them to expand. That's basically their story on how they got into making hunting bullets.

I have used both Speer and a I think Sierra boat tail hollow points, with very good results.

The boat tail, reduces drag, to cut down on velocity loss at longer ranges.

Nosler has been making the Ballistic Tips, Accubonds, and Accubond Long Range bullets. Those three are basically hollow points and they are boat tails.
                    All three of those bullets are good hunting bullets. They are hollow points, with a plastic tip in the nose, to improve aerodynamics.

It really depends on what boat tail hollow point, what caliber, what weight and then what you plan on hunting. For most game in North America, there are a lot of calibers will work.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                      Are you shooting them in vital area? Shoulder? Head or neck?

Have a 308 that shoots FGMM pretty darn good, and have though about just using that. Typically run a soft point.

If close enough, it will be a neck shot, if not, center of the shoulder. If that makes any difference on performance.
                      I try to earhole em, anywhere within a couple inches of that it's beddy bie time

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        Hollow point boat tails, can vary a lot. .........
                        This is the problem. Matchkings especially are known for erratic expansion. Some like the Bergers and the 75 gr Hornady BTHP work great. Unless the match bullet is known for consistent performance on game, there's too many other good hunting bullets to choose from. And if you just want a hollow point, use the Sierra GameKing Hollow points. They're actually pretty hard bullets.

LWD

Comment

I’ve had great luck with the Sierra 165 gr. HPBT in my .308 Win. They fly great powered with Varget.

[emoji1662]

Comment

I try to load as much as I can with SMK, they do well for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X